Fordmods Logo

BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 1700

Joined: 24th Nov 2005

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

Just wondering what people think of this manifold and if it will fit under E series bonnet? It fit's under the 87-93 Stang bonnets, but i see it sits very close to the firewall, and the Stang firewalls look flatter then the E series? http://www.bbkperformance.com/products/ ... ifold.html I think it looks s**t hot and I'm after that different look to the Track heat, Victor or other intake that every man and his dog seems to bolt onto the 302.

I was going to go with the SSI-R, however it looks to be only suitable for forced induction?
http://www.bbkperformance.com/products/ ... ifold.html


I'm planning on going with AFR 185 heads, the BBK intake manifold, and i'm yet to decide on a cam.

I was looking at the Comp XE282HR as another E series fella had very good results with it, although do you think it's too big to use on the street? What would you recommend? I'm after something that is still drivable in traffic, in a manual.

And would 30lb injectors be suitable for this combo, or do i need more or less?

I was going to go with the Trickflow Track Heat top end kit and a low boost turbo setup, but firstly i think i need pistons to suit the Twisted wedge heads and the T5Z i don't think would hold up with boost which would force me to get a different box installed, which i just don't have the money for. So i will just be doing heads cam intake and tune at the moment.

In your opinions, would you go AFR's with intake and Cam, or would you just buy the TFS Track Heat top end kit?

Cheers.

 

_________________

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:53 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

I would use the best intake for the job...I don't think the bbk ones in any form have given better results than all the ones that everyone man and his dog uses...in fact slightly worse.
If you use the XE282 and AFR 185's use either a TFS-R with long runner top, Edelbrock Victor EFI or if want to maintain any semblance of bottom end without(much if at all) sacrifice to the top end use an RPM2 or Holley systemax2(if you don't mind swapping sides with your T-body).
You'll want a minimum of 3.7 gears with that cam and get the comp up to at least 10.5:1.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 1700

Joined: 24th Nov 2005

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

XR9UTE wrote:
I would use the best intake for the job...I don't think the bbk ones in any form have given better results than all the ones that everyone man and his dog uses...in fact slightly worse.
If you use the XE282 and AFR 185's use either a TFS-R with long runner top, Edelbrock Victor EFI or if want to maintain any semblance of bottom end without(much if at all) sacrifice to the top end use an RPM2 or Holley systemax2(if you don't mind swapping sides with your T-body).
You'll want a minimum of 3.7 gears with that cam and get the comp up to at least 10.5:1.


Bugger, such a shame as the BBK looks awesome.

What sort of street manners would the XE282 and TFS-R have? Being such a larger intake and cam, would i have some seriously low power until i got up the revs? (revs haha) Maybe i will steer away from that cam then, as the most i want to go to is 3.45 gears and i want it to be street happy.

I really want to use the TFS kit as it's simple, cost effective, looks good but obviously the heads would need ported to flow similar to AFR's and the whole piston/valve clearance thing is a PITA.

 

_________________

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:41 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

It sounds like you just want to bolt stuff onto your stock short? If so get the TFS kit.
XE282 does not go with 3.45's
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 3763

Joined: 25th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

Location: Sydney Australia
NSW, Australia

Agreed. 3.9's as a minimum

Brett

 

_________________

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 1700

Joined: 24th Nov 2005

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

XR9UTE wrote:
It sounds like you just want to bolt stuff onto your stock short? If so get the TFS kit.
XE282 does not go with 3.45's


In a way, yes. But i want that "bolt on stuff" to give me the best power output i can.

The only reason i went for the AFR's and XE282 was another E series fellow had this combo in his EB XR8 with an Edelbrock intake and made some insane power, he had 3.55 diff gears with stock bottom end and stock BTR. He then added two super T70 turbos and made even more insane power.

I was originally intending on going with the TFS kit, but i was told that the twisted wedge heads will cause grief with the stock pistons. Or is this only if i use anything other than the stage one cam it comes with?

 

_________________

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 1700

Joined: 24th Nov 2005

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

Oh and what do you think of this, worth a shot? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIYPNP-E ... 35aee1f686

I was going to get an aftermarket ECU or atleast something along those lines, but i would quite like to retain the stock harness etc.

 

_________________

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 121

Joined: 29th Apr 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Twisted wedge 170 heads will clear stock pistons. The xe282hr cam with stock pistons will not clear no matter what head you use. It will require notching or different pistons
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:35 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

XFWAGON wrote:
Oh and what do you think of this, worth a shot? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIYPNP-E ... 35aee1f686

I was going to get an aftermarket ECU or atleast something along those lines, but i would quite like to retain the stock harness etc.


Nope.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 1700

Joined: 24th Nov 2005

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

XR9UTE wrote:
XFWAGON wrote:
Oh and what do you think of this, worth a shot? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIYPNP-E ... 35aee1f686

I was going to get an aftermarket ECU or atleast something along those lines, but i would quite like to retain the stock harness etc.


Nope.


So J3 with tuning kit, or something else?

Also, will i need a new fuel pump? Do the Mustang Walbro 255lph pumps fit the E series cradle?

I'm going with the TFS kit. What would be the best 70mm TB to use, as I've heard that some brands have an annoying whistle?

 

_________________

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 6432

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

It was BBK that used to have a whistling sound when opening up the throttle but that was years ago. BBK sorted them out. Basically any brand TB will be fine; BBK, Accufab, Holley, Edelbrock etc etc. I run a 70mm BBK TB myself and its excellent.

 

_________________

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:52 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 1886

Joined: 26th Nov 2006

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

I don't know why you'd want to port the Twisted Wedge heads if you're putting the kit on a stock short block. 24# injectors, 70mm TB amd 75mm MAF will do you. I ran this kit on on my stock short block and made 205rwkw with a best time down the strip of 13.1@105mph without nitrous. I also fitted 1.7:1 roller rockers with the stage 1 cam without any clearance issues.

Actually, I have the Street Burner kit, but got the Track Heat spring upgrade for the heads and have recently changed to an RPMII intake which will all be sitting atop a 347 shortblock in the next few weeks.

 

_________________

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 1700

Joined: 24th Nov 2005

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

Scaffy wrote:
I don't know why you'd want to port the Twisted Wedge heads if you're putting the kit on a stock short block. 24# injectors, 70mm TB amd 75mm MAF will do you. I ran this kit on on my stock short block and made 205rwkw with a best time down the strip of 13.1@105mph without nitrous. I also fitted 1.7:1 roller rockers with the stage 1 cam without any clearance issues.

Actually, I have the Street Burner kit, but got the Track Heat spring upgrade for the heads and have recently changed to an RPMII intake which will all be sitting atop a 347 shortblock in the next few weeks.



Yeah my plans have dimmed for the engine due to lack of funds, so will just be running the TFS top end kit, a 70mm TB and 24lb'ers. Plus i doubt my T5 would handle much more power at all, and i don't have the funds for a T56 or TKO so that also put a damper on things.

That idle vid you have on youtube, is that with the stage one cam, or stage two?

 

_________________

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:40 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 1886

Joined: 26th Nov 2006

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

It's the stage one, mate.

As for the T5, if you don't smash the gears in, I've found it to survive nicely. I couldn't tell you how many passes down the strip I've done, gone through a few bottles of nitrous and a bit of spirited driving on the street as well. It's still held up really well. Maybe the last 4 or 5 months of doing nothing might change that and I lose it once the 347 goes in.

 

_________________

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: BBK SSI Intake/Cam Choice
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:50 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 1700

Joined: 24th Nov 2005

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

Location: Dunedin
New Zealand

Scaffy wrote:
It's the stage one, mate.

As for the T5, if you don't smash the gears in, I've found it to survive nicely. I couldn't tell you how many passes down the strip I've done, gone through a few bottles of nitrous and a bit of spirited driving on the street as well. It's still held up really well. Maybe the last 4 or 5 months of doing nothing might change that and I lose it once the 347 goes in.


That's good to know. With the 3.73's, where do your revs sit in 5th gear at 100kmh? I'm wanting to go to either 3:45s or higher, as my current 3:27 has such long legs with the T5Z ratios.

Ah a 347 would be nice!

 

_________________

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:37 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names