Fordmods Logo

BBK SSI intake manifold 

 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: BBK SSI intake manifold
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:52 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 43

Posts: 50

Joined: 14th Nov 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairlane NF(V8)

Location: Rotorua
New Zealand

Gudday all,

I've had a read through the forums on here about the BBK SSI intake manifold designed for the mustang.
It was mentioned that it can be reversed to fit a falcon etc etc. Has anyone on here actually fitted one of these to their falcon/fairmont/fairlane 5litre etc? If so, is there any chance of seeing some pictures of it completed and any info on how the install went, any pitfalls encountered and maybe power gains?

Cheers,

D. :)

 

_________________

My other car is a monkey.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 378

Joined: 3rd Dec 2004

Ride: EB V8

Location: Blue Mountains
NSW, Australia

Been waiting to see someone fit one of these for 2 years now. You probably saw it already, but see this thread http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... hlight=bbk. I posted a link to a test article on the first page & the link still works.
Sadly the above thread goes nowhere. Perhaps you could pick up where Mrlandau left off

 

_________________

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2450

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

I had a look at them but many people in the US don't think they're that good. Not for a street car anyway. Has all right top end power. It does look good too.

 

_________________

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:15 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 43

Posts: 50

Joined: 14th Nov 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairlane NF(V8)

Location: Rotorua
New Zealand

sam12h wrote:
Been waiting to see someone fit one of these for 2 years now. You probably saw it already, but see this thread http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... hlight=bbk. I posted a link to a test article on the first page & the link still works.
Sadly the above thread goes nowhere. Perhaps you could pick up where Mrlandau left off


Yeah saw that thread...was hoping to find out more. Ah well, we'll see.

 

_________________

My other car is a monkey.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 3763

Joined: 25th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

Location: Sydney Australia
NSW, Australia

Mustang and 5.0 mag in the states did a comparo a few months back, They came off 3 best behind the RPMII, then the Holley Systemax, then the BBK, and closely behind was the Cobra. For the money and the fact it includes fuel rails, it is a better manifold than the Cobra, but that is where that ends. This was on a 347 stroker, running an edit.
Brett

 

_________________

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:52 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 43

Posts: 50

Joined: 14th Nov 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairlane NF(V8)

Location: Rotorua
New Zealand

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Mustang and 5.0 mag in the states did a comparo a few months back, They came off 3 best behind the RPMII, then the Holley Systemax, then the BBK, and closely behind was the Cobra. For the money and the fact it includes fuel rails, it is a better manifold than the Cobra, but that is where that ends. This was on a 347 stroker, running an edit.
Brett


Yeah saw that too...looking for something more local though. Surely someone's done it in Aus/NZ? More interested in how it worked out in the local 5 litre in a falcon etc. with the configurations/engine layout being slightly different.

D.

 

_________________

My other car is a monkey.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: intake
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2410

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

How does the trickflow come up against these other units going around, i currently have a trickflow but sure if its a street or track heat unit as they look very similar.

Anything else better flowing out here?

 

_________________

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: intake
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3552

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

Location: Penrith
NSW, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
How does the trick flow come up against these other units going around, i currently have a trick flow but sure if its a street or track heat unit as they look very similar.

Anything else better flowing out here?


Depends on combination of rest of engine???
A higher flowing manifold will often result in less torque at lower rpm..Then you start getting into race inlets etc
The Holley Systemax is good but faces wrong side...

 

_________________

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: intake
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2410

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Yeh mine practically a street race 347 & was told by the engine builder to go 8 throttle bodie setup but would cost a fortune. I was thinking of going the carby injection type but with 2 carbs which should flow well.

 

_________________

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:50 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 43

Posts: 50

Joined: 14th Nov 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairlane NF(V8)

Location: Rotorua
New Zealand

So anyway....back to the topic at hand....... :?

Talkin' 302(5 litre) and the BBK SSI intake. Plenty of forums already created to talk about the other stuff.
I don't have a stroked 347, nor am I interested in info on other intakes....there's enough of that already that I can read about. :)

Cheers Guys. :wink:

D.

 

_________________

My other car is a monkey.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Posts: 311

Joined: 3rd Jan 2006

Location: tauranga
New Zealand

AS ebxr8380 said depends what you want to do rpm11 ,tfickflow etc are good for top end etc if its an auto and you want torque you cant beat a gt40 tubular they are the torque king!!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:27 am 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

danboy wrote:
TerroristGHIA wrote:
Mustang and 5.0 mag in the states did a comparo a few months back, They came off 3 best behind the RPMII, then the Holley Systemax, then the BBK, and closely behind was the Cobra. For the money and the fact it includes fuel rails, it is a better manifold than the Cobra, but that is where that ends. This was on a 347 stroker, running an edit.
Brett


Yeah saw that too...looking for something more local though. Surely someone's done it in Aus/NZ? More interested in how it worked out in the local 5 litre in a falcon etc. with the configurations/engine layout being slightly different.

D.


Local 5.0HO is the same as the U.S. 5.0HO as it is fully imported from the U.S. so the results will be the same.

Pete.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:40 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 43

Posts: 50

Joined: 14th Nov 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairlane NF(V8)

Location: Rotorua
New Zealand

XR9UTE wrote:

Local 5.0HO is the same as the U.S. 5.0HO as it is fully imported from the U.S. so the results will be the same.

Pete.


Yup, I understand that fact....but open up the bonnet of a mustang, and open up the bonnet of a falcon and things are laid out differently. You have to reverse the intake, computer's are different, etc etc...THAT'S what I'm talking about. Also emmissions regulations are different in the US to AUS/NZ. So there will be differences once the engine has been put into the local cars. Please, I have done SOME homework, I just want local info on someone who may have installed it on their falcon etc. Not interested in stroked, worked, imported or anything other than the locally setup 5 litre in the configuration it's in in the local vehicles. Taa.

D.

 

_________________

My other car is a monkey.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 661

Joined: 2nd Dec 2004

Ride: AU XR8

Location: Wollongong
NSW, Australia

By almost all reports the BBK SSI was a bit of a fizzer.

What cylinder heads, and what sort of rpm is your 302 danboy?

IMO, for a street 302 (up to 6000rpm), a Cobra/Explorer intake with a ported lower would be the way to go. And relatively cheap to get a hold of in Australia as well...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:11 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

danboy wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

Local 5.0HO is the same as the U.S. 5.0HO as it is fully imported from the U.S. so the results will be the same.

Pete.


Yup, I understand that fact....but open up the bonnet of a mustang, and open up the bonnet of a falcon and things are laid out differently. You have to reverse the intake, computer's are different, etc etc...THAT'S what I'm talking about. Also emmissions regulations are different in the US to AUS/NZ. So there will be differences once the engine has been put into the local cars. Please, I have done SOME homework, I just want local info on someone who may have installed it on their falcon etc. Not interested in stroked, worked, imported or anything other than the locally setup 5 litre in the configuration it's in in the local vehicles. Taa.

D.


Ok, intake direction makes no measureable difference to engine performance.
Computer is the same. The Calibration is slightly different due to the fact that the engine is in a different car. Mustang being lighter has a more aggressive spark map but that's about it.
Emissions regs are lax here by comparison hence no thermactor emissions devices used here.
At the end of the day were talking about port flow,port velocity and flow balance. These things don't care about intake direction, what car it's in, and what emissions regs apply.
I agree the tests would be more relevent on stock 5.0 engines but I have seen tests on this intake on stock 5.0 HO engines(on an engine dyno) and the result is the same...not any better(but usually worse) than most other aftermarket intakes.
They do have short runner type similar to the box upper TFS-R but this is not worth consideration for a stock or mildly modded 302.

Cheers,
Pete.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:21 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names