Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Best Engine Combo For Circut Sprints on A Budget
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Falcon XR8

VIC, Australia

Hey guys

I need some advice on what Engine Combo i should get for my car.
I've got a 95 EF XR8, engine is pretty much stock but i am looking at getting the GTP40 Heads & Explorer Manifold.
I am also looking at the Throttle Body and MAF but not quite sure what sizes to go for? As well as Cam?
The car will be spending many weekends at Winton, Sandown & Phillip Island but will be used on the streets as well for the moment.
I'm pretty much on a budget as i have allready spend quite a bit on suspension so i'm not looking for huge power at the moment but what power levels could i get for around $2500-3000?

Need help guys!!!!!!
Sick of being past down the straights!

Thanks
James

BPT Race Series Underdrives, Gennie Extractors, Single 3" Exhaust System, Exeedy Heavy Duty Clutch, DBA Slotted Rotors, Ferodo Formula Brake Pads, Quadrent/Bilstein Height Adjustable Front Coilovers, Matched Bilstein Shocks/Quadrent Springs, Nolathane Bushes, Dunlop Formula R D01J Tyres

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

G'day James,

Sounds like a very nice little set-up you have there.

Hehe, getting past down the straights sounds like a very familiar thing to happen to windsors with the old E7 & HO combo.

For $2500-$3000 i think you'd be pushing it to do the cam aswell. That cash will definately get your Explorer manifold, GT40P heads and a 65mm t/b. You will still have change to go for a 75mm AU MAF housing and a tune aswell, if you get the tune done for around the $1000 mark.

If you can do all the work yourself you may get away with the cam, but you could pretty much forget about the tune, so you'd have to go for a fairly mild cam like a Crow 621371 that would run on the std ECU.

But being a track car you would want a cam that has more top end, therefore being abit wilder which will require the need for a tune.

Jeff

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Last edited by XH5LWEPN on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

sorry i forgot to mention that I am a apprentice mechanic and i would be doing the work my self with some help from the guys at work.
I was hoping to maybe get a tune as well but that might push the budget a bit more.
Thanks for the advice XH5LWEPN

Please keep it coming.....
Thanks
James

BPT Race Series Underdrives, Gennie Extractors, Single 3" Exhaust System, Exeedy Heavy Duty Clutch, DBA Slotted Rotors, Ferodo Formula Brake Pads, Quadrent/Bilstein Height Adjustable Front Coilovers, Matched Bilstein Shocks/Quadrent Springs, Nolathane Bushes, Dunlop Formula R D01J Tyres

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ahh good stuff, makes it alot easier.

I suggest you get onto Yella Terra ASAP and see if they have any of their GT40P heads left. They are around the $600 mark which is a great price.

The explorer Manifold you should be able to find for around the $500 mark, will let you know if i come across one.

The cam i may suggest if you cant afford the tune, would be the Crow 621371, these are around $400.

You would want a set of Adjustable roller rockers aswell. You may be able to make a deal with yella terra if you get the heads aswell, but usually around the $500 mark. These will make life soo much easier when it comes to rocker geometry etc.

The 65mm t/b off an AU you should be able to find for about $200, a quick search on E-bay might show some.

Gaskets, headbolts etc will come to around $650 bucks. Then you have got oil, coolant etc in which you should have readily available at work. Being a mechanic you should get very good prices on gaskets etc aswell. But with the head gaskets use nothing other than Felpro 1011-1's.

That should almost fill your budget, so i dare say it'll all be possible with $3000 if you do the work yourself, and would make avery nice little combo, and should give you a much better chance on the straights lol.

Good luck mate, anymore questions just fire away.

Jeff

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

So if i was to go with just the standard heads for the moment with the standard rockers, what other sort of cams are a good option? I would try to fit in a tune if possible.
I checked out that cam and it says its for auto trans cars but i've got a manual so would 621317 be the one to go from crow cams?
I would go new gaskets and head gasket and left out the head bolts just use standard ones for now.
I will do the rockers and the rest down the track. worst part about being a apprentice is the $$$
Thanks for the advice again Jeff very helpfull

Any other ideas? So i can try to start getting a list together?

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

projekt_j wrote:
So if i was to go with just the standard heads for the moment with the standard rockers, what other sort of cams are a good option? I would try to fit in a tune if possible.
I checked out that cam and it says its for auto trans cars but i've got a manual so would 621317 be the one to go from crow cams?
I would go new gaskets and head gasket and left out the head bolts just use standard ones for now.
I will do the rockers and the rest down the track. worst part about being a apprentice is the $$$
Thanks for the advice again Jeff very helpfull

Any other ideas? So i can try to start getting a list together?

If you want results, do what the guy^^^^ said, half a job is a sh!t job, and sh!t jobs don't give results. Start saving your $$$$$.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:30 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Don't bother putting an aftermarket cam in with unported stock heads and manifold.
If you want to do a cheap sort of upgrade without touching heads, look at getting an explorer manifold with 65mm TB and a bigger MAF with a tune.
That'll basically bring your engine up to ELII XR8 spec + bigger MAF.
Then save cash for decent heads :)

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What sort of speeds to you need to reach ? If you've still got head room on the straights diff gears would get you moving a bit more briskly too.

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Mate i agree with Steady ED, if you REALLY cant afford it just go the Explorer manifold, 65mm T/B, 75mm MAF and a tune. But with this, you wont see any more than 160rwkw without a doubt.

Just remember the best thing you could do is ditch the heads. If i was you i was push the best i can to do the whole lot, at the end of the day your gonna get the best BANG FOR YA BUCK. The E7 heads its whats gonna hold you back.

As far as the cam goes, without looking up the specs again, i think the 317 is a little more wild than the 371, therefore pushing the limits of the std ECU, but then again if you gonna go tune go for the larger cam.

Hyena has a good point also, a diff ratio change may see a nice improvement on the track.

Jeff

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:32 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

winton loves 3.9's the short straights and tight turns from about 7 to 10 require the low punch a good set of gears will give you.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hyena wrote:
What sort of speeds to you need to reach ? If you've still got head room on the straights diff gears would get you moving a bit more briskly too.

At the moment fastest i can get down the main straight is about 150km's at Winton, Sorta scary when a AU XR6 can just slightly pull away from you down the straight.

This is great advice guys thank you.
I agree i really shouldn't do it half assed. Might have to just wait it out for a while till i save up enough.

Last edited by projekt_j on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

as XH5LWEPN said give yella terra a buz and see if they still have any of thoes brand new 40p's left, for $600 they are hard to beat and last i looked at them they were willing do do some deals with rockers aswell. explorer manifolds and 65mm t/b's will always be floating around cheap but new heads at that price are rare as. just somthing to keep in mind when on a tight budget.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Whatever heads you have UPGRADE the valve springs!!! This you can do yourelf.. With 130 seat and 350Lb over the nose...Being roller cam they require relativley stiff springs..
Some 1:72 roller rockers on std cam works o/k if you don't want to open engine....
3:7 or 3:9 final drive helps..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

It really depends on what you want out of your car. If you want to go all out = big bucks. If you want to do a bit here and a bit there, there is no real way with these motors. The whole top of the motor sucks. Ideally you should change these and even better at the same time as you would have to replace gaskets etc anyway.

For your budget, perhaps going supercharged would be somthing to think about?

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

banarcus wrote:
It really depends on what you want out of your car. If you want to go all out = big bucks. If you want to do a bit here and a bit there, there is no real way with these motors. The whole top of the motor sucks. Ideally you should change these and even better at the same time as you would have to replace gaskets etc anyway.

For your budget, perhaps going supercharged would be somthing to think about?

The only thing about supercharging is that i don't know if that sort of setup is suited to track work.
If the general idea from everyone is to save up and do the top end properly that may be the option i have to go with.
So i suppose then i might have to ask another question, if i was to save up what combo & parts would be good for around the 300-350rwhp mark?
I think that should be more than enough at the threads to set some quick times.

Thanks
James

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next