Fordmods Logo

Big Dreams can you give me some feedback please? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Big Dreams can you give me some feedback please?
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 96 coon

NSW, Australia

Hi,

I have never owned a V8, have owned and had mates own a couple falcon 6s and played around with cams and what not, also some mates with turbo japs and the like. But I have my heart set on (one day) building a v8.

Pretty much I would like to know roughly what went into this car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ektTw5lpoyY

It is d**k Johnson's 83 XE.

I understand it has a 351C and whatnot but if anyone knows more specific things please do share.

What I would like to know is:

Engine - stroked? Obviously strengthened bottom end, highly ported head, big cams, high flow manifolds etc. What brands/products on the market would I be using to build such an engine ie. what carbys/manifolds etc

Gearbox - mine would have to be a manual, which gearbox would be used in this car? Could you retrofit a t56?

Diff - strengthened 9"?

I would also love to knock if a company sells a similar bodykit to that one. The aforementioned gear would all go into an XE.

Cheers for your advice

Post subject: Re: Big Dreams can you give me some feedback please?
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yep they all can be done with expertise, components and money !!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Well it wouldnt be bad to have a replica of that at all!

Engine - 351-383-393-408 depends on the budget and use, you can make some alot of power from a stock stroke 351. Heads either CHI or AFD. They make them in alloy and in 2v,2v,4v and in a number of sizes to suit cubes and applications. They are the ducks nuts in terms of heads. A single plane high rise manifold will supply enough, a dual plane if its a streeter, and good size vac secondry for street, DP if drag/race. Parker make a good manifold, if you are running CHI heads, it is good to run one of their manifolds too, they are the goods.

Gearbox - Toploader will struggle if its a heap, t56 can be retrofitted, Tremec TKO 600 is another option too (probably ideal, better ratio's and smaller insize) and can handle around the same amount of grunt. If you would want an auto, a C4 but i dont think you're after one..

Diff - 9 inch, depends on how many spline axles i guess and how much power you're running.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford, AUII ute

QLD, Australia

schnoods wrote:
Well it wouldnt be bad to have a replica of that at all!

Engine - 351-383-393-408 depends on the budget and use, you can make some alot of power from a stock stroke 351. Heads either CHI or AFD. They make them in alloy and in 2v,2v,4v and in a number of sizes to suit cubes and applications. They are the ducks nuts in terms of heads. A single plane high rise manifold will supply enough, a dual plane if its a streeter, and good size vac secondry for street, DP if drag/race. Parker make a good manifold, if you are running CHI heads, it is good to run one of their manifolds too, they are the goods.

Gearbox - Toploader will struggle if its a heap, t56 can be retrofitted, Tremec TKO 600 is another option too (probably ideal, better ratio's and smaller insize) and can handle around the same amount of grunt. If you would want an auto, a C4 but i dont think you're after one..

Diff - 9 inch, depends on how many spline axles i guess and how much power you're running.

To the best of my knowledge a Tremec IS a 5 speed Top Loader with an overdrive.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Djs xd/e falcons had between 450-500flywheel hp, alot for back then.They were standard stroke 351 clevos

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 2002 XR8 manual

NSW, Australia

Pretty sure a tree went into that motor! :P

AU XR8 manual.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]