Fordmods Logo

Blend Door Motor 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Blend Door Motor
Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB 5L % Spd

WA, Australia

Hi every one I have an EB Fairmont 5L Windsor which needs this problem fixed b4 I take it over the pits again for rego.
The heater will not discharge hot air in any directioin at all.I suspect it's the BLEND DOOR MOTOR as indicated by the diagnostics as an E2 error.Can anyone give me any advise on how to access this without the usual removal of the entire dash?Otherwise is there any known quick fix to make this thing work?

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 98 F.B.T

VIC, Australia

Hi there is no quick fix you must remove dash and sorry no quick fix avalible

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:11 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

During the self test, you should be able to hear the Blend Door motor (BDM) operate - if not, that's not a good sign as you know :cry: .
The only thing I would suggest is to pull the Climate control dash unit, pull the plug, locate the 2 wires for the motor in the plug, and apply 12v, changing polarity when you apply it as well - this cycles the motor in both directions. If by some chance it operates normally, your dash unit could be playing up, or the plug contacts are a bit dodgy. On the other hand, the BDM potentiometer maybe a bit dirty, and isn't giving accurate feedback, which means the BDM has to come out anyway.

Probably this won't work, but it's the only thing you can do before pulling the whole dash.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

why do u need this for rego, the bdm in my car had been dead scince we had purcahsed it and it passed rwc and everything....
if u search for bdm on interior mods you shouuld see a post by me that tells u how to fix it ;)
bye bye....
Mitch

Post subject: Re: Blend Door Motor
Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:15 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: BA XR6T, 93 EB XR8, ZJ 351

NSW, Australia

timbermachining wrote:
Hi every one I have an EB Fairmont 5L Windsor which needs this problem fixed b4 I take it over the pits again for rego.
The heater will not discharge hot air in any directioin at all.I suspect it's the BLEND DOOR MOTOR as indicated by the diagnostics as an E2 error.Can anyone give me any advise on how to access this without the usual removal of the entire dash?Otherwise is there any known quick fix to make this thing work?

Not sure but the fact it wont direct the air to different vents may just mean lack of vacuum?! It was in my case. Worth checking before you pull the dash out!

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,
EBGT RIMS, AU MAF, AU T/B, BOXED POD, CAI,
ELGT EXTRACTORS & SPRINT EXHAUST

BAXR6T Lowered, Kompact BOV thats all....so far
ZJ 351 Fairlane, a work in "slow" progress

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB 5L % Spd

WA, Australia

xygthoph3 and snap0964 thanks for the advise everyone.I did remove the dash to access the BDM and after testing found it was OK.Fitted the thing and did a diagnostic & guess what it worked.The car was unused for a couple of years B4 I bought it and I guess the control unit didn't know it had a BDM so it re calibrated itself (I'd like to think).Given I now had access to the heater unit I replaced all the perished foam seals I could get to and fixed some broken flaps while I was at it.
mitch-anderson Why the need for BDM to work? Well that is a mystery to me I think the examiners wanted hot air flow to the demister and were sticking to the rules.
blueblood,yes you're right but in my case I had a couple of broken flaps so I fixed them.
I'll know for sure once I put all the innys and outys back,but I'm confident that the mungrell will work now like it should

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:56 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Well done, may as well sort the system out - it's there to be used. It's surprising how many BDM faults come up on these forums, given they are reasonably robust, and only control an air flap.
Having said that though, when I installed CC to my EL, I found the recirc air flap shaft broken :shock: .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

mitch_anderson wrote:
why do u need this for rego, the bdm in my car had been dead scince we had purcahsed it and it passed rwc and everything....
if u search for bdm on interior mods you shouuld see a post by me that tells u how to fix it ;)
bye bye....
Mitch

Need to be able to send hot air to the windscreen.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:30 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: EF fairmont + upgrades

VIC, Australia

something so small and something that can fail should have been left somewere accessable
is there a way to gain access to the blend air and have it open for winter and closed for summer or vice versa ??

need a rotisserie for a classic resto 0471525912 Tom

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

muncher2002 wrote:
something so small and something that can fail should have been left somewere accessable
is there a way to gain access to the blend air and have it open for winter and closed for summer or vice versa ??

Im sure the engineers thought the way you do, but the accountants dont.
They only had to design them to last out the warranty period (which was only 2 years up until the EL)
Its now 11-21 years since these E-series BDMs have been around.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]