Fordmods Logo

BOSS V8 Problems 

Page 3 of 9 [ 125 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:12 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Old chain guides are plastic, new ones metal.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 221 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I have been in a few in my time and i think that you must test drive the car before buying it. The 5.6L motors where very good motors but so are the BOSS motors. Neither can be put down too much. Either way they are better then the holden motors. I mean this new 6.0L is susposed to be realy fast and powerful and last friday i had a run with a Black Manual VE SS it was only to about 80 and it would have been lucky to ahve had half a car length on me and i didnt even stall my car up so the good old 5.6L and BOSS motors are nothing to be asshamed off.

Griffo

Ps the engine noise of the BOSS s**t over the AU motors

ED XR6 manual for sale. MOMO steering wheel and alot of extra's. PM for more info.

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

griffo161 wrote:
I have been in a few in my time and i think that you must test drive the car before buying it. The 5.6L motors where very good motors but so are the BOSS motors. Neither can be put down too much. Either way they are better then the holden motors. I mean this new 6.0L is susposed to be realy fast and powerful and last friday i had a run with a Black Manual VE SS it was only to about 80 and it would have been lucky to ahve had half a car length on me and i didnt even stall my car up so the good old 5.6L and BOSS motors are nothing to be asshamed off.

Griffo

Ps the engine noise of the BOSS s**t over the AU motors

In all seriousness , I would have to agree that it's difficult to compare the 2 engines as they are not only completely different but also make their power and torque in diferent ways.

But come on, every one that hears my AU comments on how you never get the new ones sounding like it with the V8 throb. And it stands to reason a refined twin DOHC (quad cams) motor is never going to get that raspiness without serious reworking of cam profiles. That old school atiquated technology and single cam profile in the Windsor is what gives it that rough and ready don't F&@k with me raspy throb. I dont draw cops attention but one quick rev in the shopping centre and I p#ss myself at the BMW and rice burner alarms going off.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:08 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

My GT-P will set off alarms too. And has a nice burble. The stock exhaust can't give you that.

A lot of HSV and VE owners are annoyed cause the stock exhausts are so damn quiet (more so than XR8 and GT exhausts).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:49 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

kenny wrote:
cobraR heads are factory fitted, I was lucky enough to have an FPV engine fitted from the factory, along with a 6 speed manual.
The injectors are of no benefit until later stages of the project, but allow plenty of headroom when tuning.
But believe it or not, I am still running factory headers (with a bit of grinding/re-welding).
The boss 260-290 has a lot of modern improvement over the pushrod type V8, but from the factory leaves o bit to be desired!
I'm gonna get my a** kicked over this but check out the link!
P.S this testing was performed in a controlled environment, off public roads and 100% legal!!!!
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q271 ... ction=view¤t=05-01-07_1704.flv

can i ask where u are getting this information? the reason i ask is that i work at a ford dealership and there is only one head/valve gear etc listed for BA XR8 motors.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:08 am 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Falcon BA GT

WA, Australia

Hey Kenny, Let me know the catch code of your BA and I will tell you what you have there.
The bare heads are the same from the 260 and 290 which are sourced from the 99 up 4 valve tumble port head as found on US 4.6 and 5.4. The difference is in cam shaft profile from the 260 to the 290 in which case the 260 uses a blend of generic camshaft profiles sorced from the US parts bin and the 290 has unique camshaft grind that is nearly the same as the Cobra R shaft design in the US.

The heads on a Cobra R are somewhat different to the heads we run and will not support our valvetrain components.

The throttle bodies have not changed from the original visteon 70mm design unless you have one of ours which we used the original OEM body and fitted a 75mm butterfy, as far as I know we were the only company to do this.

As I said before let me know the catch code as it would be not acceptable to run a boss 260 tune on a high compression engine and visa versa.

Barry.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: NC Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Hi Guys ,

Just gotta tell ya that no matter what Kenny is runnin in his machine , I have followed him (or tried to on a cruise) and cannot believe the note and ball tearing power that the Green Machine produces.

I have witnessed him at 90Kph , decide to overtake another vehicle, and actually manage to break traction and fully drift pass the other vehicle in doing so. Blew my mind that it could even happen , but i saw it with my own eyes...

Just hate to be paying for his tyre bill , coz he sure damn doesn't waste time smokin em up... hahahaha

But just to verify , under his bonnet looks pretty stock standard to the average joe like me...

Gotta luv the smell of burnin rubber in the mornin !

Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I've got a Mk2 BA with the 6 speed manual. My catch code is A3XA. I can tell you that it will beat hands down, a BF with the ZF, no problem at all. As for different internals, I wouldn't have a clue but I've driven 4 spd XR8s, 6Ts and the ZF equipped BF and my BA will give those that I've driven a real run for their money. The problem that I have is the standard clutch will not handle the grunt that I have which isn't all that much from standard.

Low qual video on a track somewhere in the hunter valley:

http://people.aapt.net.au/kzaicos/Photos/XR8%20001.wmv

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

I am in the process of fitting a street/strip 11" F100 clutch & pressure plate as I started to slip the second clutch that has been fitted (XR6 turbo this time). So far they have the same spline & bolt patern as the stock unit, but almost double the clamping force, Ive just gotta play around with a few different thrust race setups to find the optimum part.
So when Ive won, I'll post the partlist required, as I believe that it will only cost around $600 , compared to $2200 for an equivalent package to suit.

Oh as for where I got my info, is from ford, this is what they quoted.
"Heads
Twin overhead camshafts per bank with four valves per cylinder to produce a deep-breathing, high-performance engine for exciting and consistent power and torque delivery right up to the red line.

The heads are cast in aluminium alloy to minimise weight and to reach the optimum operating temperature faster. They feature an improved Cobra R design with a straighter, better-breathing inlet port."

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey I know that "track" too, its a wonder you havent seen my car around that way!

Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

also, 70mm only? dont think so.

A 75 mm throttle body with drive-by-wire linkage eliminates the noise and vibration path that a mechanical linkage generates as it enters the cabin.
also quoted on the fpv homesite.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I'll keep and eye out for you kenny. Also, I've seen madmax's fairlane around too but cannot remember exactly where!

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

look for this!

Attachments:
File comment: the final look

i hope!

daddies toy.jpg
daddies toy.jpg [ 56.54 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

james22 wrote:
kenny wrote:
maybe stock...... but to get the windsor to go much better without a realy good cheque book, the windsor is just a good "boat anchor" even this task is a little out of its league!

Excuse me but bull-s-h-i-t

My "little windsor", has more power than a stock BA-BF XR8. Approx 261 kw at the fly (201.3 rwkw), and unlike the boss which has no balls down low. I lay rubber the second i hit the gas. And it is still un opened and has cost me SFA to get it there. I leave BA-BF XR8's time and time again, doing damn well for a boat anchor if you ask me.

Your stock BOSS doesnt come close to a power curve like this - and I havnt even done my custom flash tune yet. These AFR's are off

BA-BF XR8 figures are around 208-212rwkw actually! thats without headers, powerstat, or phenolic spacer &not even a sports filter...
how much does all that cost, & put it into a BA watch th results!

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

kenny wrote:
BA-BF XR8 figures are around 208-212rwkw actually! thats without headers, powerstat, or phenolic spacer ¬ even a sports filter...
how much does all that cost, & put it into a BA watch th results!

I'd love to know where that figure came from, the avg loss through drive train is usually around 30%.
But, i have no doubt that Mocks dyno would give you 210 at the rear on a stocker.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 9  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next