Fordmods Logo

Buying EF Ghia V8, WHAT TO CHECK? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Buying EF Ghia V8, WHAT TO CHECK?
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I am buying an EF Ghia V8. What are the main things to have checked in this sort of car??
Has 159,000 k's, LPG, runs smooth, auto slightly hard shifts 2nd to third and 3rd to 4th. other then that great, had a torque race with a ve sv6 today (those of you who drive windsors will know what I mean !LOL)
and he was not happy that I stayed with him, all the while only doing 2,500rpm *lol*

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Check the coolant, check the oil and listen for rattles.

Also check the tranny fluid, if it seems good there she should be fine, especially if it idles fine.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

schnoods wrote:
Check the coolant, check the oil and listen for rattles.

Also check the tranny fluid, if it seems good there she should be fine, especially if it idles fine.

yeah all that seems ok, but funny thing is it seems to respond better to being slowly pushed and not put flat to the floor, I dare say that at the moment- my eb manual wagon 6cyl) would kill it over 100km/h it seems to not have much top end when you belt it to the floor on 100, but if you torque it up it seems to go better....funny. idles great, cant even tell shes on a diet of lpg.

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

Check that the climate control changes from floor to centre vents to screen. Also check that heater core is not leaking; damp floor, smell of coolant when CC on warm.

A/C cold?

Check for coolant leaks around timing cover.

Power windows: run smoothly?

Trans: no slipping especially in reverse up a steep hill, smelly fluid, service details.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Stick your hand under the car and feel the door sill for rust. EFs and ELs are common for rusting on the doors sills.
Where the painted bit is under the doors feel the inboard side of that from under the car all the way along.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

V8 Ghia Mike wrote:
Check that the climate control changes from floor to centre vents to screen. Also check that heater core is not leaking; damp floor, smell of coolant when CC on warm.

A/C cold?

Check for coolant leaks around timing cover.

Power windows: run smoothly?

Trans: no slipping especially in reverse up a steep hill, smelly fluid, service details.

Mike

Actually, The climate has sticking buttons- but it does change from floor to screen, I need to get a new unit.
A/c works great. Cruise sometimes wont go on, dunno why. I will have it looked at.
I am only a little disappointed that the car is slower then I thought, but hey they are really just a cruiser, i guess unless u do the heads, intake exhaust etc..but it loves the gas, and returns around 400 k's to 70 litres which I suppose thats ok.

EF Ghia 5L V8

Post subject: Re: Buying EF Ghia V8, WHAT TO CHECK?
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:07 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

raff-26 wrote:
I am buying an EF Ghia V8. What are the main things to have checked in this sort of car??
Has 159,000 k's, LPG, runs smooth, auto slightly hard shifts 2nd to third and 3rd to 4th. other then that great, had a torque race with a ve sv6 today (those of you who drive windsors will know what I mean !LOL)
and he was not happy that I stayed with him, all the while only doing 2,500rpm *lol*

The guy in the SV6 would have blown your doors off if he would have been bothered. You'll be lucky to crack a 16.0!!!!!! Truth hurts, but hey not to worry because my car isn't running yet LOL :D

Post subject: Re: Buying EF Ghia V8, WHAT TO CHECK?
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

t2te50 wrote:
raff-26 wrote:

The guy in the SV6 would have blown your doors off if he would have been bothered. You'll be lucky to crack a 16.0!!!!!! Truth hurts, but hey not to worry because my car isn't running yet LOL :D

really?? oh I didnt know..... when u get a windsor, u will know what I mean my a torque race mate.....slow driving only using torque of motor say max 3 revs.....anyone else know what I mean?>?

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

yes i know ... but with my 6 running a 360hp flow head and EF cam with s**t long gearing the torque is amazing.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]