Can't get clevo to start 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Can't get clevo to start
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xf s packute, zh fairlane

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, got a frustrating problem.

Have an old zh fairlane, 302, used to run, has only done 220k k's, anyway about 18 months ago it backfired and would not start again. I was having issues with the old points dizzy, so changed for one of the 50k volt ones, starter was slow, so recond that.

Anyway the bloody thing has spark, timing seems to be right (according to the dizzy rotor placement and TDC).....can't get it to start, not even remotely look like starting.

yes I have made sure it's getting fuel...

I originally thought it may have jumped a tooth on the timing chain but the timing chain is a double row I fitted about 5 years ago and if that was the case the timing marks would be out when positioned where the dizzy fires at TDC (approx) on No 1 cylinder.

I am stumped....maybe a broken cam? Lifters? Pushrods?

It has been sitting for a long time and when you crank it over it does have a deep noise (like a Knock in the bottom end)....it had bottom end oil pressure issues when it was still on the road, I spun a main bearing!

Thanks for the help Guys!

Post subject: Re: Can't get clevo to start
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

It is probably 180 degrees out. Pull the valve covers, make sure the engine is firing on #1 when the pointer is on TDC, then make sure the dizzy is poited at #1. It can have the best spark in the world and not fire if it's timed wrong.... 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks mate.

I had a look last time I mucked around with it and checked the position of the rotor button and it appeared that it was 180 degrees out....the rotor button was positioned towards the front drivers side r corner.....according to the manual it should be under no 1 on the dizzy cap at TDC...which means the rotor is facing towards the passangers side door (make sense)....

Still no change when I did that, so I am stumped......

The dizzy has a nice blue spark.....I tip fuel down the carb...won't even kick....pulled out no 1 and checked that the plug was firing...that's where I saw the nice blue spark...

I really have no idea where to go next....except pulling it out and stripping it!

Thanks
Anthony

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Don't give up - pull the valve covers off, turn the motor over by hand until the timing mark is at TDC, and make note if the rocker arms on #1 cylinder are "rocking" or if both valves are shut. (If there rocking, turn the crank another 180 degrees). Then look at where the rotor is pointing, and make that your #1 position. Then check the firing order is correct on the cap from there. If it is timed right, which it will be if you have done the above, and has fuel and spark, it should fire up.
Goods luck. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks mate,

it has been a real pain....we (my family) have had this car since 1980...It was my Stepfathers car...and is an ex NSW police car, not patrol car but a plainclothes car....has some intersting features, like full sump guard, heavy duty shock mounts, I lost the production broadcast schedule for it years ago...but still have the log book as sold to NSW police...want to do it up to keep....have a 351 crank and rods and some decent bits to liven it up but need to get it running to move around while I work on the body!

Thanks again for the tips...will have a look in a couple of weeks when I get back to where the car is, and post!

cheers
Anthony

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:38 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

do a compression test then each cylinder a squirt of oil maybe rings clogged up while setting. Connect timing light place light next to pointer for TDC turn key ok turn motor by hand with all plugs out should get light flash check where it flashes on crank pulley. if all ok refit spark plugs open throttle fully, squirt carby cleaner down carby venturi relesease throttle crank engine should start or misfire if misfires recheck firing order make sure leads dont cross over each other, dumb question no1 lead is lefthand front looking at engine from radiator

gassa

When the clutch drops the bull s**t stops!!!!!

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks mate,

you could be right, I do remember that it backfired when it was running.....just stopped and wouldn't run again, changed carb from a 65ocfm vac sc holley to carter thermoquad/ same....won't fire or run...but heaps of spark.

I wonder if the timing chain may have jumped a couple of teeth....although I broke it about 10 years ago and put a double row chain on it...so it shouldn't...

anyway will try what you suggest mate when I get back to the car.

Cheers
Anthony, xfspackute

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NF with all the fruit

SA, Australia

xfspackute wrote:
The dizzy has a nice blue spark.....I tip fuel down the carb...won't even kick....

If it wont even kick, there's no explosion. Has to be a timing issue. As stated, rip off left (drivers side) rocker cover and make sure its at TDC. Both valve rockers should 'rattle' from side to side. Pop off the dizzy cap, the rotor should point to the ignition lead of number 1 cylinder. The harmonic balancer should be at (roughly) TDC. If not, your balancer may have slipped, or its the timing chain. A backfire under load is an awesome event, mechanically. Let us know how you get on.

Bent pushrod or valve, engine will still fire. Even run !!

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

why dont you go to fast efi google it and loose the carby crap and keep the old car,sounds like the dizzy is 180 out,the rotor has to point to number 1 on the cap post on TDC

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

here you go,something like this > http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FAST-EZ-EFI- ... 2ec66f9475 - you could have it going in a weekend

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]