Fordmods Logo

Canadian, eh? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Canadian, eh?
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

Hello,

My girlfriend and I may be getting transferred to Melbourne in the near future. I understand that cars (models) are quite different down under compared to North America (not to mention that the steering wheel is on the right side!!). I have always been a Ford nut. I have owned a 1969 Cougar with a 428 CJ. I currently own a 1982 Mustang GT.
My questions: (please excuse my ignorance to your auto industry)
1) After viewing the classifieds, I am interested in swapping a V8 Windsor or Cleveland, whatever, into a Falcon ('85-'95 manual trans). Is this feasible?
2) Are there any Ford V8's (and T5's) available at the salvage yards? (there are many over here, we can bring a container with us :wink: )
3) Do cars have to pass any inspections (rego?) which discourages or makes swaps illegal?
4) Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Marty

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

1: 1985-1991 falcons (XF from 85-87, EA from 1988-1991) never came as a V8 from the factory, but many people have transplanted V8's into them, XF's are more difficult as they usually require a couple of small mods to get the V8 to fit in without hitting anything, EA normally only requires upgrading the various suspension/brake components to V8 spec from a later model EB falcon
clevelands arent as easy to get transport authority approval for as they dont meet emissions standards for later model cars, (though you can bypass the emissions requirements by running them on straight LPG) but you can use a 5L windsor from an EB-AU falcon, transplant it into your XF/EA and have little to do in the way of emissions requirements
2: V8's and T5's are in reasonably good supply
3:some states have yearly roadworthy inspections, i believe victoria does, but for engine/driveline swaps, each state differs slightly, but all have compliancing procedures/requirements in place, that depending on the swap, can mean just informing the transport authority of the swap, to having to get an engineers report and jumping through dozens of hoops, although they're usually not too fussed about transmission swaps
4: how much are you looking at spending on a car/s? you'll probably be better off looking for a car that is already a V8 rather than doing a conversion, as IMO the conversion price for a I6->V8 is greater than the price difference of buying a V8 instead of a I6

take a look at the list below, it's a good start
clicky

Banned

Last edited by Interceptor on Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

G'day Marty.

Yes you can put a V8 into an XF or an EA but you'll need to piss around with engineering certificates as well as roadworthy because these models, as pointed out above, only had 6 cylinder engines fitted. The EB and models following it ( 1992 + ) had Windsor 5.0's as options and there are enough of them around to pick one up cheaply enough. These factory fitted 5.0's are just your HO style Windsors with a few minor ancillary changes from the U.S. versions to suit RHD vehicles over here, but all in all, much the same engine.
I guess it depends on how much money you are keen to spend on a car if you do get down here.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

really depends what your budget is like when you get here..

you would be best to have a look at some cars and decide what model/shape you like. personally, try and find a ef/el manual xr8, that will keep you most happy..(thats 1994-1998) and generally set you back around 10-15k AUS...

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Post subject: Re: Canadian, eh?
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

mrl wrote:
there are many over here, we can bring a container with us

If you're not on a tight budget, bring some performance bits over with you.
If you're after a windsor, EB onwards will be what you're looking for.
If you want, you can also bring me a tremec 5spd :wink:

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Agree with all the above. I'd buy here but bring a decent set of heads and intake with you, maybe the T5 although more are popping up these days.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:14 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

Eh guys and gal, thanks for the great info. I had no idea how many sedans there are there already equipped with V8's from the factory! Wish we had that over here! Thanks Interceptor for pointing me in the right direction...
My budget is around $15K including mods to the drivetrain. The exterior will be stock looking except for hi-perf tires...oops, tyres! Are the inspections agencies more strict on drivetrain mods to later cars? Would I be better of with an older Falcon (mid '70's for example).
I will definetely bring parts. Speaking of parts, how much $$$ does a good used T5 go for? It will give me an idea as to how many to bring over :wink:
How easy is it to import vehicles? (there are many Mustangs over here) I read something about a "15 year old car" rule that was changed recently. Does the vehicle absolutely have to be converted to right hand drive?

Marty

p.s. I forgot to mention that I am currently restoring a 1962 Pontiac Stratochief (it's similar to a Bonneville but Canadian made). Yeah, I know it's a GM but it's a nice sleigh...

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:04 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

mate if the car is LHD and it is over 30 years old, u can import it and leave it LHD. if it is youger than 30 years old you will have to convert to RHD. I am pretty sure thats right.. crrect me if wrong.

here is email i have:

All LHD Vehicles over 30 Years of age are suitable to be registered in any State of Australia in LHD..No need to Convert to RHD any more. However some States have a Few, Local Rules you may have to follow before they will register..Usually this may be.. Two Mirrors.. Change the Headlights, and all must Pass Safety checks etc just like a regular car for Rego ( depending on what state you are in).. check with your local RTA or DMV Department in your state as to what if anything they May require.. Over and above the Import Permit for the Vehicle..
The New Laws apply for cars 15 - 30 years of age only.

hope that helps...

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

mrl wrote:
I will definetely bring parts. Speaking of parts, how much $$$ does a good used T5 go for? It will give me an idea as to how many to bring over :wink:

Dont usually see many people struggling to get their hands on manual boxes... what id be bringing with me are heads and intake manifolds. Never any shortage of buyers for gt40 heads and explorer/cobra manifolds!! And injectors... and A9L mustang computers... lol.

AKAIK, all of these items are considerably more expensive down here...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Tremec 3550 would be better and heaps stronger than T5...Yes heads either original or after market injectors can be as much as $160 + each here....
Whole car your better off checking with federal transport or you will not be allowed to take it off wharf and that'll cost you heaps in storage there...
;
http://www.australiatrade.com.au/Shippi ... /index.htm

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: FBT

VIC, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
3:some states have yearly roadworthy inspections, i believe victoria does, but for engine/driveline swaps, each state differs slightly, but all have compliancing procedures/requirements in place, that depending on the swap, can mean just informing the transport authority of the swap, to having to get an engineers report and jumping through dozens of hoops, although they're usually not too fussed about transmission swaps

Victoria only has a roadworty inspection when you are transferring the registration of a car, like when you buy it, there are no yearly checks

"12 yards long, two lanes wide, 65 tonnes of american pride" Fairlane

Post subject: Re: Canadian, eh?
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:40 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: F150 EL mont&2001 cobra

QLD, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
mrl wrote:
there are many over here, we can bring a container with us

If you're not on a tight budget, bring some performance bits over with you.
If you're after a windsor, EB onwards will be what you're looking for.
If you want, you can also bring me a tremec 5spd :wink:

Best idea i have ever heard.

Smoken the hides in top gear

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

VIC, Australia

Just FYI I had a T5 from a 95 model (EF/EL) installed in my '85 (XF) sedan a few years back and the entire transplant with labour cost me $1800 Australian... It can be done substantially cheaper, but as with all things automotive, you generally get what you pay for.

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]