Fordmods Logo

Car wont start today, starter motor fine, just wont go! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Car wont start today, starter motor fine, just wont go!
Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF II Futura 5.0

VIC, Australia

Hi everyone, just tried to go to the shops before, turned the key, starter motor went alright, but engine never fired! seemed like it was trying, but best it could do was to jump up a couple of revs on the tacho then die again. Ive never had problems starting it before. Any ideas - its an EF II futura 5 liter btw. Ony had it about 3 months :(

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

just tried again now, its started this time, so all happy. Any ideas why this may have happened though? there was a heavy smell of petrol after i started it, but its an auto and i hadnt touched the accelerator at first so cant see how it may have flooded - im no genius when it comes to cars if you havent noticed - but im learning.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: EB

VIC, Australia

my sis had this problem in her eb it was fuel leak wasnt getting enough fuel to start and less u tap down on the gas a few times untill she got the leak fixed was just a split hose

Lukey Extractors 2.5" Exhaust 3.23:1 Diff 17" BA XR8 Alloys

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

simple answer, but take it to ford n see if it reported an error code?

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

yeah thanks for that - got to the shops, started fine again when i left thankfully! Might take it to ford tomorrow. I want to get the injectors cleaned out too so might see about doing that at the same time. Its using a bit of fuel - always been about 16 liters/100km (suburbs and freeway) on unleaded since i got it, and i dont drive it that hard.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 2002 XR8 manual

NSW, Australia

Thats pretty thirsty, i do a fair bit of around town driving... and some freeway.. and my Trip computer says 12.4 / 100km. And thats not being light on the pedal :P

AU XR8 manual.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

yeah i rekon it is a bit high. As far as i know its not modded in any way. recently changed the oil, and coolant, always drive in economy mode. im not sure why its so high, but hopefully when i clean the injectors it will be a bit better. from reading other forums a new exhaust system may help economy or at least make it go better without using more fuel so plan on doing that. just gotta wait for this years tax return. :D

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

sounds like you have plenty gas, but no spark-check distributor cap for arc build up, inside the cap-scrap the junk off,clean tip of rotor button-be carefull to replace and reseat the same as before.check or replace the spark plug leads---also replace fuel line filter, afterwards clean injectors. :roll: :roll:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

sounds like you have plenty gas, but no spark-check distributor cap for arc build up, inside the cap-scrap the junk off,clean tip of rotor button-be carefull to replace and reseat the same as before.check or replace the spark plug leads---also replace fuel line filter, afterwards clean injectors. :roll: :roll:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

wont start at all today. have cleaned distributor connections. got a mate over, we have checked the leads for sparks, tried two of them and no spark. have checked the resistance in the coil and got abuot 1.2 ohms which according to the manual i have should be between .41 and .43, the book doesnt say wether this means that its stuffed. might use one of my racv call outs to have a look at it

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

For all the bits that could be wrong unless you want to test the TFI etc, call out the RACV let them do hard work and get some of the $$'s you pay back.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

on hold to racv now. guy on phone thinks could be ignition module - says common problem with the fords. gonna get guy over to look at it now, or in 4 hous - damn racv, been on hold about 5-10 min, hate to think how long it will take them to get here!

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I suspect TFI or Coil, but the guy should hit the nail on the head pretty quick, for free why not.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

first racv man came, said couldnt do anything coz car was parlty dismantled, part of their policy, and that this was counted as one of my call outs for the year. I made a complaint coz wasnt told this by the first guy i talked to on the phone when he was trying to tell me what was wrong and who then put me through to roadside assist (after i told him i had the car partly pulled apart, so hopefully will get my call out back. put the car back together and called them again, guy came and said that it was firing ok, checked the fuel pump and told me that the engine was flooding and i need new spark plugs. and once i get them to take it for a diganostic test to find out why its flooding. so thats tomorrows mission. good thing im on uni holidays and dont need the car. any ideas why THIS may be happening?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]