Fordmods Logo

carbi for 400c in xd 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: carbi for 400c in xd
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XD falcon 400 cleveland

SA, Australia

hoping someone can help me. i'v currently got a real s**t 600 holley on my 400, but i can get a holley 4779-2 pretty cheap, so i was wondering if someone could tell me if this is a better choice, and i was wondering what their like in reguards to tunability, and reliability. cheers.

XD falcon with 400 cleveland (no its not stroked, yes its a real engine, google it!)
NEARLY FINISHED!!!!

FORSALE: 2001 yamaha R1 WANTED: holley 750 dp

Post subject: Re: carbi for 400c in xd
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:54 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

What have you done to the 400?

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XD falcon 400 cleveland

SA, Australia

well, thats the problem. i bought the motor in the car as an unfinished project. the previous owner told me everything that was done to it, but that was ages ago. i remember he told me that its a copy of another motor that made about 220kw, but as for specifics im not sure. its obviously got a decent size cam (is pretty lumpy), when we changed the rocker covers, we found it has roller rockers, and when we changed the manifold we saw it had crow pushrods, so i would imagine its had some resonable work done. sorry i cant be more help

XD falcon with 400 cleveland (no its not stroked, yes its a real engine, google it!)
NEARLY FINISHED!!!!

FORSALE: 2001 yamaha R1 WANTED: holley 750 dp

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

I'd look at the Holley Street Avenger carbs, a 770cfm would be about right. Look on the Holley website for more info. Or contact APD/Holley/Crane in adelaide and talk to the guys there, they will help you out. Bit tough without knowing the cam/compression/headwork/exhaust/Trans/Convertor, etc.....

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

g'day mate. i have one of these in a 72 galaxie LTD (or should i say out of it )getting rebuilt. these are definitely one for trainspotters and you will get a kick out of lookig these up. if you get on any of the sites that deal with these engines to rebuild a lot will have a calculation that factors in volumetric efficiency RPM, etc. as long as you are in the 5-5500 rpm range it doesnt go over 630cfm, so you probably dont need bigger than a 650. if low down and budgets are a factor it is quite possible to stick with the old two barrel manifold they came out standard with and get a 550 cfm holley and not be too disappointed. if a higher top end performace is the thing then the 770 suggested earlier would be quite good and apparrently LPG likes it better too. it will be tough sorting it out without knowing whats been done to it. post how you go as i hope to have my engine sorted in the next couple of weeks and am leaning to a 650cfm. also try googleing it and you will be surprised what you find. most yanks think they are boat anchors as they came out with poor cams, timing etc and they wouldn't touch them with gorse. they are still a cleveland though and anything you can do to them will work. just remember they are the longest stroke ford ever made factory and the biggest small block as well, so it's something a bit different. try cletus racing website for some info if you like. they have done a couple of them and been very helpful to me when i asked them (hopefully not too dumb) questions.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yep if its a 400m they are torque monsters.. I hope they raised the piston to deck height...
From the factory they where way down the bore which caused detonation issues....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]