changing heads any pitfalls to look out for 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: changing heads any pitfalls to look out for
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

well after winning some GT40Ps on ebay, I now need to ask is there anything special I need to look out for when fitting them to my EFV8 replacing the stock E7s, mainly asking about head studs and gaskets, do I need to get anything special or can I just order a set of new head studs (my old man thinks I should get new ones cos they stretch) and gaskets for my model (EF) or do I need to specify the model (AU) the heads came from?

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Yes get new head bolts, the stock ones are TTY and should only be used once. Get youself a set of decent ARP head bolts, they are far stronger and should help with sealing. You will also need thread sealer (I used ARP thread sealer to give accurate torque specs) for the exahust side bolts as they go into the water jacket. The intake manifold bolts canm sometimes corrode quite a bit so it may pay to replace them with some ARP's, also be careful removing them as I have seen a few of them break off due to corrosion.

As for head gaskets, you can get the felpro 8548pt2 head gaskets from any performance shop, they should cost about $30ea which is probably far cheaper than the ford ones, and they are very good gaskets. You will also need a set of intake manifold gaskets, again felpro make a very nice set (Part number 1250) for around $50, and possibly a set of rocker cover gaskets too (stock ones are rubber/steel so can be reused if in half decent condition). You will also need a set of spark plug leads with 90 degree bends.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

On a side note, i remember you posting wanting to fit a shaker to your EF, well AWC now make a shaker kit for the 5.0's. It uses the 200kw Tickford engine cover and the intake is similar to what the BA Shaker set up is. The Guy from AWC has one on his 5.0 AUII Ute and it looks pretty cool, was thinking of doing something similar for mine when the 427 goes in
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
On a side note, i remember you posting wanting to fit a shaker to your EF, well AWC now make a shaker kit for the 5.0's. It uses the 200kw Tickford engine cover and the intake is similar to what the BA Shaker set up is. The Guy from AWC has one on his 5.0 AUII Ute and it looks pretty cool, was thinking of doing something similar for mine when the 427 goes in
Brett

AWC ??. any pics, I already have my shaker, well the part that sticks out of the of the bonnet, I plan on making my own airbox and piping, I'm not one to rush things though, if I do I stuff it up, so it small steps.

Will probably just do my cobra manifold first during xmas leave, then I'll get around to the heads and finally the shaker, but I like to get a list of bits so when I start I don't need to get anything else.

thanks for the tips

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

just realised my question wasn't really answered, do I get head studs for a an EF or do I need to get them for an AU, or are they the same

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

EB-AU all use the same bolts, which are the same all the way back to the old 302 and 289 Windsors.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
EB-AU all use the same bolts, which are the same all the way back to the old 302 and 289 Windsors.

apparently not true, just went down to my local store and he tells me, after talking to his supplier, some have studs, ie thread both ends and a nut to secure and and some have bolts, so I have to wait until I get the covers off to see.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

It is true they all run bolts from the factory, believe me or the parts guy I don't really care. You can get studs if you want, they tend to seal better on very high powered or forced induction engines but they can also make removing and installing the heads a pain unless you remove the engine from the engine bay.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I was wondering if anyone from the forums got those heads, I guess I will get a set one day......

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

that's cool, I grab the bolts then, that way I'll have all the gear.

Yep I finally scored a set, I dunno if the other bidder against me was from here, but I was prepared to go to $800, but he stopped early, although if my missus keeps on me about spending the cash, I could be ditching the whole lot (manifold, tb, Maf, spacer and heads) and turning it back to stock.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
that's cool, I grab the bolts then, that way I'll have all the gear.

Yep I finally scored a set, I dunno if the other bidder against me was from here, but I was prepared to go to $800, but he stopped early, although if my missus keeps on me about spending the cash, I could be ditching the whole lot (manifold, tb, Maf, spacer and heads) and turning it back to stock.

ok, if you do sell em im 1st in line ok? :P , lol

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

anyone know an online vendor in Australia where I can get some head bolt and hydraulic lifters and 90 degree leads, I've managed to get a resonably price set of felpro head gaskets and other bits and peices online, but I'm coming up short with these bits.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

www.vpw.com.au do most parts, ship anywhere and generally are very well priced.

BTW, you generally don't require new lifters, the 5L's use roller lifters which don't really wear. If you dismantle them and clean them out they will be good to go for another 200,000+kms. The 90 degree leads, you may have to get a universal set and put the ends on yourself, thats what I did as I couldn't find 90 degree windsor specific ones on the shelf.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've tried VPW, might have to call them, I thought the lifters where normal hydraulics, that's what my manual says anyway and the mechanic down the road, he quote me $9ea for them, my local "auto" store wanted $20ea, I've got the tell tale tick of a dodgy hydraulic, and the cars done 150k so while I'm in there I'm gonna change them.

And looks like I order the wrong gasket kit, didn't see the PT16 as opposed to the PT2 on the end of the part number, so I've got a carby head kit coming, don't suppose I can use the head gaskets out of it?, or the missus is gonna shoot me cos I need to fork out for the right kit.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Nope they are hydraulic roller lifters so as I said, just reuse them (goo idea to dimantle and clean them out if you have a spare hour).

As for the gaskets, don't worry. The PT2's are just the head gasket themselves, the PT16 kit comes with the correct 8548PT2 head gaskets, inlet manifold and rocker cover gaskets should be the same too. Not sure if any of the other gaskets will be of any use though (however felpro often do include EFI and carby gaskets in their kits for things like timing cover etc).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next