Fordmods Logo

Changing old 6's to V8's... 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Changing old 6's to V8's...
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Hey guys,

I realise this has probably been covered before so feel free to point me in the direction of an older thread... but right now I don't have the energy to search...... :roll:

I've been looking at picking myself up an old pre-'79 Falcon or Fairlane as a fun little cruiser and project now that I'm happy with my EF.

The 6 cylinder models are obviously a lot cheaper and easier to find than the V8's so I was wondering how hard it is to convert the old i6's into V8's. I've heard it's quite straight forward but was hoping someone could give me details. I'm no stranger to engine changeovers but have only ever dealt with EF's!

I love the 302C's so that would be my weapon of choice. They seem to be cheap enough to pick up second hand in running order.

A fitting company I know will do a 302 changeover for $450 if I supply the motor. Is this a good price?

So my main questions are...

1. What's involved hooking up wise? Is there much wiring, piping, etc, that I will need to add/modify?

2. What else apart from a long motor will I need parts wise? Different gearbox, radiator, diff?

3. Are engine parts in the XD, XE's basically interchangeable with XA-XC's?

4. Is $450 a good price for an install?

Any help would be very muchly appreciated guys!

Thanks,

Sam.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Hey mate. I have done a few of these myself.

1 - As long as you stick with carbi, there is nothing more on an 8 than a 6, As long as the 8 has a pretty normal ignition system. Heater tube may need the hoses changed.

2 - Depending on your power output, the diff in an early ford will be ok. You should get an appropriate g'box for the 302, either auto or manual. Definatly put in a V8 capable radiator.

3 - What engine parts do you mean? because a whole xd/xe v8 and auto will go into a 70's ford no worries.

4 - $450 sounds reasonable for such work, however i've always done these things myself.

Hope this helps.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

Hi on all pre 80's fords the only things you will have to change from a 6 to a v8 is the engine mounts, a better radiator ( i would put a ef one in with thermos) and lengthen the water temperature wire and the ignition wires!!
You should grab a couple of mates and do it yourself over a weekend!! :)

best of luck with your next project!! :)

LETS GET THE FALCON HELL OUTA HERE!!!

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

ashcook wrote:
xbgt2dr wrote:
Hi on all pre 80's fords the only things you will have to change from a 6 to a v8 is the engine mounts, a better radiator ( i would put a ef one in with thermos) and lengthen the water temperature wire and the ignition wires!!

I have an EF/EL radiator and thermo fans on my 351 clevo and it is s**t. Water capacity is way too low. Going to speak to the radiator guys this week to see what my options are. I have an EL front on my car so I am limited to this size.

it would be too small for a 351 but would be ok for a standard 302!!!:)

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

xbgt2dr wrote:

Hey would that be still true for a 62?

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
xbgt2dr wrote:

Hey would that be still true for a 62?

hi yes it should be the same they are wired up very similar!!

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Don't get me wrong guys... I was definitely planning to do the swap myself... I've only ever payed someone else to do my paintwork. I do everything else myself. Love learning as I go. Only way to do it as far as I'm concerned!

It's just good to know that someone else will do it for me for $450 if I run out of time.

Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful and puts me more at ease about doing it!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Should be a piece of piss to do as described. I've just removed a whole front end of an 85 F truck fitted with a 351c and 5 speed, and even though its on gas its still simple as s**t, theres only a hand full of wires and hoses that actually run to the motor.

Also I would go a 351 over a 302. Sooo much chunkier.

And as for the radiator and thermos, I dont see why an EL rad wouldnt be enough for a near stocker, as the Radiator in the F truck is smaller than my EF rad, and when I emptied it there wsa all of about 5L of fluid, including the bottle.
It also had a direct drive fan, not a clutch fan, but it was tiny. This thing towed a 5 tonne float a few times and never really got warm, so I dont see why 2 thermos on full bore would s**t all over the poxy fan. I will be installing twin thermos when I put it all back together, along with a fatter radiator of some sort.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Should be a piece of piss to do as described. I've just removed a whole front end of an 85 F truck fitted with a 351c and 5 speed, and even though its on gas its still simple as s**t, theres only a hand full of wires and hoses that actually run to the motor.

Also I would go a 351 over a 302. Sooo much chunkier.

And as for the radiator and thermos, I dont see why an EL rad wouldnt be enough for a near stocker, as the Radiator in the F truck is smaller than my EF rad, and when I emptied it there wsa all of about 5L of fluid, including the bottle.
It also had a direct drive fan, not a clutch fan, but it was tiny. This thing towed a 5 tonne float a few times and never really got warm, so I dont see why 2 thermos on full bore would s**t all over the poxy fan. I will be installing twin thermos when I put it all back together, along with a fatter radiator of some sort.

302 for me mate. I just like them more. Dad's favourite car was his 302 XB GT... He liked it more than his 351 XA GT.

And, from memory, the EF radiator is "big" enough for a V8 but it isn't really quite thick enough... From memory that is...

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

just remember the brake and suspension upgrade and engineer you'll need to sign off on it will probs cost more than the engine conversion lol...

I remember when my friend changed over a s**t old kingswood....haha the conversion ended up costing more than twice the car

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

skidder wrote:
just remember the brake and suspension upgrade and engineer you'll need to sign off on it will probs cost more than the engine conversion lol...

Wrong mate. Same brakes and suspension for the 6 and 8. And no engineering required. I just need to apply for a change of engine number... Which doesn't even cost!

So the legal side of it is a piece of piss!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

lucky...i dunno if holden's had different brakes? or maybe it was cause his was an injected engine in a pre adr car?

hehe, he didn't check before doing though...had the most shocked expression on his face when he found out it couldnt get rego'd straight up..

commodore drivers...idiots :roll:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

lol... very true... Nah, that was the first thing I checked!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next