Fordmods Logo

Changing to an Explorer manifold 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Changing to an Explorer manifold
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi guys,

i have a NC 5.0 soon to have a twin exhaust. The car also has a k&n panel filter.

I am thinking of putting an explorer manifold and 65mm throttle body on. what will the benifits of doing this conversion be with the above mods? will i get a change in performance or economy?

i know the heads are also a restriction and they will be done in the longer term but i am looking for a couple of small mods in the meantime.

cheers all

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Do you have extractors? Do that first. Intake and throttle body will just make it feel like it revs faster. How about some underdrive pulleys? If you're doing intake, may as well do roller rockers if you like.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Basically without a tune you could expect to have a 185kw engine like in the EL XR8 update.

The manifold would be a good base to start with for the future mods. You won't get the full benefit from the manifold until the heads and cam etc are done but its a good place to start.

Check the link in my sig to my engine build.

I've ended up with 260rwhp from heads and cam and rocker gear, injectors, MAF and TB with a custom tune done by Terry at BPT.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NF Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Think of a motor as a gigantic air pump - the faster you can get the air in and out of it the more power you will make

Saying this you ask what difference it will make doing these mods, if you have restrictive exhaust then this mod won't help terribly much as you are providing a provision to get more air into the motor but no way of getting this extra air out, so saying this the first performance mod anybody should look at undertaking is putting on a free flowing exhaust to accomodate all future mods

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

the exhaust will be a set of pacemaker shorties with a free flwoing twi exhaust. givin it has that and a k&n panel. what would i expect?

thanks

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Pacemeker don't make shorty pipes for the 5.0.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ah ok well just going off what i have been told there. its a set that someone is giving to me soon, maybe they have a different definition of shorties. not sure whats going on tehre but they knowo their stuff.

on another not whats involved in doing the explorer manifold with au 65mm throttle body conversion to the NC?

any tips and tricks?

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

you will need to source 2 more long bolts as the h.o. has 4 short and 2 long whereas the explorer has 4 long and 2 short.

there is also no egr on an explorer.

you may also need to join a couple of vacuum lines coming off the back of it. just get a couple of t pieces or something.

you will also have to modify the tps' on the t/b as you need to use your nc ones. this means you need to elongate the holes a touch, source some longer screws to suit and possibly file down the blade on the 65mm t/b to fit the nc tps on.

otherwise it bolts straight up.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

has anyone got a tutorial or step by step guide to the conversion including using the EGR spacer on the explorer.

i was reading that the IAT sensor can be relocated on the intake pipe near the throttle body for similar results as the exporer dosnt have the fitting

thanks guys

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]