Fordmods Logo

Chasing this flat spot / starting issue in my xr8... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Chasing this flat spot / starting issue in my xr8...
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi guys,

I have an auto EL XR8 II. I have been cleaning it up since I bought it recently with:

- new plugs/leads/rotor button/dizzy cap
- cleaned MAF and TB out
- set TPS to 0.97
- new air filter and fuel filter (and oil not that that will help this)
- checked timing at 30 degrees
etc

The car has an unusual fault. Before I got the leads and set the TPS it would sometimes start really quickly, ie only crank once or twice then fire and other times (I think only from a cold start) it would have to crank over for 5 seconds or so then it would fire up and wasnt very happy about it.

It would also have a flat spot / hesitation from idle sometimes.

I then changed the leads and set the TPS as well as resetting the ECU and it went away!

Since then the fault has returned so I am now unsure where to go next. I do also think the car is running rich? Just by the exhaust smell and the occassional black exhaust puff under power.

So Im starting to think maybe MAF or coolant temp sensor? But I want the opinion of people with this experience before I start shelling out any cash.

Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Chasing this flat spot / starting issue in my xr8...
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:11 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: FBT002

WA, Australia

how long ago were your O2 sensors changed? They will only last a max of 100K and as they die the engine will run rich.
Also check for any small vacuum leaks.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Yeah I will change them, cheap on ebay these days. Would they affect the idle to power setting though? I thought these were all done by ecu maps and the o2 sensors were only for cruising?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

QLD, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have an auto EL XR8 II. I have been cleaning it up since I bought it recently with:

- new plugs/leads/rotor button/dizzy cap
- cleaned MAF and TB out
- set TPS to 0.97
- new air filter and fuel filter (and oil not that that will help this)
- checked timing at 30 degrees
etc

The car has an unusual fault. Before I got the leads and set the TPS it would sometimes start really quickly, ie only crank once or twice then fire and other times (I think only from a cold start) it would have to crank over for 5 seconds or so then it would fire up and wasnt very happy about it.

It would also have a flat spot / hesitation from idle sometimes.

I then changed the leads and set the TPS as well as resetting the ECU and it went away!

Since then the fault has returned so I am now unsure where to go next. I do also think the car is running rich? Just by the exhaust smell and the occassional black exhaust puff under power.

So Im starting to think maybe MAF or coolant temp sensor? But I want the opinion of people with this experience before I start shelling out any cash.

Thanks guys

Mate - My NL Fairlane has a very similar issue. I've done exactly what you have done too as listed.
Even replaced the O2 Sensors. It's helped but still a slight flat spot and stutter on acceleration. It's doesn't annoy me that much, because I know how to drive her, but still it's not right. I've even replaced the MAF as when the engine was on LPG it backfired many times and blew the guts out of it. :roll:

I had an on-car injection service done a while back which also helped, but I'm thinking taking all the injectors out maybe the only fix!

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

very interesting, please keep me posted on your progress and I will to you if I have any luck

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:54 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Cool. I haven't worked on the Fairlane for a while. Late last year I drove to Sydney > Melbourne return and apart from blowing out the cob webs, I was able to achieve quite good fuel economy from 18.5l to 11.3l per 100km... The engine is running and idling smoother, slight more power :roll: but still that noticeable stutter and flat on acceleration...

I have the reply notification set on this thread, so I'm all ears mate :)

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

I had a look for vaccume leaks and nothing obvious but I may need to pull the top manifold off and check under there as I know they can fail under there due heat.

The car occassionally does not start well when cold (only when cold) it may fire up then stall then fire up again with no problems or not start at all then on the second attempt start fine. Im sure this is related. Any thoughts.

(note the car has new leads, plugs, coil, dizzy cap, rotor button etc so its not the ignition and it did this before I changed all them over)

Thanks

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Check your relays and connections .. Check the relay base also..
The wire's / connectors often come adrift ...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Check your relays and connections .. Check the relay base also..
The wire's / connectors often come adrift ...

I don't mean to be naive but check which relays/connections and relay base? 8-)

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
very interesting, please keep me posted on your progress and I will to you if I have any luck

Any luck? What's the latest?

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

Check the EGR spacer and gaskets. I found my issues with the EB XR8 was leaking coolant into the intake airstream and gummed up the whole manifold with gunk. Replaced the gaskets and put a can of Subaru upper cylinder foam through the intake. Works a treat now and intake is now clean and shiny.

Dont park anything behind your car if you use ths cleaner - it will be covered in soot!!

Hooroo

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Check the EGR spacer and gaskets. I found my issues with the EB XR8 was leaking coolant into the intake airstream and gummed up the whole manifold with gunk. Replaced the gaskets and put a can of Subaru upper cylinder foam through the intake. Works a treat now and intake is now clean and shiny.

Dont park anything behind your car if you use ths cleaner - it will be covered in soot!!

Hooroo

The EGR hey? I shall check it out... This cylinder foam only can be bought from Subaru?

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

The yanks call it seafoam but I use the subaru stuff as I know it works(owned an L series 4WD with a 2.5 WRX drivetrain transplant - including low range!!)and I use it every 12 months. Just keeps the carbon/gunk buildup at bay. DO NOT!!! put it through the MAFF/MAP or it will destroy the wires(this stuff is pretty heavy handed)and follow the instructions to a T. It costs about $17 a tin but it works a treat. Even use it on the mini(just takes longer as the inlet distance is bugger all - the poor brick looks like it has rabies when I try to get half a tin in the inlet!!).

The EGR leak really stumped me - I spent thousands chasing every possible(and most expensive)path to fix my hunting idle but it was a $20 gasket that ultimately fixed it - go figure that one!!

Hooroo

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Well I've had a closer look at the EGR valve. So, one electronic connector and one vacuum hose.
Whilst the engine is running, should it stumble or noticeably change revs when I disconnect either of these? Because it didn't make a difference at all...

I think I also found the PCV valve... Right at the back of the engine? One end of the hose is connected underneath the inlet manifold and the other is the PCV valve? Which just sits in a groove, it's almost has like a grommet or stopper on the end...?

:?

Attachments:
V8 PCV Valve.jpg
V8 PCV Valve.jpg [ 62.94 KiB | Viewed 286 times ]

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

another thing is fuel filter,also pull the tank cover off and have a look at the in tank filter/pump,i did and found a hole in the intank filter on the bottom of the pump,also check your fuel pressure on the shrader connector, i did and found the pressure regulator spat the dummy and was giving 20 psi instead of the required 40 psi at idle,you can turn it down a bit if you put a adjustable unit in there,86-93 mustang unit is the go from jegs-summit etc etc,lots more tricks :twisted: but i wont blind you with science <<< joke. :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]