Fordmods Logo

cleveland LPG manifold 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: cleveland LPG manifold
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

whats the best manifold to put on an lpg 400c? ie dual plane/single plane. i've fitted a more appropiate cam and will eventually put a larger carby on (if i dont go straight gas) is it worth getting the spacers and get a better range of cleveland gear, or as i'm not getting too carried away with horse power are the edelbrock items (there are a few of them around) weiand etc any good?

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

I kept the std dual plane on mine and had it match ported to the heads as best they could. Put closed chamber 2V heads with hardened seats and hardened 4V valves with some clean up work in the bowls. Ran a cam 850 carb extractors and twin system and there wasn't much that could even get close. I did regraph my dizzy though to run on gas (mostly ran it on LPG) 17deg adv @ idle adv to a max of 32 deg.
Hope this helps, I had the 2V to maintain velocity and torque at lower revs and suck the gas through.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Do you have a 400M? or a stroked Cleveland?

High rise 2V single or dual plain, it is gas and you will not have the problem with fuel pooling like with petrol at low velocity, so you can get away with single plain (especially with 400 cubes), high rise to reduce heat soak as LPG's biggest enemy is heat. Block off the manifold heating ports in the head, you definitely don't need them heating up the intake.

Your biggest problem is if it is a 400M you will be limited in manifold choices without using Cleveland to 400M intake spacers.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

paulhowes wrote:
I kept the std dual plane on mine and had it match ported to the heads as best they could. Put closed chamber 2V heads with hardened seats and hardened 4V valves with some clean up work in the bowls. Ran a cam 850 carb extractors and twin system and there wasn't much that could even get close. I did regraph my dizzy though to run on gas (mostly ran it on LPG) 17deg adv @ idle adv to a max of 32 deg.
Hope this helps, I had the 2V to maintain velocity and torque at lower revs and suck the gas through.

im pretty much in agreement with paulhowes and use the edelbrock dual plane performer manilfold ,failing that a holley street and strip should also work!! :D

LETS GET THE FALCON HELL OUTA HERE!!!

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

it is a 400m. it has 302 heads ported to the gaskets,with 4v valves and boss 302 springs. got a problem with a "lifter"rattle (another story) since putting the heads on but its not on the road yet. if the manifold comes off, i might have a go at porting it myself. how did you alter the manifold to take the carby, i am assuming it was a 4 barrel,or did you use a big 2 barrel? i ave seen a page a while back that did some milling to take a good 4 barrel, but cant quite remember the details. i have seen the edelbrock items pop up and thought it might be the go. because the lpg tank is in the boot and takes up a s##tload of room and the fact it will probably run on gas due to the cost of petrol, I might just remove the fuel tank, fit the lpg tank in there and go straight gas (it wont be for a while though-i've got to get the bloody thing on the road yet!) when i removed the old manifold for the new heads, it had been off before, and refitted with a lot of silicon, and i damaged the tin valley cover. would this also help with heat onto the bottom of the manifold? and if so where would you get one locally? if i have more problems with the lifter noise i might have to start up a new topic!

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: f150

NSW, Australia

single plane manifolds are the preferred type for gas it just depends on what you want out of the car at the time.If you are going dedicated gas go for the single and yes keeping the tin plate under it is better to keep the intake cool.As for bits go see pit crew in wickham 49692677 those guys are always good to help

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

with the price of petrol it will be running on gas the majority of the time so the single plane sounds good, unless i get my sh@t together and track down an old original cast item and work out how to modify it to suit.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:22 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Strictly speaking It's not a 400M, it's a 400 Cleveland. The M engine is the 351M which is a destroked 400C. They called it M for modified because after they had shipped the smallblock cleveland tooling to Australia they realised a need for a 351 ci displacement engine so they just destroked the 400C.
John(CHI) does a single plane 400C intake but it's really suited to the 3V heads....otherwise there isn't much choice for the 400C/351M engine.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

no wuckers. it's just easier to say 400m than 351m 400. so by the sound of it there aren't really any single plane items around that are going for the price of the 2nd hand dual plane edelbrocks? can these be easily butchered (read modified) into a single plane (is it even worth it)? and what about the cast iron manifolds, i have seen somewhere someone attacking one of them, but they are a dual plane too aren't they?

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:52 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

400C is just as easy.
Actually TFC also do a single plane for 400's and I think torque power were going to or are doing a high rise dual plane.
Machining the centre out of a dual plane will not make it into a single plane...you'll still have an indirect path to the head face.
Probably the lowest cost option is to use Weiand spacer plates and a Weiand X-cellerator for 351C.
Edelbrock used to make the Torquer(low profile single plane) for 400 but I don't know if they do anymore?

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

good call. i 've seen a couple of edelbrock streetmasters on ebay in the us, these are a old single plane manifold (for the 400c), and with the us $ being so good one of these may be alright? i believe these are are the predecessor to the torquer? where they any good or is that why they made the torquer?

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:10 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Sorry the streetmaster is the single plane I was actually referring to.
They aren't a particularly good single plane so I think the Weiand setup may be better.... if you can put up with spacers of course?
The TFC is likely the best choice but bonnet clearance may be an issue too?

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Strictly speaking It's not a 400M, it's a 400 Cleveland. The M engine is the 351M which is a destroked 400C. They called it M for modified because after they had shipped the smallblock cleveland tooling to Australia they realised a need for a 351 ci displacement engine so they just destroked the 400C.

Yeah I'm wrong but it is easier to call it an 400M than the confussion these days of people stroking a Cleveland to 400 cubes or close to, plus the confusion of people calling this block a M block, which is better in a lot of ways because of the major differences; other than deck height between a standard 335 series block and the 335 400 cube block.

One of a few handy sites relating to the 351M and 400 Cleveland.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

any one locally doing spacer plates, or as one website advertises them as 7/8' thick, would it be easier to get one of my workshop friends to laser cut a pair out to match a gasket? i believe the bolt holes are slotted slightly to allow for a bit of variation

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:10 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

No wuckers macca....Let em get confused I say besides the small blocks are either 393 or 408.
CHI would probably be able to do the spacers for you cr but then he'll probably say..."why don't you buy the intake I make for it?"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next