Fordmods Logo

Cleveland Setup 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Cleveland Setup
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU S2 XR8

WA, Australia

hey guys just looking for some pointers as im about to make some progress with my 351, i finally decided to stroke it, 393 seems like the best idea at the moment! thing is i've gone and brought a few bits before coming up with the stroker idea!
wondering if the weiand X–celerator will still flow enough as im gonna get some CHI 3V heads for it.
and if anyone else has previous experience or same combo any suggestions would be awesome!

mmmmmmmmmmm 220 manual goodness!

Post subject: Re: Cleveland Setup
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 35 images

Ride: xy fairmont

WA, Australia

Mate ive a gota build going at the moment and my combo is a 383 clevo stroker with CHI 3V 218cc heads that have been ported running a Parker funnel web manifold and a 850 mighty demon carb up on top, its got a crane solid roller cam its power range is 3200 rpm -7200 rpm so ive got a C4 with a 3500 high stall bla bla bla..from all the reserch i have done nothing will perform like the funnel webb in mid to high range the only problem with running a funnel web is that it doesnt sit on the block when it is mounted to the engine the heads stop it from sitting flush on the blockthe gap is a bout 10mm, so i had some alloy spacer lazer cut and dowled in position to solve the problem.......CHI do make intake manifolds that are very similar to funnel webs that sit how it should... dont no about the weiland if it will flow enough?
What type of cam Hydrolic ? solid ?
What type of engine are you after??? a good tuff daily driver ?? an all out angry sun of a b**ch sunday driver or a race engine??? coz the funnel web and CHI manifolds are more suited to mid to high rev range even a victor junior .. is bonnet clearance an issue what type of car is it going in???

If you have it under control then you dont have enough power..
There is no replacement for Displacment..

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

3x-puursui7 wrote:
hey guys just looking for some pointers as im about to make some progress with my 351, i finally decided to stroke it, 393 seems like the best idea at the moment! thing is i've gone and brought a few bits before coming up with the stroker idea!
wondering if the weiand X–celerator will still flow enough as im gonna get some CHI 3V heads for it.
and if anyone else has previous experience or same combo any suggestions would be awesome!

393 should give heaps enough cubes, still, i decided i wanted the "free" 15 cubes and went 408 cubic inch. If you want to run a 2V manifold, why not run 2V heads? Chi make them and also AFD. I went the AFD 2V as it was a few years ago before the chi 2V's were released. Any 2V manifold will bolt right up, but with the extra cubes, you may want to use a TFC or Funnelweb manifold if you have the bonnet clearance. I run mine with a shaker in an XD sedan.

XD Sedan Streeter
10.7 @ 125 mp/h
AFD 2V heads
TFC manifold

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

More cubes the better LOL

Looks like everyone is going over 400cubes these days and if i had the capacity to di it i would as u will always want more hp once u get used 2 ur engines hp.

So go bigger cubes with big heads to suit and get a nice hydrolic roller which will make the hp u want and away u go. Then once u want some more hp then u just step up the cam and tune it and away u go again.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Just did a quick search, CHI 3V Clevo manifold, $699, AUD......seems like a bargain. if clearance is a prob, then why not have a manifold fabricated. For me, the ultimate would be a quad weber set-up, that'll flow for sure. Surely it would be cheaper to have a manifold fabricated and machined.

Cheers

Daz

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

great info guys, this is the sorta help im looking for. Im to slack to do the calculations but i just got some brand new hypatec pistons for 100 bucks although their .030's. I looked at the CHI website and its cheaper to buy 3V's than 2V's?! I've also got a good mate who reckons he can get me them cheaper....
not really fussed about bonnet clearance but i wasn't planning on cutting holes, it is only a base model nothing special.
the next big question is... hydraulic or solid? i've given in to it being a weekender that i can stir up the streets with, originally was planning it to just be very mild 351 but i threw that out the door when i looked at prices, and i dont wanna have to do it twice!

oh yeh its going in an XC. I've got the C4 sitting there and will be getting it rebuilt, but I'll wait till i sort the engine before i do anything with it.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

also when i put the CHI 3V's on and lowered the engine into the bay mind you these are 218cc
there was vertually no clearance between the heads and the shock tower no room at all to put extractors on not even block huggers and this is in an XY Fairmont so we made little alloy stands that sat on the engine mounts to lift the hole engine up about 15mm then even still my pace maker extractors wouldnt clear the stearing box and had to be modified and coz they were still very close i had to have them ceramic coated to solve the problem, the reason it wouldnt all fit in is that the CHI 3V's 218cc's are a fair bit wider than the normal clevo heads .. check out my pic's ive put in the Gallery and you will see the clearance iam talking about in one of the photo's. also lifting up the hole engine with funnelweb intake, carbi, NOS plate and air cleaner means even some of the carbi sticks out the bonnet :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D what size 3V's are you getting ????

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: au2 xr8

WA, Australia

my old man has a xy gt with a 393 clevo, chi 2v heads 190cc, edelbrock air gap manifold because of bonnet clearance issues, 11:3 comp, holley 750 dp, pacemakers, and a custom hydrolic cam which peaks at 6300 , 5 speed tko, and he made 420 rwhp and it still has more tuning in it. and it has a crappy 2 1/2 inch non mandrel exhaust.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

hrmm well that could be a bit of an issue as i was hoping to bolt it all together and just drop it in without major dramas. I've been looking on the CHI website and i can only see the 208cc's then 225's? I've pretty much decided on a hydraulic roller cam for her, who would you guys recommend?

cheers

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

a mate of mine built my engine so i cant rcomend any one but i will say go to some one reputable dont try and cut corners with money getting some one dirt cheap to do the build , pay the money and get it done the correct way the first time it will save you money in the long run... maybe ring A1 performance in myree ive heard nothing but good things about that shop and they helped me with technical info ..would be worth giving them a ring..bye perth street car mag the new one has just come out its got some good engine builders in there...

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

the build side of things shouldnt be to much of a drama, i'll be doing that and getting pointers from a mate who builds race engines for a living. i was more interested in the combo's and recommendations people had.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]