Fordmods Logo

clevo's . . . how much do you know about em 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

GTBob wrote:
It all depends on how you set any carby up if you have the time and patience you can set up a thermoquad very well and get good economy BUT parts can be a problem at times which is why most people go for holley. :roll: :D :D

Only if you don't touch the secondarys while driving around. Those secondaries are huge. Much bigger than most holleys.

XB Fairmont sedan 11.07@123.02mph

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

GTBob wrote:
brenx wrote:
thermoquads overfuel the engines. The feel like they are giving a big kick but thats only because the primaries are tiny and the secondarys are massive almost 3-4 times the size of the primaries. Generally a car fitted with a thermoquad spews fuel out the back @ WOT (wide on throttle).

Squarebore carbs are the best on clevo's. I've spent many hours on the dyno with various carbs. Also dispelled the myth that double pumpers use more fuel than a vac sec.

It all depends on how you set any carby up if you have the time and patience you can set up a thermoquad very well and get good economy BUT parts can be a problem at times which is why most people go for holley. :roll: :D :D

bingo

a thermoquad will s**t all over a holley once its been tuned properly, but finding someone who knows thier s**t with a thermoquad is like winning the lotto......

IMO holleys are pretty much just a poorly regulated fuel leak

Banned

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
bingo

a thermoquad will s**t all over a holley once its been tuned properly, but finding someone who knows thier s**t with a thermoquad is like winning the lotto......

IMO holleys are pretty much just a poorly regulated fuel leak

I not so sure thats true. This was my old setup :

830anular
5200rpm convertor
4.11 gears

Still managed close to 400k's per tank easy enough. Not bad for a car that ran 11.8@116mph. Your right saying it's all in the tune.

Too many people try and run a spreadbore carb on a clevo. They don't work real well at all. You make more power and get better economy from the squarebore. My mate didn't believe me till he tried it for himself. He picked up 100k's per tank going from 750dp spreadbore -> 750dp squarebore. Both we well in tune.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yea, but whats the chances you're gonna be using a car that runs 11.8's as a daily driver? the 830m VERY high stally and 4.11 gears spell doom for practicality and consistent fuel economy

Banned

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
yea, but whats the chances you're gonna be using a car that runs 11.8's as a daily driver? the 830m VERY high stally and 4.11 gears spell doom for practicality and consistent fuel economy

I've had stock 351's getting worse ecnomy. It averages out to 6000k's per year in that car. I still use new combo to oommute when I can afford the fuel to run a V8. My 1.8lt 02 Astina does very well.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

here's the spec of the 351 combo

http://www.users.on.net/~brenx/351spec.htm

It's very reliable. I used to drive 200k's to the strip, race and drive the 200k's home again. 400k round trip.

My current combo's also very reliable at this point. I'm going to hopefully test it's reliability on May 20th.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

brenx wrote:
I've had stock 351's getting worse ecnomy.

yea, but only cos they're running so damn rich it isnt funny

Banned

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
brenx wrote:
I've had stock 351's getting worse ecnomy.

yea, but only cos they're running so damn rich it isnt funny

Nah. Just the modified combo's have better power to weight ratios. Hence better economy.

A made of mine runs a 302 with a cam that has 224@50 roughly and mid 500's lift wise. 650dp sqaurebore, 3.5 gears and gets 450k's to the tank no problems. My mates 302 combo was in a XB coupe. We drove it all over Victoria.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

brenx wrote:
thermoquads overfuel the engines. The feel like they are giving a big kick but thats only because the primaries are tiny and the secondarys are massive almost 3-4 times the size of the primaries. Generally a car fitted with a thermoquad spews fuel out the back @ WOT (wide on throttle).

Squarebore carbs are the best on clevo's. I've spent many hours on the dyno with various carbs. Also dispelled the myth that double pumpers use more fuel than a vac sec.

If you have ANY mods on a clevo, a properly built double pumper holley will be the most appropriate carby for all occasions, but when I say "properly built" I mean built for the engine, using the correct #power valves, the right size jets/power valve oriface combo, the most appropriate linkage between prim/sec etc......
it seems like a lot of work, but a well built 650 will be more responsive & fuel efficient than a bigger off the shelf unit
just take my ol' fella's GT as a good example 363rwhp and 8km/L when nursed, but it has a 780DP as required

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

As I said earlier my 302 woked well with the thermoquad. I know that there is a lot of die hard holly fannatics out there but I tried the holleys up to 750cfm. they didn't do crap. I found that the best carb for my engine was the 850cfm thermoquad. Fuel econnomy was good and the zorst had a nice grey tinge at the tail pipes not the over fueled black colour with power that I was told I could not acheve. If I was to build another x series ford I would do the same again.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Well apart from my WX GTHO windsor I have an XC 302 Cleveland with short duation high lift cam, extractors, tricked up auto and 4.11 gears and a Tricked up 351 Thermoquad and I still get good economy TOWING a car trailer to races :roll: :shock: :D :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: F150 EL mont&2001 cobra

QLD, Australia

revhead wrote:
As I said earlier my 302 woked well with the thermoquad. I know that there is a lot of die hard holly fannatics out there but I tried the holleys up to 750cfm. they didn't do crap. I found that the best carb for my engine was the 850cfm thermoquad. Fuel econnomy was good and the zorst had a nice grey tinge at the tail pipes not the over fueled black colour with power that I was told I could not acheve. If I was to build another x series ford I would do the same again.

I hear ya mate. Do you know of anyone who knows how to rebuild a thermoquad? I got sucked into the holley bandwagon. I took off a well tuned thermoquad and put on a holley.

Smoken the hides in top gear

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

351EL wrote:
revhead wrote:

I hear ya mate. Do you know of anyone who knows how to rebuild a thermoquad? I got sucked into the holley bandwagon. I took off a well tuned thermoquad and put on a holley.

but.... do you know anyone that realy knows how to set up a holley properly,
I used to HATE the bloody things till I learned about the many things that need to be adjusted to suit each individual motor, 99.9% of tuners build em to factory spec, IE jets power valve & discharge nozzle etc,
when built to this ,it is just a compromise of power & economy as they had to have some sort of jetting/valve setup when new.
the most common mistake people make is to leave em as is, these carby's were designed for leaded fuel with RON of around 89, if you use premium unleaded the octane is 95-98 RON meaning you are already 8-10% too rich not to mention the 5% oversize jetting from the factory as a safeguard
this is just a tiny bit of setting one up properly, but whatever you feel is the best choice is totally you're decision and thermoquads were setup from the factory for these motors, parts arent as readily available though
cheers, kenny

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2