Fordmods Logo

Clevo v8 late model xd/xe style dizzys 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Clevo v8 late model xd/xe style dizzys
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA MkII XR8 and XE Sedan 351

NSW, Australia

Hey, just thought i'd try to find a decent dizzy for my 351 clevo ,it has a bosch style dizzy at the moment, it does have a bit of work 2 it, its a trick and mansweto built eng with around 450hp,question,would it be better to reco and regraph current dizzy or is their a better after market one available?? it is a xe also with a c4 with 3500 stally and 9 inch with 3.7:1 ratio ,it will be a street and strip car, cheers..Vito.

BRING BACK THE CLEVELAND!!!

My daily driver-1995 EF Falcon 5 speed 4lt
My project car/weekend warrior-1982 XE Falcon with 351 clevo power,new target is Sydney Powercruise!!
Now wrecking-1989 EA Falcon s-pack 5 speed CFI

Post subject: Re: Clevo v8 late model xd/xe style dizzys
Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

RAM wrote:
Hey, just thought i'd try to find a decent dizzy for my 351 clevo ,it has a bosch style dizzy at the moment, it does have a bit of work 2 it, its a trick and mansweto built eng with around 450hp,question,would it be better to reco and regraph current dizzy or is their a better after market one available?? it is a xe also with a c4 with 3500 stally and 9 inch with 3.7:1 ratio ,it will be a street and strip car, cheers..Vito.

Hi

Just use what you have already if it is a genuine Bosch distributor

Have it regraphed to suit you engines application these distributers are very good and will no doubt do your job.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year 2008

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Triton ute BA Futura

VIC, Australia

as above thats what i did - perfect

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

the bosch dizzies are ok, but in the long run you will be better off with an accel / msd dizzy, because of the ease of adjustabiity.
They are supplied with a selection of springs and bushes so you can setup your initial / total advance and the curves yourself. If you have cast heads you want a fair bit of initial timing (14-16 degrees) and the total timing in by around 3000 rpm

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

just keep in mind if you block is the late one fitted with factory electronic dizzy, the shaft size is different to the early ones.

MSD only do the shaft size that suits the early block. to fit an MSD dizzy you need to have it machined down to fit.

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:49 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA MkII XR8 and XE Sedan 351

NSW, Australia

Cool, thanks for the advice, i was thinking of getting the bosch dizzy reco'd and regraphed to suit my motor, that would work,or a accel dizzy, but not a procomp dizzy, i heard they are junk...vito.

BRING BACK THE CLEVELAND!!!

My daily driver-1995 EF Falcon 5 speed 4lt
My project car/weekend warrior-1982 XE Falcon with 351 clevo power,new target is Sydney Powercruise!!
Now wrecking-1989 EA Falcon s-pack 5 speed CFI

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

RAM wrote:
Cool, thanks for the advice, i was thinking of getting the bosch dizzy reco'd and regraphed to suit my motor, that would work,or a accel dizzy, but not a procomp dizzy, i heard they are junk...vito.

For better spark, you can hook up an MSD 6AL unit to the Bosch dizzy. It does make a difference, especially if you have 10:1 or better comp ratio.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

RAM wrote:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER buy any ignition parts from procomp. they are absolute s**t. a good condition bosch dizzy or NARDEK replacment dizzy and an MSD blaster coil will out perform and out last a complete procomp igntion (dizzy, CDI and coil)

the other problem with the procomp dizzies is they have to much mechanical advance and the advance springs are far soft. resulting in an engine that won't idle for lack of advance and will ping it's heads off at medium to high RPM due to over advance

like has been said. MSD or recond bosch dizzy with a MSD 6A or 6AL if you need a rev limmiter.

I'd go with an MSD dizzy for ease of setup. either ready to run if you only plan on using a coil by its self. or a magnetic pick version for use with a 6A.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]