Fordmods Logo

Cobra Manifold + Phenolic spacer questions. 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Cobra Manifold + Phenolic spacer questions.
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2058

Joined: 25th May 2006

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

G'day Guys.


Just bought a Cobra Manifold that has been Ported along with a 1/2" phemolic spacer.

Just out of curiosity,

1. Will the cobra manifold fit under the bonnet of a EF XR8 with the 1/2" phenolic spacer?

2. Do i need a gasket between the upper and lower manifolds, with or with out the spacer?

3. Is there any real gain to be had with the Spacer? It will be in a blown application, so I don't think a 1/2 inch will make a difference with the runner length.

Cheers Jason

 

_________________

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 3763

Joined: 25th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

Location: Sydney Australia
NSW, Australia

Yes should fit, but will be tight, especially the TPS's.
Yes you need the gaskets( there will be 2 for the spacer) or it will leak air bad
You may also need longer bolts for the upper to lower connection
There is a gain to be had, but it will be small, In a NA set up it will produce torque earlier in the rev range and should have a better top end punch. Not so sure the effect this will have on a blown motor.
Brett

 

_________________

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 169

Joined: 27th Jun 2005

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF XR8 5spd

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

I've fitted a 1/2" spacer on mine with an explorer, not sure if the cobra is different, I found my car made torque earlier as well as keeping the temp down on the top half of the manifold so I'd say it was worth it. I think I had to replace 4 of the 6 bolts with longer ones.

 

_________________

EF XR8 5spd: 302ci /178rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:55 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

It'll fit under bonnet.
You won't notice the difference when it's blown although there will be less heat transfer between upper and lower intakes which, as Kato says is a good thing. The principle is the same though; long runners mean more low end torque whether it's blown or not.
Just don't go putting that poxy hotplate back on the engine or you'll defeat the purpose.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2450

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

It'll fit, but it will hit the black sound deadening thing.

 

_________________

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2058

Joined: 25th May 2006

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Cheers guys.

Should be about the same as an explorer so going on that if it does fit I'll be keeping the spacer on there.

Quote:
Just don't go putting that poxy hotplate back on the engine or you'll defeat the purpose.


What am i gonna cook my bacon and eggs on then?? It was the first thing i Junked when I got my car.

 

_________________

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:59 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

schnoods wrote:
Cheers guys.

Should be about the same as an explorer so going on that if it does fit I'll be keeping the spacer on there.

Quote:
Just don't go putting that poxy hotplate back on the engine or you'll defeat the purpose.


What am i gonna cook my bacon and eggs on then?? It was the first thing i Junked when I got my car.


Supoib! 8-)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3531

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

Location: uoʇǝlƃuıs lʍoq ʇsnp
NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
schnoods wrote:
Cheers guys.

Should be about the same as an explorer so going on that if it does fit I'll be keeping the spacer on there.

Quote:
Just don't go putting that poxy hotplate back on the engine or you'll defeat the purpose.


What am i gonna cook my bacon and eggs on then?? It was the first thing i Junked when I got my car.


Supoib! 8-)


The plate is for either polishing and mounting in on the shed wall or painting and sign writing, making it your info board at car shows.

 

_________________

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant) http://tmacmechanical.com.au/

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:01 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 43

Posts: 1093

Joined: 29th Nov 2004

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

Location: Lower Hunter Valley
NSW, Australia

I sold my BBQ plate on eBay for $50. Didn't think there was a market for them...

 

_________________

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:11 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Posts: 311

Joined: 3rd Jan 2006

Location: tauranga
New Zealand

if you have trouble sourceing longer bolts you can do what i did on my explorer ......cut the bosses that are built up that the bolt heads seat on dowmn and file smooth then you can use the old bolts

handy when ya dont wanna wait a day for them to order them....and save some cash which im always short of :? :lol:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2450

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Doesn't the spacer kit come with the longer bolts anyway? You should be able to source the bolts separately.

 

_________________

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 43

Posts: 568

Joined: 15th Jan 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

Location: Sale
VIC, Australia

Macca wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
schnoods wrote:
Cheers guys.

Should be about the same as an explorer so going on that if it does fit I'll be keeping the spacer on there.

Quote:
Just don't go putting that poxy hotplate back on the engine or you'll defeat the purpose.


What am i gonna cook my bacon and eggs on then?? It was the first thing i Junked when I got my car.


Supoib! 8-)


The plate is for either polishing and mounting in on the shed wall or painting and sign writing, making it your info board at car shows.


your opinion I guess, I quite like mine, I have the cobra with the spacer as well, had to take the bonnet blanket out though, I have a 1" spacer I'd like to fit it but have to cut a hole in the bonnet :?

Image

 

_________________

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3531

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

Location: uoʇǝlƃuıs lʍoq ʇsnp
NSW, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
Macca wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
schnoods wrote:
Cheers guys.

Should be about the same as an explorer so going on that if it does fit I'll be keeping the spacer on there.

Quote:
Just don't go putting that poxy hotplate back on the engine or you'll defeat the purpose.


What am i gonna cook my bacon and eggs on then?? It was the first thing i Junked when I got my car.


Supoib! 8-)


The plate is for either polishing and mounting in on the shed wall or painting and sign writing, making it your info board at car shows.


your opinion I guess, I quite like mine, I have the cobra with the spacer as well, had to take the bonnet blanket out though, I have a 1" spacer I'd like to fit it but have to cut a hole in the bonnet :?

Image


Yes yours looks all neat painted up but it is merely hiding untidy stuff under there and keeping the heat in, plus you have to unbolt it to get to anything, I'm a lazy bum so I wouldn't put it back on.

 

_________________

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant) http://tmacmechanical.com.au/

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:28 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names