cooling problem? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: cooling problem?
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

i've noticed with my sprint that when she's up to temp, the radiator hoses dont go hard like they should, squeeze them, theres a pulse of coolant into the header tank, and a gurgling noise under the BBQ plate

now, this happens wether i've only just got it up to temp, or if i've driven for a couple of hours, but she never gets above half on the gauge, and she doesnt seem to be losing any coolant.....

anyone know whats going on?

Banned

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont 5.0

SA, Australia

That's normal from what I've seen on E-Series V8's, although I could be totally off track.

I always thought the hoses going hard was something that happened on old cars, because they don't have crossflow radiators like newer cars do, as well as modern cooling systems being designed better. On a similar note, E-Series don't have a spring in the bottom rad hose to stop it sucking itself in like older cars do.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Farimont

NSW, Australia

your cooling system should preessure up it raises the boiling point of the coolant. try replacing the cap

1997 Ford EL Fairmont
Blue Dash Mod
Red LCD mod
Full Alpine Sterio
Pedders Super Low Sports Rider Suspension
CSA avenger 17x8 (235/45 front) (255/40 Rear)
DBA slotted Rotors (front & Back)
EBC Greenstuff pads (front & Back)

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

You will only be able to touch/squeeze the hoses in if something is wrong.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

so your not ment to be able to squash radiator hose in when up to normal temp? does this go for all newer v8s and if ya can squash them in whats wrong? i know i can do it on one of my cars but cant rember wot one it was

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I had this exact same problem and when I changed the waterpump and radiator overflow cap it fixed it. I did them both at the same time so I assume it was the cap that fixed it. Only had a 100kPa and put on a 130 or 135 from memory. Make sure you get he recovery type though, I don't know why they still sell the non-recovery for newer cars!

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont 5.0

SA, Australia

Quote:
You will only be able to touch/squeeze the hoses in if something is wrong.

If what is wrong?

My EF gets up to temp within 5 mins, even in below 0c temps, and stays on 1/2 pretty much all the time, so I don't think anything is majorly wrong with the cooling system. I can squeeze the top and bottom rad hose still, although they aren't cold, and a bit harder than when it's dead cold. Certainly not as hard as the older cars (60's and 70's) I have seen. The overflow system works, the coolant level does vary from cold to hot, and the cap was replaced with the correct type.

Does anyone have an E-Series (or AU/BA/BF even) V8 that causes the hoses to go hard when it's hot? To me, hard hoses means there's excess pressure in the cooling system, which means it's running too hot, or it's done a head gasket.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Interesting... I'd like to know the answer to this topic. I was losing a bit of coolant through the overflow when running at half. With the new cap on there it seems to have fixed it, but now a tiny bit of coolant seeps through the gasket of the new waterpump I fitted.... maybe too much pressure.

Where do you draw the line of too much pressure/coolant loss? Mine runs at halfway when hot and sometimes a bit more with the aircon on at higher speeds. Maybe in need of a new radiator - still on its original & 8 years old.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

i thaught that if ya radiator hoses go realy hard when running it was getting hot or is that only on old cars cos when im out scrub bashing and i stop to let the car cool i wait till hoses arnt hard any more before i check the water other wise well we all no what hapens when you open a hot radiator cap

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

The system should pressurise after about 10 min of driving, the radiator cap will release pressure if its to great in the system, the cap i think from memory is about 8 psi. If after 10 min of driving the temp has not risen between 1/4 and 1/2 theres something wrong (thermostat stuck open) If the top radiator is not tight to squeese the seal on the radiator/overflow tank has degridated over time causing a leak or there are greater problems like a head gasket. If unsure where the leak is have the system pressure tested.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

joolz wrote:
The system should pressurise after about 10 min of driving, the radiator cap will release pressure if its to great in the system, the cap i think from memory is about 8 psi. If after 10 min of driving the temp has not risen between 1/4 and 1/2 theres something wrong (thermostat stuck open) If the top radiator is not tight to squeese the seal on the radiator/overflow tank has degridated over time causing a leak or there are greater problems like a head gasket. If unsure where the leak is have the system pressure tested.

The pressure cap should be 100-125 kpa all EF/EL 6 and 8 cyl engines which is about 15 psi. acording to the genuine manual. :lol:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Post subject: Re: cooling problem?
Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Got the same problem. My vehicle is fuel-injected, power steering and with no cruise. About a week my car started running really hot and the flow of my cold air intake is not proper. Any inputs. Thanks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]