Fordmods Logo

Crate Engines 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Crate Engines
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Hey guys, I'm looking to see if anyone has had experience with crate engines because I might be interested in getting one further down the track.
What I want to know is (and I've done alot of searching already):
Has anyone had a crate engine or helped install one perhaps.
Are they worth buying for a streeter? Or better off as a drag engine with warranty?
Is the warranty void if you alter the engine from how you bought it? (ie: cam/rockers etc)
Do they make similar power (or better/worse) to 'professionally rebuilt' engines?
Are they already run-in in most cases? As I'd like to do this myself to be sure it's done the way I want it done.

I'm looking at 351 at this point and most of the crates seem to be Windsors, but I was leaning towards a rebuilt Clevo. Buying a crate engine just seems easier...less hassles/
A crate engine would mean I don't have to find a suitable block for rebuild and I wouldnt have to consult a rebuilder and have to worry about getting ripped off or poor workmanship. Yeah...I havent met a mechanic I trust...yet.

I'm just not sure if they are worth buying or if I should stick to a rebuilt engine and have custom picked heads/cam/pistons.

This is just R&D atm, all ideas and opinions welcome!

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

where are you looking to buy a crate engine from? Plenty of interstate engine builders will sell you a crate motor. Getting them from OS is hard as they didn't have clevo's for as long as us aussies.

Durability will depend on how you treat the engine and maintain it. If you have no idea? You could wipe it off in a week or even a few hours. Best way to prevent too much trouble is have the engine run in on an engine dyno. thsi way you have a report and you can work out what the driveline requirements will be.

XB Fairmont sedan 11.07@123.02mph

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

I've been looking at EagleAutoParts.com.au at engines like this one:
http://www.eagleautoparts.com.au/M-6007-Z351S.htm
Not sure about the running in, I guess it depends entrirely on the person that does it, but I want to be 100% sure that it isnt babied too much and that the rings are bedded in properly, I would certainly ask about their procedure first though.

Anyone have any other aussie websites for crate engines? I mainly have US ones...

And thanks for your input Brenx!

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Pavtek - http://www.pavtek.com.au sell crate motors. I recommend them as they did the machine work and most of assembly of my short motor. I just had to get it home and finish it up. I took it back for engine dynoing once I completed bolting it all together.

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

What sort of car is this going into? Are you looking at having it street registered as well?

I have heard the World Products ones aren't too bad either (check out Rocket)

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

I've seen pavtek and rocket, both look about the same. Not sure if World Products are Ozzie, will have to check.

The car Im planning to run is a '69 Capri, with upgraded suspension and brakes, street registered and weekend driven. I do want the engine bay to look top notch though, maybe not a big show winner, due to the lack of big shows over here, but something I can be proud of for sure.

I wonder if it might be a better idea to get a short motor and buy some atfermarket heads?
So many options...just want to know what other people have done or want to do!

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Depending on who you buy heads through? Cyl head prices vary from place to place. Doing a short motor is cheaper in freight for a start.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

Melchior3 wrote:
The car Im planning to run is a '69 Capri, with upgraded suspension and brakes, street registered and weekend driven.

Ok, I was just asking because if you were planning on throwing something like that into a newer car, you would have to deal with the emission laws of that year. Putting it into a '69 you should't have too much trouble.

I don't think World is an Oz company, but I could be very wrong there.

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:57 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Kilma wrote:
Melchior3 wrote:
The car Im planning to run is a '69 Capri, with upgraded suspension and brakes, street registered and weekend driven.

Ok, I was just asking because if you were planning on throwing something like that into a newer car, you would have to deal with the emission laws of that year. Putting it into a '69 you should't have too much trouble.

I don't think World is an Oz company, but I could be very wrong there.

Yeah, I know all about emissions now, I used to get mixed up on whether it was the car or engine that the emissions had to comply to. But I have it firmly drumed into my head that it's the car.

Oh I checked out World, theyre in Nevada USA, IIRC.
I imagine prices would be the same from just about any domestic place, but some of the pavtek stuff looks GREAT:
http://www.pavtek.com.au/ek_eliminator.html
Ford 351 2V Clev | Long Motor -Assemb. | ACCELERATOR STG2 | 380HP | $4600 L351C2
That sounds good to me, I was aiming for about 400 FWHP as it is. The stage3 has 50 more HP, but is like $4k more :roll:
From what I can gather this is a rebuild, not sure if you have to supply your own block, I would imagine so.[/b][/i]

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

You could go this one -> http://www.pavtek.com.au/ek_3v_silver.html

I've seen the above with a camshaft swap do 500+hp. Difference is this one has alloy heads not cast iron 2V's. You don't have to supply a block with Pavtek. The can supply one if need be. They send motors all over Aust.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:58 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

That one looks pretty darn nice!
I'm curious as to what they mean by "using the dual plane intake means bonnet clearance wont be an issue".
Because I'd like to keep it all under the bonnet if possible and Im not real keen on using a large scoop (though I would use a smaller one just for air intake).
I'll do some searching, but feel free to reply with the answer/experience because I see that the dual plane also has lower TQ and HP.

Also do you happen to know if they will install a custom cam @ buildup? Rather than changing it later?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

If you use the matched intake manifold which is 7.2" tall the carb will pop out the bonnet. You can get away with the top half of a hornet scoop. I currently have a hornet scoop but am chaning to a custom bonnet as I'm not real keen on hornet scoops. The only reason my car has one is Vic roads required it.

this pic gives you an idea of how tall the matched manifold is.

Pavtek will build whatever you after. If you were local they'd even show you what each engine does with varying components. I found them to be very thorough and fast. I had an engine in and out inc engine dyno'd in 4 or 6 weeks.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Nice engine, looks like your car in the background too hey :D
I think having the top half of a hornet looks good sometimes, i dontlike having a huge chunk of crap on the bonnet though. I especially want to make sure its roadworthy, as I plan to never get defected if I can help it, lol...
Cant remember the restrictions for bonnet scoops, will check on it when needed.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Conservatively your allowed 85mm above the bonnet and the opening has to be no larger than 6.5cm wide which a hornet scoop is. You solve that by putting some mesh from supercheap or autobarn.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

here's a pik of the same heads with a non-drop down based aircleaner. If I had removed the 1" spacer and put a drop down based aircleaner it would have gone under bonnet :wink: The manifold on this is 5.25" tall.

Last edited by brenx on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next