Fordmods Logo

D2AE BLOCK NUMBERS 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: D2AE BLOCK NUMBERS
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:00 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xc gxl

VIC, Australia

Gday guys, I recently bought myself a rebuilt 302C to go in my xc. on delivery I discovered the block had been stamped D2AE-CA followed by 6D29 this seemed very unusual as the guy I bought it off said it was from an xe. also the heads have "4" stamped in several places but he said it was a 2V.

Ive seen in some other forums, people talking about boss 351 blocks and 4v heads with 2v valves. Im stumped and would love for someone to settle all this confusion once and for all.

Cheers

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

The 4 doesn't stand for 4V so ignore that.

I think there was a site a few years back with casting numbers and info but can't remember now.... I'm sure one of the guys here will have some info on them.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

Try this. It is a good read and it should help you.

http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/engines.html

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

that site suggests that the heads are actually 4v and that the block may possibly have been in an xa or a boss 351.....sooo confused now

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

here's a photo of the block number

Attachments:
block no..jpg
block no..jpg [ 28.76 KiB | Viewed 869 times ]

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XB 351 V8 & BA GT

NSW, Australia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gday taity , I asked a friend from the Aust GT Club site about your engine numbers and he repilied with this :
"Samsy,
6D29 is the date the block was cast ... 29th April 1976 .... possibly out of a late XB??? but very likely out of a XC.
Peter "

I hope this has helped you mate

XB 351 and BA GT

FordMods No: 288

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Also found this for you to maybe help with your 4V or 2V identification :

2V: - US 2V open chamber, has "2" image cast in the corner. Imported on early 351's.

2V: - AUS 2V closed chamber, no cast number in corner. Fitted to Aus made 302/351

4V: - US 4V closed chamber heads, has "4" cast in the corner. Imported

XB 351 and BA GT

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Samsy wrote:
Also found this for you to maybe help with your 4V or 2V identification :

2V: - US 2V open chamber, has "2" image cast in the corner. Imported on early 351's.

2V: - AUS 2V closed chamber, no cast number in corner. Fitted to Aus made 302/351

4V: - US 4V closed chamber heads, has "4" cast in the corner. Imported

Why have i seen a 4 cast on a 2V closed chamber, also seen a 2 on a closed chamber 2V.
I asked the same question to my head man years ago as he was Clevo mad.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hmm we never ever seem to be able to get a conclusive answer on this ! I this got this info from the guys from the Aust GT Club, they are fanatical about every detail of there cars as you can imagine, but there always seems to be differnt answers in relation to head markings. What is known for sure is that during the 70's Ford did some odd things at times and didnt keep very good records all the time on what they did.

XB 351 and BA GT

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ok so i pulled off the heads and they are definately 2V....very wierd and dissappointing. now whats the go with the block? does anybody know what the D2AE-CA means or stands for? does anybody know where it came from or what is was originally?

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

I just did a bit of a search and found this.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Ford-351-Clevel ... 0001410755

There's a lot of info on the site, but I think the paragraph below could be the part you'd be interested in.

Notes on 351C Block Casting Numbers
Be careful what you read on the internet. Boss 351s were produced with at least two different casting numbers, one of which is shared with 2-bolt main, non-Boss 351C engines of the era - casting number is DOAE-L. For the Boss 351, Ford drilled this 2-bolt block to accept 4-bolt main caps. Most DOAE-L blocks have 2-bolt main caps. For the 351-4V CJ engine, many websites will tell you that the block casting number is D2AE-CA. Indeed, every 351C-CJ I've seen used the D2AE-CA block, but I've also seen this same block in 2V 351C Torino station wagons, with 2 bolts on all five caps. Again, it's a case of Ford selectively drilling blocks to accept 4-bolt main caps. So if you find a D2AE-CA engine, remove the oil pan and inspect the main caps before purchasing it.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

taity09 wrote:
ok so i pulled off the heads and they are definately 2V....very wierd and dissappointing. now whats the go with the block? does anybody know what the D2AE-CA means or stands for? does anybody know where it came from or what is was originally?

6D29 is the date the block was cast ... 29th April 1976 .... possibly out of a late XB??? but very likely out of a XC.

XB 351 and BA GT

Post subject: Re: D2AE BLOCK NUMBERS
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

taity09 wrote:
Gday guys, I recently bought myself a rebuilt 302C to go in my xc. on delivery I discovered the block had been stamped D2AE-CA followed by 6D29 this seemed very unusual as the guy I bought it off said it was from an xe. also the heads have "4" stamped in several places but he said it was a 2V.

Ive seen in some other forums, people talking about boss 351 blocks and 4v heads with 2v valves. Im stumped and would love for someone to settle all this confusion once and for all.

Cheers

Hi

The Boss351 cleveland block has different casting code of this nature D1ZE-A and D1ZE-B of which yours is D2AE-CA so defiantly not a boss block

6D29 as the last guy quote the 6 = 1976 year D = march month 29 = 29th day .

What is the engine number ? the Letters 5 and 6 of the engine number will tell you what it year and month it was fitted in a particular vehicle.

Letter 1:

The first letter in the body prefix identifies the country, with "J" identifying Australia , ( J = Australia )

Letter 2:

The next letter in the body prefix identifies the assembly plant, with "G" identifying Broadmeadows , ( G = Broadmeadows )

Numbers 3 and 4 , The following 2 numbers identify the model

Letters 5 and 6 of the engine number , year and month the vehicle was built.

ie example JG31NG*****K , J = Australia , G = Broadmeadows , 31 = Falcon 500 Wagon , N = 1973 and the G = August and so on

From my example you should be able to work something out at least the date the vehicle had the vin number stamped which is the same as the engine number ( please note not casting numbers ).

Otherwise if you care to send me a PM of you whole engine number i can work it all out for you and PM it back

There is more information in a VIN number = engine number than what people realize

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]