DIY Prelube??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: DIY Prelube???
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday,

I was snooping around fordmuscleparts today and saw an "Oil sandwich" http://www.fordmuscleparts.com.au/cat/?op=sp&id=1539 It screws into the oil filter thread on the block and has an intake and an output hole to allow the use of an oil cooler.

I had the idea that I may be able to attach an auxillary oil pump and a bypass valve to make a basic pre lube system. Not too sure if it would do anything or simply circulate oil around a small circuit, for example just pushing oil in a circle from the intake to the output and back again and not to the heads, thats why im posting.

I thought that a bypass valve would be needed to isolate the auxillary pump when the engine is running. If it was a viable option I would just have a button on the dash to run the pump and have the solenoid connected to the "on" wire of the ignition to automatically bypass the pump when the engine is on.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Attachments:
prelube.JPG
prelube.JPG [ 8.7 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Unless your on the race track or towing ultra heavy loads long distance why would you need this.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:58 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

I only start the car once a week so I was thinking it would be a good idea to have a bit of oil pressure and oil in the heads before I hit the key. It would not operate while the engine is running, just letting the std oil pump do its job.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:21 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

hmmmm :? Now im confused. I was talking to a bloke that builds hotrods and he thought it would be the best thing since sliced bread, and then I asked a mechanic and he didnt think having oil pressure before U hit the key would be beneficial at-all....

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

I don't think it would be worth it, don't get me wrong it would be good to have oil up, but with a good engine your pressure is up quickly anyway.
You could always have a kill switch on your ignition, and turn the car over for a few seconds before firing LOL.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

If you drive the car once a week I dont see a problem just use a quality oil which you should any way it's not like it only gets started every 6 months or so.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:42 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Fair enough then. I run the good stuff at the moment so I might just keep the idea for a rainy day. Most of the parts for my engine came in today so Im a bit too poor to go wasting cash.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:08 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

It is a good idea and you can buy systems like that from mobs like Stefs in the U.S. The Stefs system has reservoir that stores up a "shot" of oil in a canister under pressure, the next time you go to start it lets the solenoid go and injects the oil before you crank.

Pete.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]