Fordmods Logo

Doing up a NC 5.0 and looking for some advice 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Doing up a NC 5.0 and looking for some advice
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

hi all,

bought myself a nice NC that i want to do up but i have only got experience with different 6s so the 5.0 is new to me. becuase of this i was hoping people could help me with a few questions:

- The motor in this car starts and runs really well (ie not knock, ticks etc) but the oil is a bit sludgy and there is a bit of gunk under the oil cap. i want to run some cheap oil through the motor a few times to flush it all out before i put good oil and a good filter in it. my question is would you recommend using an actual oil flush or just use a few doses of cheap oil and change after a very short period (i have heard that oil flush can put gunk in the lifters and damage them)

-also i want to put a thermo fan on the motor and get rid of the clutch fan, i know it is common to put the EF/EL twin unit on them. i have a davis craig copy sitting at home that is 16" and is a very strong unit. will this be sufficient for a 5ltr or will it require twins?

- i also want to put an exhaust on the car. are the standard manifolds really quite bad or are they sufficient? will i get a better note from the extractors?

- i am looking at running a twin system, i was thinking about running twin 2 1/4s with two hot dogs on each side, i heard a similar system with 3 on each and it sounded good. what does everyone think of this idea? will it be too loud? drone etc?

- i have also been looking on ebay, people sell the larger intake scoops off of the EL XR8 i think it is, they are quite a bit bigger and go for around the $40 mark. will these fit straight on to my airbox?

thanks alot in advance. CHeers!

Post subject: Re: Doing up a NC 5.0 and looking for some advice
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
hi all,

bought myself a nice NC that i want to do up but i have only got experience with different 6s so the 5.0 is new to me. becuase of this i was hoping people could help me with a few questions:

- The motor in this car starts and runs really well (ie not knock, ticks etc) but the oil is a bit sludgy and there is a bit of gunk under the oil cap. i want to run some cheap oil through the motor a few times to flush it all out before i put good oil and a good filter in it. my question is would you recommend using an actual oil flush or just use a few doses of cheap oil and change after a very short period (i have heard that oil flush can put gunk in the lifters and damage them)

-also i want to put a thermo fan on the motor and get rid of the clutch fan, i know it is common to put the EF/EL twin unit on them. i have a davis craig copy sitting at home that is 16" and is a very strong unit. will this be sufficient for a 5ltr or will it require twins?

- i also want to put an exhaust on the car. are the standard manifolds really quite bad or are they sufficient? will i get a better note from the extractors?

- i am looking at running a twin system, i was thinking about running twin 2 1/4s with two hot dogs on each side, i heard a similar system with 3 on each and it sounded good. what does everyone think of this idea? will it be too loud? drone etc?

- i have also been looking on ebay, people sell the larger intake scoops off of the EL XR8 i think it is, they are quite a bit bigger and go for around the $40 mark. will these fit straight on to my airbox?

thanks alot in advance. CHeers!

Another NC! WooHoo! They seem to be coming out of the woodwork ATM, and deffinately groin in popularity.

Sounds like it hasn't had an oil change for a while, you could run a couple of litre of cheaper stuff through it to get rid of some of the sludge, but a new filter and a good synthetic would be a good look.

Not sure on the thermo's mate, i'm still to do mine, I have the thermo's lined up but still need to get my hands on the rest, like the davis craig switches etc, but you will need to change to thermo's for the Bigger intake snorkel to fit, that's what I have been told anyway.

The stock exhaust manifolds are crap! Very restrictive. Others will recommend a particular brand of extractors and the debate has been done to death, but I have the EL GT's and together with my custom cat back twins with 6 hotdogs (hmmmmm, sounds familiar), I am very happy with the sound. It's a bit on the loud side, but does not drone at all.

Good luck with the build mate.

Cheers,

Mick

PS. Got any pics???

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Post subject: Re: Doing up a NC 5.0 and looking for some advice
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
hi all,

use cheap oil mixed with deisel fuel. DO NOT REV idle only.

TUF250 wrote:

Go twin thermo, work very well and factory. Also there is a blank that you can use to fit a switch.

TUF250 wrote:

Standard are not the best, so upgrade will be best. Also a 2.25 dual exhaust will give great note.

TUF250 wrote:

Refer to previous response. Oh, you need resinators..

TUF250 wrote:
Yeah the Tickford does help getting the air in.

thanks alot in advance. CHeers![/quote]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]