Dumped at diff???? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I saw an AC cobra replica the other day and the exhaust pipe was exiting the side of the car between the rear and front wheels. Is this techincally legal cause its exiting the car or is it only legal if he car was produced like that.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB Fairmont

SA, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
I saw an AC cobra replica the other day and the exhaust pipe was exiting the side of the car between the rear and front wheels. Is this techincally legal cause its exiting the car or is it only legal if he car was produced like that.

Its legal if its behind the last door.

Doin it for Scotty.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

QLD, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
I have a pretty good idea as to why its not legal but I'd like to know why some of the guys dr dogooders on here reckon its not legal so lets here the various reasons.

"Us Dogooders" are all probably sick and tired of the endless legislation that has been forced down our throats because of experimenters that have done mods that have lead to deaths or have been on a car that has been involved in a death or serious accident.

We may also just like to pass on a bit of advice that could save the life of you or your family!

Doesn't mean that we didn't do dicey mods when we were younger, just that we like to protect our hobby/sport and hand down some advice so others can possibly avoid the pitfalls that have been done before.

Grumbles One of the Dogooders

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

ISQUIK wrote:
clearly the heat on floor pan, exhaust gases maybe

Almost Bingo. From what I understand the exhaust gasses get trapped underneath the car and churn around till they eventually find their way into the cabin. If anyone wants to have a look around my boot on the FM dyno day you can see even how bad long term exhaust fume stains are on a dead stock and legal car.

My brother has his zorst dumped at the diff in his VL and I seriously feel ill after 15 mins in that thing. Also even though the pipes exit the rear of the car, if the tips are bent down the fumes can still get trapped under the car. my XF was pretty bad for that and so was a friends vl. just pays to use your head abit these days before seriously making your car illegal without even thinking.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

WA, Australia

has to be past the last door on the vehicle and protruding out the car by 2 inches.

for exhaust fumes reasons.

i went to replace my exhaust on my ute and after cutting off the dodgey home made twin exhaust i went to fit the new exhaust and realized it was not going to fit, currently i have a dumper coming out 100mm from the rear muffler, its only temporary but its hard to believe how quick the car fills up with gases, i wouldnt wanna drive this car too far.

so i wouldnt recomend having a dumper.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Don't forget it's gonna drone like a b**ch with it ending at the diff.
Trust me on that! Even if the tips are angle down. It will s**t you, or at least anyone that gets in your car.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:57 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

^^^^ I'll vouch for that!
I had the exhaust in the corty dumped before the diff, for a bit.
Droned so bad I had to use earplugs if I was going anymore than 5 mins, otherwise Migraine! Car was no fun to drive. s**t me off so bad I lashed out and built myself a full mandrel bent 2 1/2" system.
And as an added bonus, I can actually breath inside the car now!
I Don't even bother dropping the exhaust for the drags anymore.
Not worth the headaches and nausea... :cry:

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

when my exhaust was dunped at the diff when the tail piece was being repaired, it almost completely dried up one of the rubber bushes in a suspention component. be aware of that.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Post subject: exhaust
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My XR8 exhaust ends just sfter diff, so the muffler ends just before the diff and then a 3inch pipe goes over the diff and facing out towards the back tyre. Sound mad as there's load but yeh its loud and you hear me coming a couple street's away. So i might be doing a full 3in with 2 hooker mufflers twin highflow cats and a single resinator

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just drop it just before the bar like BA etc like XH5LWEPN said, save you the heartache of being defected.

As xcabbi and others stated it has the potential for the fumes to get into the cabin, but then again that can happen with it exiting from the rear if the boot etc seal is leaking.

I used to run a single 2.5" behind a 351 Cleveland using one Lukey Turbo muffler (To restrictive, but this was the days of people telling you 3" was to big), I cut it at the diff after removing the lowering blocks and getting reset leaf springs, the exhaust ended up hitting the springs, man what a difference it made, I didn't have a drone problem like others have but it sounded awesome, even when getting pulled over by the Queensland cops RBT with less than 100mm ground clearance (QLD at that time minimum was 150mm "4WD height") and dust flying everywhere they never took any notice.
But I was lucky, underneath was sealed up pretty good, my exhaust would bring tears to the eyes and I never smelt it inside.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: el gli manwel

QLD, Australia

hear hear ballizticbobo i had my ea dumped just before the diff sounded half decent but the fumes could kill. had to pull over on side of pacific motorway for an air break. f**k sucks abut we found either ALL WINDOWS DOWN OR ALL WINDOWS UP no fumes

THE LOOSEST MUTHA FUKA YOU'VE EVER MET

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2