Eating away top radiator hoses 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Eating away top radiator hoses
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

I have been through about 6-8 in the last 4 months.

Turns out the supercharger pulley is rubbing on the bottom of them when the engine moves. I had the engine mounts replaced about 3 months ago, and it was fine, but has started it again. Took it back in for a check up, and told the engine mounts are half worn already.

I have been given 2 options by my mechanic.
1. Get some hardcore engine mounts (same ones as in a TT XR8 over east)
2. Chain the f-king engine down.

I have been told option 2 makes for a very rough/uncomfortable ride though, so I have gone with the first option.

I have also been advised (by a friend) to investigate some engine dampners, just in case these mounts don't work as well as I am hoping.

Does anyone know if they are made for an EF XR8, or would they have to be custom? If custom, any suggestions as to where to go?

Any other suggestions at all as to what could help?

Cheers
Kilma

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

In which way do the belts run? It wouldnt be easier to get an idler setup to divert the belt? Or possibly try a different hose? Cut one end shorter so that it bends slightly different? Use one of those awful flex hoses?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

I have exactly the same problem, its very common with the Vortech kits. Any engine making that much power will move a bit (mine does and the engine mounts are brand new) so I doubt your engine mounts need replacing. Solid mounts are good, but as you said transmit a lot more engine vibration through the chasis.

The easiest solution is to have a metal section of upper radiator hose made up, a sharp 90 degree bend as it comes out from the radiator then run parallel to the radiator for at least a few inches before bending back to towards the engine. You can then use the radiator hose for the rest. I will hopefully get one of these made up shortly, don't think my radiator hose will last that long.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:25 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mm diffrent hose as andrew suggested? or some cable ties to hold it away from the belt :)

i like EDXR8's idea though :)

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

That's nasty

What's actually rubbing on the hose? Is it the top idler pulley from the bracket??

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
That's nasty

What's actually rubbing on the hose? Is it the top idler pulley from the bracket??

Yeah the top idler is what causes the problems on the Vortech kits. The CAPA instructions say to cut 1" off the radiator hose at the radiator end, and that pulls the hose towards the radiator giving a bit more clearance, but that still doesn't give enough in many cases.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
That's nasty

Yeah the top idler is what causes the problems on the Vortech kits. The CAPA instructions say to cut 1" off the radiator hose at the radiator end, and that pulls the hose towards the radiator giving a bit more clearance, but that still doesn't give enough in many cases.

Ah ok... lol, beat me to it Grant. I found that when fitting the PD, had to chop a fair bit off the top hose to bring it forward and give clearance and was going to suggest this.

But then, my engine wouldnt have nearly as much torque-twist as you vortech lads.

You guys run a 6pk1615 for the blower belt? Maybe see if you can get something a bit longer... 6pk1680 or a 6pk1700. With the longer belt, you may be able to push the tensioner puller down further to get the right tension on the belt... may give the extra clearance required??

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

I have tried cutting the radiator hose a little, but it still chewed through it. I currently have a little spacer type thing attached to the bracket for the charger, to push the hose out of the way, but it still rubs when I give it stick.

I will look into the piping idea that you suggested as well.

Thanks guys.

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]