Fordmods Logo

eb 5.ol into xf? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: eb 5.ol into xf?
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

is this a hard conversion??

and woud all the standard manifolds still work with the xf exaust?

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok then so its a pretty straight forward conversion?

thnx for ur advice mate

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Depending if after market tappet covers are used you don't have to move the heater outlet in an XF using a 5.0L, they clear with ease.

There is a member with the name like "Smick" that has done this conversion and has documents much of it here and other forums.

Pete has a sticky thread where he fitted a 351W to an XE, much the same but the 5.0L will be an easier fit.

Use XA-XE V8 engine mount brackets and rubber mounts, they bolt straight in, no mods required, depending on the transmission you use, you might have to drill some holes for the gearbox cross member or modify/manufacture a gearbox cross member.

If you use a C4 or C6 you will need to modify the shifter as the linkages are on different sides on a Borg Warner auto, if you use the BW 4 speed auto you might be able to fit a shifter from an E series.

Tail shaft length is the same for BW three speed auto, BW single rail, most top loaders, Ford spec BW T5, C4 and FMX auto, no idea about any other tranny.

If you are running EFI 5.0L and you don't have an EFI 4.1, you will need return lines and the pickup/sender from an EFI sedan, no idea if the original fuel pump would be adequate for the 5.0L, but Walbro etc pumps are a cheap alternative for the job.

If the XF is post 86 (unleaded) you will require catalytic converters by law.

I don't know why but Athol is not in the list right now, but there is others available at Cardiff etc
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... er2008.pdf

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:28 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Here's me 5.0 into XG van thread.

http://www.perthfalcons.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3490

Hopefully it'll be a goer today!

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Macca wrote:
Depending if after market tappet covers are used you don't have to move the heater outlet in an XF using a 5.0L, they clear with ease.

There is a member with the name like "Smick" that has done this conversion and has documents much of it here and other forums.

Pete has a sticky thread where he fitted a 351W to an XE, much the same but the 5.0L will be an easier fit.

Use XA-XE V8 engine mount brackets and rubber mounts, they bolt straight in, no mods required, depending on the transmission you use, you might have to drill some holes for the gearbox cross member or modify/manufacture a gearbox cross member.

If you use a C4 or C6 you will need to modify the shifter as the linkages are on different sides on a Borg Warner auto, if you use the BW 4 speed auto you might be able to fit a shifter from an E series.

Tail shaft length is the same for BW three speed auto, BW single rail, most top loaders, Ford spec BW T5, C4 and FMX auto, no idea about any other tranny.

If you are running EFI 5.0L and you don't have an EFI 4.1, you will need return lines and the pickup/sender from an EFI sedan, no idea if the original fuel pump would be adequate for the 5.0L, but Walbro etc pumps are a cheap alternative for the job.

I don't know why but Athol is not in the list right now, but there is others available at Cardiff etc
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... er2008.pdf

ok so can i use the auto that is on the motor atm?

and anothert question...would i gave to get a tail shaft made to fit?

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
Macca wrote:

Only if you are running petrol. My XF with the clevo had to be LPG only, all the fuel components, tank and carby had to be completely removed to pass engineering. No fuel, not cats, I have a twin 2.5inch system with a high flow muffler in each side.

Survey says: Bong Bong.

RTA Vehicle Standards Information No. 14 - LPG Fuelled Vehicles wrote:
Usually, no re-testing of engine exhaust emissions is required for LPG conversions if a vehicle is
intended to operate primarily on LPG. However, catalytic converters and associated emission and
engine control systems of any vehicle originally operating on unleaded petrol must remain operational.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... /vsi14.pdf

EPA requirements, nothing to do with RTA engineering, make sure you have that catalytic converters were not required on your engineers certificate to avoid the big $$$ fine for removing them if you get sent to EPA by a cop etc, which happens. (Could be the reason Athol Mullins isn't in the list any more?)

There is a high chance you will probably fail with the converters fitted anyway because a high flow 2.5" twin systems isn't likely to be under 90 decibels and many gas systems won't pass EPA's emissions test, I have seen a stock XD V8 fail and then fail again fitted with a dyno tuned straight gas OHG setup.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dawso_xr8 wrote:

ok so can i use the auto that is on the motor atm?

and anothert question...would i gave to get a tail shaft made to fit?

Yes you can use the auto, the slip joint is the same as C4, most Top Loaders, BW single rail and all other Borg Warner transmissions, but I am not sure about length, I have a feeling it is a little longer than the older trannies but it would be nice if I am wrong, as this would mean you could used your original tail shaft without shortening.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
Was that a Black XD sedan with chrome 16 inch EF/EL copy mags? If so, I bought that complete LPG system with the OHG mixer off him. I couldn't get the mixer to run at all so I went back to my Impco 425.

If it was Black with an XE front you have the right one, to be honest that mixer was very worn, they knew it was f**k and needed another one, Gas Power advised them of this, that is why Mick sold the car, even when it had a stock V8 running a stock Thermoquad they couldn't get it to pass at EPA in Sydney, I think they returned three times, three fails, but saying this I have seen other old style Impco systems (425 based) that wouldn't pass the same tests when tuned on a dyno.

BTW the converter law has been around a long time, it is EPA not RTA etc so it can not be bypassed.

I fitted a 351 Clevo into my XF Ghia wagon in 92, I ran it on straight LPG so all I had to do was a white form change of compliance back then (no engineer required), I still had to leave the catalytic converter on but I didn't have to do an emissions test like if I had left it on unleaded (it wouldn't have passed :twisted: ).
I registered it in QLD just over a year later, where I had to have a modification plate fitted, no idea if it would have complied on petrol.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
that sounds like the one. I think he sold it for $4500. He was going to put it back to petrol.

I have no doubt, my car wouldn't pass any tests. It just wasn't a requirement for engineering when I had it done 8 months ago. But, I rarely drive it, and I don't go to places where it will attract attention. It would be a hassle for most modified cars to pass like you said.

But I would recommend going to VTOL for any engineering. If this guy does the conversion. Well worth the $450 I paid to have it all done.

What does the $450 include? :D

Well I will keep my trap shut if VTOL is a bit on the easy side :twisted:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]