EB XR8 into EA sedan 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EB XR8 into EA sedan
Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA Falcon Hybrid

VIC, Australia

im getting a EB XR8 that has been in a crash (the body is f**k) and i want to put it into my EA sedan. :D

1. will it go in all right? :?

2. what do i do about the computer and the wireing. will it be hard to change?

3. the EB is a auto and my car is a manual, so what do i do about the computer. will the V8 auto computer still run all right with the Manual behind it. can you just leave the auto wireing off and just run the engine wireing?

4. what to i do about the fuel pump, cooling system, abs stuff, my ea does not have abs, etc?

5. will i have to get it engineered to keep it reged.

does anyone no if it will be hard, have i missed any thing? what will be the beast way to do things.

thanks

<<<DAN's CARS>>>
* 88 EA Falcon X2
* 81 FJ40
* 73 KE26 X2
* 73 KE20 x2
* 69 KE10 X2
and more

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

rego may be an issue as the EA's never came fitted with a V8 - can anyone else confirm this? :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

VIC, Australia

You really have a very huge job ahead of you, it ill be a LOT easier to get an EB to drop all the goods into. But if you are determined to do it... here are some answers to your questions.

1. Sorta, you will have a lot of modding to do.

2. Use all the wiring and running gear from the EB and it should be OK

3. No. Your manual will not fit into the V8. Besides the fact the input shaft is different, the gearing is different, and you will need a new bellhousing to suit. Just run the auto, unless you can find a V8 manual gearbox at a wreckers.

4. Run EVERYTHING from the EB, and you should be right.

5. Yep - you will need to get it engineered.

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green
2006 BF GT - Silhouette Black
2011 FG XR6 Ute - Nitro Blue

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

The best way would be to sell your EA and buy an EB XR8!

Seriously this is a can of worms that you are opening and it could get very messy.

1. You will need the V8 K-frame in your EA to mount the motor.

2. The engine bay loom will need to be swapped into the EA, however it should marry up with the dash and body looms ok.

3. Your T5 is not compatible with the V8 and will need expensive modification to make it fit. The input shaft and front bearings (at least) are different. The V8 T5 has different ratio and is a fair bit stronger than the EA T5 to handle the extra torque. THe auto computer will cause drama's unless you defeat the computer into thinking that your 'auto box' is in neutral. (Need the loom and inline wire resistors).

4. All the V8 ancillaries need to be used it power steering etc (ABS should not be a problem tho as the EB 1 XR8 did not have it). I think the fuel pump in the EB was a higher pressure one than the EA but you would have to check. (You should be able to use the one out of the wreck anyway). Radiator is different and the engine bay layout is different as well. ie battery angle, overflow bottle etc.

5. I think you will need an engineers cert for rego as the EA never came out with the V8. (You might get it rego'd but conventional insurance companies will probably not even consider insuring it!)

6. V8 will have an LSD and you should swap these as well. (tailshafts will not be compatible due to the flange on the EB being different to the EA).

Having said all this, it is doeable. I once helped a mate build an EB XR8 by doing a shell swap from a crashed XR8 into an EA that had been written off by an engine fire. Worked a treat once done, but was a complete mindfukk to get it done. It was worth it back then cos EB's were still exxy (25-30k) and it cost only about 13.5k to complete, but now not so worth it I think.

I would SERIOUSLY consider NOT doing this conversion.

Cheers,

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA Falcon Hybrid

VIC, Australia

sounds like it a lot of work and not really worth it. so looks like i will have to sell the stuff.

<<<DAN's CARS>>>
* 88 EA Falcon X2
* 81 FJ40
* 73 KE26 X2
* 73 KE20 x2
* 69 KE10 X2
and more

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

uglybob wrote:
rego may be an issue as the EA's never came fitted with a V8 - can anyone else confirm this? :?

yep you will have to get an engineers cert for it as the ea's never came out with a V8. obviously with enough time and money it can be done but set a side an extra $600 for the engieneers cert.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]