Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EB XR8 - Steering rack question
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Hey fellow ford modders....

Been doing a bit of searching for this answer i'm looking for, but can't find it.

Steering racks - 6cylinder ED & V8 EB - do they differ or are they the same rack - just different steel power steering hoses?

I've got a buggered v8 rack here in a EB s1 XR8 and was wondering if i can swap in my spare 6cyl rack or not, what's the go?

I have worked out the 6cyl radiator works, altho the v8 apparently has more fins in the core than the 6cyl. With thermo fans i don't think it will any issue.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Post subject: Re: EB XR8 - Steering rack question
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Doesn't anyone know?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Just Street Perfomance

SA, Australia

Don't quote me on this its has been along time since ive changed the rack, but i think the only difference was variable rack which was the fairlane ghia stuff was different. Finger light steering or not and the racks was interchangeble bettween 6 & 8?

Look for pressure switch on the rack i think that was the only difference? look at the pipe angles too!

Just Street Performance

Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/DR327VK

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

DR327VK wrote:
Don't quote me on this its has been along time since ive changed the rack, but i think the only difference was variable rack which was the fairlane ghia stuff was different. Finger light steering or not and the racks was interchangeble bettween 6 & 8?

Look for pressure switch on the rack i think that was the only difference? look at the pipe angles too!

After a lot of digging around it would seem the racks are the same except i think the V8 doesn't have the idle up switch on it. I've gotta get under & have a good look at the racks to compare. I know the pipes are different, and that's no issue as i have 1 set of each, 6 & 8. I was just hoping to use the rack out of my ED 6cyl to fix the Xr8's busted rack.....

Thanks for the help dude.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
DR327VK wrote:

After a lot of digging around it would seem the racks are the same except i think the V8 doesn't have the idle up switch on it. I've gotta get under & have a good look at the racks to compare. I know the pipes are different, and that's no issue as i have 1 set of each, 6 & 8. I was just hoping to use the rack out of my ED 6cyl to fix the Xr8's busted rack.....

Thanks for the help dude.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

You can use an I6 rack in a V8, they just have the pressure switch in the 6, not the V8.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

My understanding is that the racks ARE DIFFERENT. I believe the high and low pressure hoses enter the rack from a different location/direction to provide clearance for the headers.

A quick inspection of both rack types would verify this.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

BenJ wrote:
My understanding is that the racks ARE DIFFERENT. I believe the high and low pressure hoses enter the rack from a different location/direction to provide clearance for the headers.

Cheers
BenJ

That's what i've been told, but i've also been told & read that they will fit & work. As per 67RCE's comment. The car has extractors in it that gives a little more clearance around the rack, so i might be ok. Was hoping to get the anser before having to pull both racks out of the cars. Not a job i really love to do! Ah well, I'll be pulling the racks out soon, worst case I'll have to pull the rack from the other Xr8 to get the white one thru rwc. Red one won't need it's rack for a while yet.

67RCE -> I take it you have to leave the switch in or does the v8 rack have a blanking plug/plate i can fit onto the 6cyl rack?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
BenJ wrote:

Cheers
BenJ

That's what i've been told, but i've also been told & read that they will fit & work. As per 67RCE's comment. The car has extractors in it that gives a little more clearance around the rack, so i might be ok. Was hoping to get the anser before having to pull both racks out of the cars. Not a job i really love to do! Ah well, I'll be pulling the racks out soon, worst case I'll have to pull the rack from the other Xr8 to get the white one thru rwc. Red one won't need it's rack for a while yet.

67RCE -> I take it you have to leave the switch in or does the v8 rack have a blanking plug/plate i can fit onto the 6cyl rack?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Switch stays in but doesn't get connected. My old ED XR6 had a modified V8 rack in it without the switch, so they do go the other way

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Switch stays in but doesn't get connected. My old ED XR6 had a modified V8 rack in it without the switch, so they do go the other way

Brilliant news. Thanks for that. I'll be swapping the rack from the ED 6cyl into the EB very soon. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
67RCE wrote:

Brilliant news. Thanks for that. I'll be swapping the rack from the ED 6cyl into the EB very soon. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy

keep us up to date on how you go mate, a couple pics to show any differences wouldnt hurt either

cheers

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

jaysway wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
67RCE wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

keep us up to date on how you go mate, a couple pics to show any differences wouldnt hurt either

cheers

I plan on taking some pics, just so anyone else that asks will have photo evidence one way or the other lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Here is the evidence - pics of the racks. 6cyl has the switch in it. v8 doesn't.

They are the same aside the switch. After being under the Xr8, i'm not sure if the switch will clear the extractors or not, so i'm going to remove it & plug it up. I have something that will plug the hole, so i should be right.

I've not long pulled the v8 one out, had to cut down a 19mm spanner to get the power steer lines undone. :( I'll have to go buy a spanner tomorrow, it's a size i seem to use a lot. Time to grab a quick bite to eat & then remove the 6cyl switch, plug it up & refit the rack.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Attachments:
File comment: 2nd pic racks.
P1010007.JPG
P1010007.JPG [ 405.89 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]
File comment: Racks......
P1010006.JPG
P1010006.JPG [ 408.96 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ED GLi

QLD, Australia

by the looks of the rack head you may find the steering heavier but looks like it may fit. Hope you didnt go to all this trouble just over the rack boot!

and on the eighth day God created the Falcon

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

falcon hell wrote:
by the looks of the rack head you may find the steering heavier but looks like it may fit. Hope you didnt go to all this trouble just over the rack boot!

If it's a bit heavier i don't really care atm, car only has std 205's on it, and i'm saving a lot on a v8 rack.

Take a look at the left end on the v8 rack, it's BENT. Worse than it looks in the photos. :(

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ED GLi

QLD, Australia

yeah i see the bend now you point it out. Let us know the difference.

and on the eighth day God created the Falcon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next