Fordmods Logo

ED missfiring 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: ED missfiring
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

The 5.0 in my ED has developed a very bad missfire. At first I thought it needed new spark plug leads since the lead going to no 8 (I think? drivers side bank closest to the firewall) has melted the plastic a bit on the exhaust headers. However, I just checked it by systematically pulling each lead off the dizzy while it was running to listen to the difference it made. Removing half of them didn't make it worse, while the rest made almost die.

Am I correct in thinking the dizzy has died? Help me, I'm getting fed up of this car, lol. I can't keep pretending running on 5 cylinders or so is a lumpy cam forever :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, plugs and leads are both fairly new, <2000km. Car has 255k's all up, and its dual fuel if it makes a difference.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU S2 XR8

WA, Australia

did u check the contacts inside the dizzy? prob next easiest thing to do.

mmmmmmmmmmm 220 manual goodness!

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:12 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Which half did you remove?

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Removed all of them.. half of them made it worse, the other half made no difference. What am I looking for inside the dizzy, just dirt and crap?

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The "half making it worse" - will be the two next/before in firing order (2 misses in a row isnt nice), and the one that is missfiring.

Your probably looking at leads - I had the same problem in my EB TE50, and the leads just werent up to the job. The problem in mine was GT40P heads with E7 extractors - the spark plug just about aimed the leads at the headers and so they melted.

Have you taken a look at night / in the dark? ? - If you can hear a ticking noise (Its likely to be spark jumping gaps), or see sparks then you have problems.

Nigel

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Here's a picture of the lead in question. I was just going to replace them but the fact that it seems to be not running on more then one cylinder made me wonder. Guess it's probably a good idea to replace it anyway though.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:58 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

fnp wrote:
Removed all of them.. half of them made it worse, the other half made no difference. What am I looking for inside the dizzy, just dirt and crap?

Don't tell me the same thing again. I asked WHICH half? EG; what cylinders did you remove the leads from?

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Replace the rotor and dizzy cap if you don't know their age - it's not uncommon to have spark tracking inside the cap.
If the hall effect sensor and metal vanes inside the dizzy look dirty, carefully clean them with metho or similar.
Normally misfires are ignition related - rotor/dizzy cap/leads/plugs - see if you can swap these progressively from another EB/ED/EF/EL V8.

It may possibly be injectors, but running on LPG and comparing to petrol, can determine whether this is the case.

Check for fault codes also perhaps.
You can do a cylinder balance test on the EEC V V8's (EF/EL), but I don't think you can on the EEC IV's (EB/ED), someone will clarify this.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:06 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Yep EECIV has cyl balance test.

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ok. Its missing on 4, 5 and 6 as far as I can tell. Checked inside the dizzy and it all looks ok, no dirt or gunk or anything on the contact points. I don't think its injectors, the night before it was running fine on petrol and gas.

All the plugs seem to be a bit dirtier then I expected however.. I got some new leads already but I think I'll get some plugs too. Since the car is on LPG should I be running different plugs to standard? And what gap if so?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]