Fordmods Logo

ED / NC 5L into XF van... help plz 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ED / NC 5L into XF van... help plz
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XE Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

hi there everyone, new to this site... and liking it! currently undertaking project to retrofit an ED / NC 5L into my xf van. the motor has smartlock, so i am currently trying to bypass that the easiest way possible. was wondering who might have done a simular project and may be able to assist at all.
To get the van through nsw engineers i'm leaving it stock but intend to modify once complete. i have an au 3 motor and box but it is incomplete (hence not using it for conversion) it has the throttle body, heads and most of the main bits there and i was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what bits are worth interchanging to the ed / nc motor

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:06 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Hi Riddo,

Check out my post at the top of the forum about 351w into XE...most of this still applies to a 5.0 conversion. The AU 5.0 will also fit but you'll have header/spark plug clearance probs(not insurmountable) with the explorer GT40p heads they have. You will have slight problems with heater pipe clearance on the firewall...also easy fixed.
Use XR-up type pacemaker tri-y headers. Are you still using the BTR auto?
Smartlock can be bypassed using a module from 66coupe or if supported I can supply a TwEECer which will allow you to turn smartlock off.
The Smartshield on the AU EEC can also be disabled via a reflash or I may soon have TwEECer support enabled for some AU EEC's which will allow you to turn it off too.

Pete.

Post subject: smartlock
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC UTE

NSW, Australia

Hey pete,
Do you use pre smartlock software, A9L software or a modified bin to suit the post smartlock EEC?

I'm not sure but is smartlock mostly software?

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:32 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

You will have to get custm made headers. The Pacemakers for the 5.0l will foul the steering box on the XF (NC has rack/pinion). I had Liverpool Exhaust in sydney do mine. The started with a set of hurricane headers (was the best clost-to fit) and re-did 1 pipe from each side. worked out alot cheaper than having a full set custom made. Ul probly find the exhaust will be ur biggest cost!!

Also, u will have to make (or have made) a custom crossmember for Box. The stck XF mounts sit too mar forward. Mine bolts into my rails and sits about 6" rear of where stock woulda been. Tailshaft sould JUST fit!

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:26 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Tri-Y Pacemakers for 302w XR-XE will fit without hitting the steering box. 4 into 1 type headers will not but you don't want them anyway.
XCmuz; No I have the data location for smartlock. It's just a software switch... 1 = on, 0 = off. A9L code does not allow for immobilisation and also cannot be used in Oz EEC's because the strategy is slightly different.

Pete.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
You will have slight problems with heater pipe clearance on the firewall...also easy fixed.

Pete I have seen a stock late carby 5.0L fitted to a XF ute and the heater pipes cleared (never going to happen with a Cleveland), is the issue with the EFI intake?

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:21 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Yeah depends on the rocker covers really...the engines Ive been involved in all had taller covers than stock. Not such a big deal but I thought Id mention it.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:01 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

thanks heaps guys, i'm trying to get round to doing this project and getting on here as much as i can but that whole work thing is getting in the way a bit.... i have just got one of those smartlock bypass modules off ebay to try and get me past the engineers inspection so then i can upgrade to aftermarket ecu.... is it also true that i will have to relocate the a/c compressor or notch out the strut tower??

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:25 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

RIDDO wrote:
thanks heaps guys, i'm trying to get round to doing this project and getting on here as much as i can but that whole work thing is getting in the way a bit.... i have just got one of those smartlock bypass modules off ebay to try and get me past the engineers inspection so then i can upgrade to aftermarket ecu.... is it also true that i will have to relocate the a/c compressor or notch out the strut tower??

I'd say "downgrade" to aftermarket ecu...
You may have to grind a smidge off part of the A/C compressor but that should be about it because you only have a small deck height.

Pete.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:40 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

well im open to all ideas, so which ecu would i go for? and how do you get rid of the smartlock completely?

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:31 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

RIDDO wrote:
well im open to all ideas, so which ecu would i go for? and how do you get rid of the smartlock completely?

Ok lets start by getting the catch codes off both the EEC's you have there?
Read the 4 character code on the white label on the EEC.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:31 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

sorry i haven't got back to you guys quicker have been away all week working.
the white label on the ecu says:
EEC-IV SF1-MA15
91DA-12A650-JC
62SM15AF12 46468-28 2L20

also has 1DJC in large writing on it

Post subject: 1DJC
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC UTE

NSW, Australia

XR9 do you have this catch code?

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:19 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Don't have a 1DJC binary at my disposal. I think I have a 1DJB which is likely identical...I'll check tonight when I get home.

Pete.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Tri-Y Pacemakers for 302w XR-XE will fit without hitting the steering box. 4 into 1 type headers will not but you don't want them anyway.
XCmuz; No I have the data location for smartlock. It's just a software switch... 1 = on, 0 = off. A9L code does not allow for immobilisation and also cannot be used in Oz EEC's because the strategy is slightly different.

Pete.

For the driver side - true, but the 5.0L have starter motors on passenger side, unlike the older windsors. Those headers will hit the starter

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next