Fordmods Logo

ED sprint motor, any good? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: ED sprint motor, any good?
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb 's' and '67 xr fairmont

VIC, Australia

i have the option of buying a ED sprint motor, it has about 80 thou kms on it and runs and goes quite weel, buts heres the twist............ it has a edelbrock torker manifold and 650dp on top. i can get this engine complete with extractors for about 1700 bucks, do you guys think i would be better of starting with this and adding a cam and mabey a different manifold, or do a full rebuild on my stock 302 with 2 barrel carb and cast exhaust manifolds? what sort of power would i expect with a decent cam upgrade? im looking for a sweet cruiser that will have a stab at a 13 sec quarter. any info would be great am im new to the performance V8 thing

Thanks in advance.

05 BA futura wagon, dumped, 19s, limo tint ( now the wifes car!

BA XLS ute 3V V8 manual, paceys, CAI and underdrives, good work car!

67 XR fairmont factory V8currently in pieces undergoing full resto one day will make a sweet cruiser!

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

My $0.02:

The Sprint is a decent starting point... However throw the Torker away and get a Performer RPM Air Gap, its a much better all round manifold.

Any cam upgrade should also include a new set of springs, and they'll need to suit the new cam.

It may be possible to get a 13 out of it, but honestly you'll need to have everything (engine, trans, suspension etc) spot on to achieve it.

To achieve easy 13s you'll be replacing a lot/most components in both engines, so really it comes down to finances. The advantage of the ED engine is its newer and runs a hydraulic roller cam.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb 's' and '67 xr fairmont

VIC, Australia

thaknks for that ive been leaning towards the ed motor for that reason and the fack it is a virgin block and the gt40 haeds, threr alot better than my stock haeds, that alone should save me in getting heads for my old windsor, thanks mate

05 BA futura wagon, dumped, 19s, limo tint ( now the wifes car!

BA XLS ute 3V V8 manual, paceys, CAI and underdrives, good work car!

67 XR fairmont factory V8currently in pieces undergoing full resto one day will make a sweet cruiser!

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:27 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Unfortunately the engine has been de-valued considerably by the loss of the Cobra intake/24lb injectors and 65mm t-body. All your left with is the GT40 heads and roller rockers and, whilst these can be ported to achieve good performance the cost is not really worth it. I'd be looking at crate engines(Ford racing,World etc) especially with the excellent aussie dollar at the mo.
As for the rest...what the bottle man said.

Cheers,
Pete.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]