Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Manifold #3821 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Manifold #3821
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:14 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

WA, Australia

In the end -
I welded a -12 fitting on the front of each rocker cover & ran the hoses to the after filter side of the airbox to provide more ventilation into the system.
Blocked off the PCV in the Lower manifold. Redirected the hose from the upper thru an inline PCV to the hose nipple located on the oil filler tube. PCV is from real early model Corolla - late 70's I think ( Fuel Miser part# PCV013).

And after 2 years - that's that!

Richie

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Just have to clean the MAF every once in a while since oil will be getting on it..

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:27 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Am running a MAFless system using Motec M800.
I would have thought that the hoses to the airbox suck in air to ventilate the crankcase. The vacuum provided by the manifold.

Has anyone done water injection with this manifold?

Richie.

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:26 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

An update!
All the discussed worked with varying results.

In the end used this catch can
http://www.shop.hms-store.com/product.s ... ductId=528 plumbed in line with stock system. Only change is I rerouted the breather tube from oil filler neck to airbox instead of TB.

Works an absolute treat & only have the thinest of oil films in the manifold.
Not cheap, but hey it works!

Richie.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: '03 BA-LTD.

VIC, Australia

richie wrote:
An update!
All the discussed worked with varying results.

In the end used this catch can
http://www.shop.hms-store.com/product.s ... ductId=528 plumbed in line with stock system. Only change is I rerouted the breather tube from oil filler neck to airbox instead of TB.

Works an absolute treat & only have the thinest of oil films in the manifold.
Not cheap, but hey it works!

Richie.

got any pic's of the work done ? (i've got one of these going on soon).

cheers steve.k.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Whats the point where you can say blow-by is excessive enough in a manifold to effect perfromance?. I had a look the other day in mine through the t/b and the manifold does have a bit of oil in it. My car does loose a bit of power after being in operating range for over 5 mins. Just thinking if it could be oil heating up in the manifold and leaking down into the heads?.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:53 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The biggest killer of octane (hence HP) is oil - ideally it would be great to get rid of it all together - but depending on your setup & condition of the engine, it may not be possible. At least you can minimize it.
Manifolds like the Edelbrock Performer 5.0 have long runners & hence high air speed (for torque) - consequently high vacuum leading to suck oil vapour. Also the oily residue sicks to back of the intake valves etc etc.
Also the the type & quality of oil has an impact - how easily does it foam & what are the shear properties (at what point does it want to turn to mist/vapour).
I use penrite Sin10 (10w70) - but may experiment with others.
Issues such as ring flutter can impact as well.

There are 2 components to deal with - the blowby gases & the oil vapour mist that is suspended in these gases. This suspension occurs when heated oil is picked up as it gets trashed around in the sump etc.
What we are trying to do is separate out the oil mist.
The HMS setup works as follows - With vacuum applied, as the vapour passes through the stainless filter in the can it slows & cools and drops out the oil into the resevoir. The undercuts on the inside walls of the can prevent the oil being sucked up the sides & then into the manifold.
All that really gets thru to the manifold is the real blowby gas.
A number of mustangs have added another PCV to the rocker cover opposite the filler tube & 'T' this into the PCV line from rear of lower manifold.

I simply plumbed 3/8 hose from PCV to top of the HMS oil/vapour separator & vacuum from manifold to side of can. Temporarily cable tied to battery hold down rod. Leave the tube from oil filler neck to TB in place.

It's taken a long time - but so far I am happy with the results.

Richie.
Attachment:
CatchcaninsideLrg.jpg
CatchcaninsideLrg.jpg [ 24.53 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]

Attachments:
Catchcanredlrg.jpg
Catchcanredlrg.jpg [ 18.59 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2