edelbrock RPM heads & piston choice 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: edelbrock RPM heads & piston choice
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Fairlane G220

SA, Australia

Hey guys

Ive decided to bite the bullet and go a faster route with getting my XP project on the road. I'm buying a DC LTD with a 5.0 in it with the following below specs to transplant into the XP

Pro Products Typhoon intake with phonelix spacer
Crane 2030 camshaft
home ported E7 heads
genie extractors
65mm tb
70mm Pro-M maf
FMS underdrive pullies

It made 150rwkw at a recent dyno day, and I was planning on dropping my Edelbrock RPM #60259 heads on it to give it some more Kick.

However, my heads have 2.02" intake valves, the factory pistons inside the engine already have reliefs, but are they enough to take the 2.02 valves?

If not, what is a decent cheap hypereutectic piston to throw in quickly that will handle the lift and the valve size?

I was thinking maybe these specific Speed Pro Pistons
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...iew=1&N=700+150

Is this a good choice? And before anyone says buy forged pistons...no. I cant justify the expense for a car that wont see mega HP ever.

I figured I would also do all the rod and crank bearings while I had it apart, wont do any harm.

Like a $100 note in the middle of a garbage truck. If you can get it its great but is it REALLY worth it some times?

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Get the pistons notched in the car. Mine were and i am running 2.08 intake and 1.6 exhaust with 1.72 rr
It can be done and they take it quite easily.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1967 ZA Fairlane

SA, Australia

Maaaate! Don't want to ''rain on your parade'' Dave, but being a late model engine all of the pollution equipment has to be fitted to be a transport s.a. approved modification (legal registration) the only way around it would be to run straight lpg. I think they even restrict engine mods (inlet manifold/cam) mods on the late model motors as well. Check the transport s.a. website for the official game rules. Cheers Mike.

20'' 100 Spokes

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR8(EF) & XR8BOSS290 Ute(FG)

NSW, Australia

As long as all your gear is 50 state legal US, which I think the heads and cam you are talking about are (check their web sites for California EO numbers), you should be right.

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

ZEDAYE wrote:
Maaaate! Don't want to ''rain on your parade'' Dave, but being a late model engine all of the pollution equipment has to be fitted to be a transport s.a. approved modification (legal registration) the only way around it would be to run straight lpg. I think they even restrict engine mods (inlet manifold/cam) mods on the late model motors as well. Check the transport s.a. website for the official game rules. Cheers Mike.

Yeah i know it has to be compliant Mike, and it will be, it will have all the E7's and such fitted when it goes through regency. It will even have catalytic converters and all the sensors and MAF intact so no hassles there. I might have to build a custom upper manifold for it to fit between the shock tower braces, but I'll clear that with them before I do so.

Ill be doing the edelbrock heads later in the game, i just want it on the road for now.

Like a $100 note in the middle of a garbage truck. If you can get it its great but is it REALLY worth it some times?

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1967 ZA Fairlane

SA, Australia

There is another way around the rego hassle, you could reco the early 289 block you have then fit all the late top end to it. Put it together as a 347 stroker! The extra cubes would go very well in the XP.

20'' 100 Spokes

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

ZEDAYE wrote:
There is another way around the rego hassle, you could reco the early 289 block you have then fit all the late top end to it. Put it together as a 347 stroker! The extra cubes would go very well in the XP.

another possibility true, but i cant afford to go stroker at the moment. Im not sure if the 1968 302 block I have is true as when I stripped it I removed 8 smashed pistons. Getting the LTD however provides an entire cars worth of odds and ends I havent even thought about yet that I can slot into the XP.

Really its not that much hassle to fit the later block, means I get a roller cam for a start, all the pollution gear is there to fit, and the engine makes 150rwkw which will be fine for a light car like an XP until I get the edelbrock heads on. Also means I get EFI to keep it relatively economical and easy to start.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]