EF fairmont V8 stuck lifter? HELP 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EF fairmont V8 stuck lifter? HELP
Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

Hey guys

im looking at buying a a ford fairmont V8 but it done a lifter you can here the lifter tickering away when it idels when first start then after u rev it. u here the sound then it fades away

U guys agree it a lifter?
if so shouldn't be hard to find right?

All id have to do is pull tapper cover off and remove both push rod on a cyclinder and unplug the injectors and start car up and see it it makes the sound if not it either the intake or exhaust.

is the right way to find it or not
Thx

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

Anyone got an idea what the sound might be????

ill be going to look at it today and ill record the car and give ya a better idea of the sound

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

My mate had a lifter s**t it self in his 5.0L & it cost him 3K but the motor goes harder then ever now.
It sounds ruf as and clunking noises from the rocket cover & it was the right side on my mates car.

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yes it does sound like a sticky lifter, check the tappet cover for grunge, if so you might be in luck as the lifters maybe full of muck due to poor maintenance.
You could first try Wynn's engine flush (Engine running at idle for about 15 mins), or similar, but I have had a little bit of success with Wynn's. Then run a quality mild diesel engine oil (Castrol RX Super etc), it might not fix it straight away, or even at all but you don't have anything to loose other than the $10 for the flush.

Next bigger step because of the price of the lifters is to remove the lifter, disassemble and clean them, (LOL man I haven't done that since first year of TAFE) but that requires removing tappet covers, rockers and intake etc, definitely not a 5 minute job.

Next better way is fitting new lifters, but I will leave someone else to state how expensive those are, and trying to locate the dodgy one can be very hit and miss.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

I had the same issue. I got all of the lifters replaced in my clevo for $120 bux labor and $96 for parts ($6 for each lifter from repco). This included fitting a new intake manifold, carby, gaskets, accelerator cable brackets and tuning. I have a feeling I got a good deal, the mechanic seemed really excited to be working on an old falcon. No more noise now and goes a lot harder.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Check the oil in the car. If its thick and really low, then you know the car has not been maintained well.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]