Fordmods Logo

EF V8 Fairmont Ghia loss of power *UPDATE* 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: EF V8 Fairmont Ghia loss of power *UPDATE*
Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hey, took the V8 for another drive today, heres what happened:

First 15 minutes of driving round the streets the car ran hard, smooth, and with no problems, and actually launched like a V8 should

After it got hot after about 20 minutes, that's when I noticed a power loss, such that when you're doing about 40km/h in 1st gear and you plant it it starts going faster but very smoothly and slowly, as if you haven't given it full throttle but more like 3/4. Then when it changes into 2nd (very harshly) it starts pulling. No other factors were taken into consideration, no funny noises or anything from the motor, still ran smooth, but slow. But when cold it's pretty quick.

What do you guys think

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

is the exhaust stock. are the 'cats' original. maybe get it checked out. the 'cats' may be stuffed, choking up the system. quite often they break up and go through and damage mufflers as well.

not real sure why its different when cold. though. sorry i can't be of more help

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

I had a problem similar in my vr commy several years ago.

It ran fine when cold and after about 20-30 mins of driving it went rough as if it were running on five. I took it to my mechanic and it turned out to be one of the coil packs. Apparently it was a break in there and when it got warmer the break expanded enough to not allow the spark to jump across.

Hope that helps but it could be alot of other things as well.
Good luck.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

An electrical problem would sound about right, as at higher temps, cables have a lot more resistance stopping the current from flowing, so if something in that sort of area (coil pack, leads) isn't looking healthy that could perhaps explain why its running average.
The whole first gear then changing to 2nd and its fine part is still puzzling...

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

An electrical problem would sound about right, as at higher temps, cables have a lot more resistance stopping the current from flowing, so if something in that sort of area (coil pack, leads) isn't looking healthy that could perhaps explain why its running average.
The whole first gear then changing to 2nd and its fine part is still puzzling...

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yeah I know.... well I haven't really opened it up in 2nd to find out (not enough road) But anywhere I'm curious to know where the auto dipstick is on it

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Humm.. Is the Auto slipping or is it reluctant to change up or down gears and when it does is it a clunky or harsh change?

When was the fluid or filter last changed if ever?

Ford Australia ditched the Dipsticks on the Auto’s a wile back, cant for the life of me figure out why, I have one on my explorer (At least the yanks get some stuff right) it’s brilliant easy to check the level and colour of the fluid, makes flushing the trannie fluid a breeze as well.

“40km/h in 1st gear and you plant it, it starts going faster but very smoothly and slowly, as if you haven't given it full throttle but more like ¾â€￾.>
When you do this are the revs climbing but the car is just not accelerating as fast as it should> If yes I will put my money on a trannie or toque converter issue.

Cheers.

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

check ecu temp sensor, if it's sending a signal that it's cold all the time, it'll run fine while warming up, but when it gets hot it'll run super rich.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Post subject: Re: EF V8 Fairmont Ghia loss of power *UPDATE*
Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL V8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

hessam69 wrote:
Then when it changes into 2nd (very harshly) it starts pulling.

sounds like S5 playing up when hot.

can't aFORD lately

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Interesting.. what's S5? Sorry this is my first ford. And how do I check the fluid level without a dipstick?

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:49 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL V8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

hessam69 wrote:
Interesting.. what's S5? Sorry this is my first ford. And how do I check the fluid level without a dipstick?

S5 is one of the transmission solenoid responsible for regulating the up-shift feel. However, you mentioned that it goes slow on 1st gear then suddenly pulls if it changes to 2nd. My questions is are you sure it changes to 2nd? or jumps to 4th?, does it change any further if it changes to 2nd?

can't aFORD lately

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: eb drag car

SA, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
check ecu temp sensor, if it's sending a signal that it's cold all the time, it'll run fine while warming up, but when it gets hot it'll run super rich.

eec 4 eec 5 computers run 11-1 fuel ratios at full throttle mainly to give a cooling efect to the pistons/ exhaust valve, if the coolant temp sender is dodgy you will get poor performance at WOT your average fuel ecomomy should be down to. :D

its all fun untill you kick a rod!

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yeah that's what it sounds like.. runs fast when cold but once it warms up I can run faster than it at WOT

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]