Fordmods Logo

ef windsor back fires and surges under load 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ef windsor back fires and surges under load
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

off the line the car has very little acceleration between idle and about 2500 rpm then it storms up to 3500ish revs and shifts up, this is under moderate and full throttle acceleration. when rolling acceleration is required, things get messy, mostly it will stay in fourth and try to pull, when it does decide to kick down after much delay, the shift is very rough and the engine revs hard but it feels like it is reving in neutral, other times it will surge power on and off often backfiring.
i always drive the car with the economy swith on, if it is out of econ mode gear shifts get real rough.

is my gearbox on its last legs? it's done 250 000

econ light on the dash stopped working, it's probably just a globe.

any ideas would be much appreciated

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

Maybe ur tranny ecu is in limp mode. disconnect battery to reset ecu. see what happens.

u havent played with ur dizzy timing have u? if u have id be setting that back to specs with timing light (if u have dizzy that is)

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Check plugs , leads, cap etc..
Then check maf meter...
Then check for any air leaks between maf and throttle body...Which will be unmetered air ..
Make your engine run lean...
Any inelt leaks ??
Check fuel pump, filter or anything to do with fuel supply including fuel reg and vacuum line to it...
Even blocked cat can cause issues similar to this ????

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

Definitely sounds like a fuel pressure issue- I had the same problem a while back.

Change the fuel filter and or get the fuel system checked for pressure AND flow with the correct meter. I traced my problem back to the little grommet inside the tank that connects the pump directly to the outlet line. $2.70 from Ford.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

thanks for all the advice. on saturday i gave it new plugs, leads, coil, distributer cap and fuel filter. and it's gone through a tank of optimax with a nulon injector cleaner. problem remains.

I don't know how to check fuel pressure or maf diagnostics so i'll just have to nurse it for a while to save up for trip to mechanics. all the backfiring can't be good.

Post subject: disconnected MAF
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Disconecting the MAF has liberated the engine. it's revving freely accelerating like it should and most importantly no backfiring and no flat spots. am i going to do any damage leaving the thing disconected?

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

It appears that you have isolated the problem then? As far as I know, disconnecting the MAF allows the engine to run in closed loop mode. Maybe OK for gentle driving but under load and other varying conditions may not allow the ECU to meter the correct fuel mixtures. I don't think you'd want to leave it too long!

I'll let someone with more knowledge on the subject elaborate further. :)

Mike

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'd say your maf is cactus!! Check hot wire inside that black plastic cover?? Don't go to Ford and ask for new maf unless you have taken your medication !!! You may be able to buy one second hand ?? From someone who has upgraded theirengines maf...??? Unless you re hammering it leaving maf off for short time should be o/k...It's obviously not runing right with it connected....
Have you tried to clean it or check its condition ??
Don't touch it just soak in white spirits or brake / throttle body cleaner ...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

thanks again for your advice

I'll try cleaning it tomorrow if it dosn't come good, i'll get one from the wreckers.

I hav been floggin only because it's a joy to feel it rev freely again, but now i know it goes quick, i'll drive it sanely.

i enquired at ford, $1,900 for new maf. service bloke reckons it will be running rich and could cause glazing.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I still have my old maf if you want it, hopefully someone closer will offer but if not the offer is there. Maybe $10 postage or something.

Luke

They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes!

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

jack4.9 wrote:
i enquired at ford, $1,900 for new maf.

F**k! I knew they were pricey, but that is a joke.

Try a Pro-M MAF. One of the board sponsors sells them. Around the $300 mark I believe.

Mike

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII V8S Ute

NT, Australia

!!!!!!!!!!!!!$1,900??? Thats ridiculous! When you can get performance ones for like a fraction of the price you would think they would want to try and sell some....

I've always baulked at FORD prices until last weekend...pulled the dash out of my XF and had to replace an A/C vacuum motor...just $13.00 probably the only sensible priced item I've ever bought from there...

Pacies & single 2.5'. New manifold to come soon...

Post subject: problem solved
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:00 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Cleaned maf using CRC automotive electronic cleaner and a business card to gently scrape away built up rubbish. feels like a different car to drive, gearbox stopped slipping, kick down is good and engine revs freely.

thanks for your offer Luke EF 4.9 it is much appreciated.

FTG Auto Salvage offered me a unit from an EL xr8 for $200 a very good price i thought. i would have bought it if mine was stuffed.

As many people would already know, FTG auto salvage is a top destination for all things ford.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:27 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: F150 EL mont&2001 cobra

QLD, Australia

EF 4.9 wrote:
I still have my old maf if you want it, hopefully someone closer will offer but if not the offer is there. Maybe $10 postage or something.

Luke

It is good to see people on here not motivated by money just here to help.

Smoken the hides in top gear

Post subject: Re: problem solved
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:11 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Power: 138 rwkw

VIC, Australia

jack4.9 wrote:
Cleaned maf using CRC automotive electronic cleaner and a business card to gently scrape away built up rubbish. feels like a different car to drive, gearbox stopped slipping, kick down is good and engine revs freely.

thanks for your offer Luke EF 4.9 it is much appreciated.

FTG Auto Salvage offered me a unit from an EL xr8 for $200 a very good price i thought. i would have bought it if mine was stuffed.

As many people would already know, FTG auto salvage is a top destination for all things ford.

So what happens if you lend your supposedly cactus MAF to your mate and it runs fine in his car? And if I installed one I bought off a bloke and it was cactus in mine and runs good in my mates car as well, does that mean my Maf plug is actually cactus and not the MAF? Problem is the car revs freely as well with the MAF unplugged so it definately knows when the MAF is plugged in as it will have no power regardless of what maf is plugged in.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next