Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EGR eliminator
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

Hi guys,

Where would be the best place to buy an EGR eliminator? I have a 70mm MAF/TB on my EL, and the car is running like crap. I just need a short term solution until I can get enough $$$ to have a custom tune done to eliminate the EGR.

Cheers
Chris

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Post subject: Re: EGR eliminator
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:00 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Why do you think EGR is causing it to run like crap?

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:

It is not the EGR... it is the lack of EGR. I plugged a solenoid off an EGR back onto my loom. Ran a hell of a lot better. No coughing and spluttering at WOT. I would rather have an eliminatior than have to do X,Y and Z to resolve the issue

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

a_total_tool wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

It is not the EGR... it is the lack of EGR. I plugged a solenoid off an EGR back onto my loom. Ran a hell of a lot better. No coughing and spluttering at WOT. I would rather have an eliminatior than have to do X,Y and Z to resolve the issue

Right, so you've already eliminated EGR but you want to turn EGR off in the EEC or trick the EEC into thinking it's still there. If it's just short term until you turn it off in the code just leave the EVP and EVR plugged in.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
a_total_tool wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

Right, so you've already eliminated EGR but you want to turn EGR off in the EEC or trick the EEC into thinking it's still there. If it's just short term until you turn it off in the code just leave the EVP and EVR plugged in.

Correct.

This is how it is at the moment...
Attachment:
File comment: Note the solenoid on the end of the plug
DSC_0109.jpg
DSC_0109.jpg [ 211.18 KiB | Viewed 390 times ]

I just wonted something to look a bit neater. In reality, it will be semi-permanent (other places to spend $$$ at the moment). If it were very temporary, I would leave the solenoid in place until the ECU/Tune were completed. A few other things need to happen to the engine before I have the ECU done.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Here we go ;)

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/94-95-tech/178565-build-your-own-egr-eliminator.html

Allows the ECU to run properly without working EGR - simply tells the ECU that the EGR isnt opening and is at a fixed position.

I get the theory behind them, and most likely until I can afford a J3 will use one (I have 2 sets of 220kw manifolds now - one for my XF, one for my EF)

I think my question from Pete is does the EGR do the same thing on the Aus Falcon as it does on the mustang?

From this page ->
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/790081-egr-simulators.html
Quote:
EVP sensor simulator provides a fixed closed EGR valve value to prevent codes 31/32 and 34/35 to be registered, not allowing the EEC to turn the CEL indicator on (where applicable). It also causes the EEC to delete/bypass the EGR function w/out affecting A/F control and deleting the EGR spark adder function.

EVP Being Exhaust Valve position as is on the EGR Servo.
I also wondered if the ECU can detect that the EGR Solenoid (on the shock tower EB, behind the Washer bottle EF) is missing? - as it can with other solenoids

Nigel

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:12 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Basically you just need some resistors of the same value as the EVP sensor when closed.
The EEC will detect the missing EVR solenoid too...measure it's resistance and fit a resistor of similar value to that...no need to buy those EGR eliminators they are the same thing. You could even use something like a 50k pot on the EVP....that's what I did years ago with my F-series 5.8 Speed density EEC.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

EGR is a dynamic (moving) system. The EVPS can not be replaced by fixed value resistors.

The ecu commands the EVS to send some vacuum to move the EGR valve. If EVPS does not send the correct moving signal (changing resistance) back to the ecu, a fault is logged.

Extend the wires, push them back through the firewall, reconnect the EGR valve to the EVPS and re-plumb the vacuum lines. All hidden & the ecu is happy.

If your IAT sensor is relocated, the adaptive learning temperature window needs to be changed on your chip as well.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:10 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
EGR is a dynamic (moving) system. The EVPS can not be replaced by fixed value resistors.

The ecu commands the EVS to send some vacuum to move the EGR valve. If EVPS does not send the correct moving signal (changing resistance) back to the ecu, a fault is logged.

Extend the wires, push them back through the firewall, reconnect the EGR valve to the EVPS and re-plumb the vacuum lines. All hidden & the ecu is happy.

If your IAT sensor is relocated, the adaptive learning temperature window needs to be changed on your chip as well.

That's right resistors cannot fully replace the system but it works for the time being as it did on my 5.8 and other cars.
Talking about extending wires and vac lines back inside defeats the purpose of a quick fix I reckon.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]