Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: EL GT Modifications
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: SVT Cobra S/C 4.6 4V - 440bhp

VIC, Australia

Hey there, forum,

I am enquiring about bolt on modofocations to the EEC V8's - particularly the EL GT 302 Windsors.

I own an EL GT and would like boost the BHP on this baby. I have built & raced traditional carburettor engines (351's & 350's) with mid 11sec results - easy. But it has been about 10 years since I've played mechanic & my life has progressed so I have lost contact with all my old racing buddies for the last 10-15 years. So I have not played with any of the EEC type motors and need (not want) more BHP.

I've read about chip modifications & spoken with engineers who install these things on BA's & VY's who are experts in the field I guess and they tell me that there's not much that can be done with the EL GT computers (or the E series computers in general). So in my own humble opinion (considering the GT computer is probably peaked out anyway) is that for me it's a waiste of money & time. I don't mind spending the reddies if the results are significantly noticeable but obviously a chip mod is not going to do it for me or most of us motoring enthusiats.

So to give you guys an idea of what the engine has as standard let me briefly share it with you, so I don't waiste your time.

Exhaust - well it is pretty special with Ceramic coated S/S extractors & full S/S exhaust right to the tip - no need to change this as it would probably be a downgrade anyway.

Cam - The GT has a special cam grind which gives it a split personality - I can drive it like an old man & she drives ever so smooth or I can punch this baby and she turns into a liitle monster - so I wish to leave this, as is, and keep its driveability.

Heads - GT40 turbo Swirls are a definite improvement over standard heads, they flow better but could be improved as I think they were a comprimise performance addition.

Intake - GT40 intake (upper & lower) manifold with 65mm & 70mm throttle body & Mass Air Flow Sensor - no significant improvement by changing everything to 70mm.

So the guru's at Ford did a fairly good number on this baby & I shouldn't whinge too much because I can still rip these Holden VY SS's & even our new BA XR6/8's but I'm greedy & I want more (don't we all).

Summary.
I have considered the purchasing the Ford Racing Performance Parts "Z" Alluminium Heads as these flow better & have larger valve diameters than the standard GT40 heads that were released on the GT's (see URL below)
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/pa ... Field=5429

Or maybe a 6psi or 9psi bolt on supercharger (see URL below).
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/ca ... 20Chargers

Question I don't know how the computer will respond to any bolt on modifications let alone the ones I have mentioned.

Your input & assistance will be enormously appreciated as I don't know where to go or who else to speak with.

Thanks in advance & kind regards,
ELGT.

1997 EL GT - (1/240 AU Production Models)
2000 SVT Cobra R - LHD (1/300)
2003 SVT Cobra [10th Anniversary] - LHD (1/242) 330rwkW
2014 Shelby GT500 - LHD 495rwkW______________

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

The Ford V8 EEC computer is an excellent and can deal with a lot of mods before needing any changes. Personally I wouldn't go with the alloy heads, the GT40 heads already on there are enough for around 240-260kw which is close to the limit of a nice streetable 5L anyway.

I would go with a supercharger for a number of reasons. Fistly you will keep the engine standard and if you sell the car you can just unbolt the supercharger kit and its back to stock. Forced induction is a great way of getting good power increases and maintaining drivability. Look at the CAPA kits avilable, they come with everyting needed including a computer chip. The basic kits use a powerdyne blower which can be run at around 9psi max and bolt straight with no need for oil lines etc. The more expensive Vortech units (that is what I have) can run 15+psi but need a bit more installation work due to the oil feed/return lines, but are worth the extra $$$ IMO. The kits are expensive though at $6000-$8000 but come with everyting.

If you want a cheap option, I would just do a cam upgrade. The EL GT cam is better than stock but its still a small cam. There are plenty of aftermarket cams out there that will give you around 40kw improvement on the GT engine. A cam change would be far cheaper, probably around $1000-$1500 installed.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thank you EDXR8.

Can I ask where you had yours installed?

ELGT.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I installed mine myself, takes a good weekend if you have some basic mechanical knowledge. The CAPA kits come with a DIY installation guide which is fairly easy to follow.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Having same engine Id also be looking towards supercharging it if it were legal for my age, i do understand what you mean by keeping the drivablilty of it and this is why i say nothing else but a supercharger as honestly they go well and sound good stock with the kicker of being very smooth and drivable imho!

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

ELGT cam is just the motorsport B303 cam, and is no great power maker, but would work well in a blown application...

Bolt on a blower and hold on. Will amke a bloody nice car so much better. I am seriously considering putting one on my Fairlane By Tickford, which is the ELGT engine anyway...

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

BTW I have seen an EL GT with Powerdyne blower pull 245rwkw which was quite impressive.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:15 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I really do appreciate this forum and ya gotta love it, since it is difficult nowadays to find genuine, honest interest & advice without flashing some cash at least or making some sort of committment. Thank you guys keep the great dialogue coming, y'all know how helpful it is

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Ford Racing Supercharger Kits (URL below), say compared to the CAPA or Vortech solutions that EDXR8 so kindly offered?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/ca ... 20Chargers

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The FMS suprcharged kits are just powerdyne based kits. They will not fit aussie cars because we use different brackets etc. The Powerdyne CAPA kits are basically the same as the FMS but for aussie cars, they also come with a lot more too. As I said, Powerdynes are OK. They can't run high boost and are not that strong (they run an internal kevlar belt instead of the industry standard gear setup) but for normal street use they are quite ok.

The reason I got my blower in the first place was because I got to take a ride in a standard ED XR8 fitted with a Powerdyne. The thing was only putting out 190rwkw but felt so quick compared with N/A setups of similar power.

BTW if you haven't already checked them out, here is the CAPA website: http://www.capa.com.au/kits_ford.htm

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:55 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I've just been surfing the C.A.P.A. website & noticed how similar the FMS & Powerdyne units appear.

An Idea..!!!!
I travel internationally quite regularly for work & occassionally find myself in U.S.A. (twice a year) so I figure that I can pick up an FMS blower unit cheaper there than here & then perhaps purchase the brackets etc., from C.A.P.A. This way I get to escape the usually exhorbitant G.S.T. & Customs Duties.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The blower may be cheaper over in the US but the brackets and pulley system are damn expensive on their own, still it may work out cheaper. Also worth phoning and talking eith the guys from CAPA, they will do basic kits without all the extra's which does bring the cost down. But anyway way you look at it, supercharging is never cheap :lol:

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

there's a guy up here with an ELGT, supercharged anf a f**k HUGE exhaust..... twin 3" IIRC

Banned

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:00 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Tell me more....please.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

lol nobody but the owner knows too much about it, and shame of shames, it's a garage queen.... only gets taken to shows

i'll ask around and see what i can find out

Banned

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Garage Queen....now that is a shame, we reckon these baby's were built to be driven. But having said that mine sits in the grarage on wet days only as it hasn't seen the rain, otherwise it's out & about - not everywhere but everyday I need my fix.

It's a funny thing though, the GT is a sports sedan that is classed with the Clubsport. I've owned a couple of Falcon GT's (an XY & an XA Coupe-RPO83) & have to say the EL GT is by far the most refined & truly a Grand Tourer by all descriptions & although slightly lacking on the performance side of things it handles amazingly well - far better than most cars I've driven. But as these are a rare sight on the road & most don't know a lot about them, other drivers are not quite sure what to make of it, whether to take a shot at it or not. So I'm quite often smiliing ironically to myself behind the steering wheel - you gotta love it, & a blower would just top it off.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next