Page 1 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: EL XR8 finally getting modified
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Took the car to the place thats getting the work done today.

Getting GT40P heads with Yella Terra 1.7 roller rockers fitted along with the camshaft from an AU 220kw XR8.
The upper manifold is being port matched to the lower and the lower manifold being port matched to the heads. EL GT headers will remain and the 3" exhaust will stay.
New Hydraulic lifters being fitted as well but thats pretty much standard practice for a camshaft change.

Next up after this is finding and fitting a new clutch as its slipping bad now.
I'm going for an Xtreme Clutch KHD27001HD kit and I'll also get a new Yella Terra flywheel 9909N standard weight.

After all is done I'm hoping for 170rwkw from the manual and to get into the 14's on the 1/4.
When I get it back this week I'll let you all know how much better it is unless the clutch decides to get worse with the extra power.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

nice, its gonna hammer. Is it the 185kw EL XR8?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yep it sure is. Its got the 3.45 LSD, ELGT headers and Explorer manifold standard.

Now it will have the GT40Ps with the larger valves 1.94" and 1.6" if I remember right and 1.7 roller rockers and the 220kw cam.

The stock pressed rockers are 1.6 so with the slightly bigger cam and the roller rockers should get some good lift.

Can't wait to get it back. Should be ready Wednesday or Thursday.

EL XR8

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Very nice Timmeh. Good to see it all going ahead. I may have to take a detour past there and have a looksie.
I think you'll be pleased with the results from this combo.
Did you get Rollmaster adjustable cam gear so you can dial the cam in? I have heard they perform very well when timed 4deg advanced.

With the f/wheel, you dont want the YT9909N as the N stands for "Neutral Balance". The Windsors need the 50oz imbalance IIRC, which means the YT9909 isthe one you want, thats what both me and my mate with the AU used on ours.

Good luck with it all mate, cant wait to see it pulling some nice 14sec passes :wink:

Will there be more mods after this? Bigger MAF, 24lb's and tune? :wink:

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

YT9909 OK cool. Thanks for that. I didn't know.
No I'm not using an adjustable cam gear. Just want it all stock like the AU engine. All Ford bits. I could do that later if needed.
I was thinking of getting 24lb injectors but don't know what that would achieve on a stock tune. I have a 70mm MAF body here but I think it needs tuning, otherwise I could have A/F ratio issues if I just whack in the stock electronics from mine into that one.
Was thinking of upgrading the ignition as well at some point, but my next task is the clutch and flywheel so I can put some power to ground.
Haven't found anyone yet who sells what I want. Its a pain. Rang 3 places today and no luck.

EL XR8

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yep no worries.
For the price of the rollmaster, $130 odd, i would seriously consider doing it, it will allow the installer to play with piston to valve clearance a bit to maintain a sufficient clearance and can fine tune the cams characteristics, as said im pretty sure i've heard that they are quite a decent cam when timed 4deg advanced. I know "ELGT" will be able to back that up/or correct it. It may not be too late to get one, so it might be worth giving the installer a call andsee what he reckons.
With the larger MAF housing you could do some back to back runs on the dyno with the 55mm then the 70mm and check AFR's between the two. But dont forget to check AFR's in all conditions not just WOT. You may find that the 70mm might be ok and will give you that extra bit of flow.
I do suggest definately going for the 65mm T/B if you can find one. The one i have here is sold pending payment but they usually pop up every now and then, so if ya see one i'd jump on it, you should see anice gain with that.
I probly wouldnt bother with injectors unless you can afford a tune to go with them. Both of them together will see a really nice improvement across the whole rev range.
Ignition is fairly simple with these. Make sure you have decent plugs to start with, then a set of MSD leads and an MSD cap and rotor kit along with an MSD blaster coil should do the job. I also haveone of the BPT dyna-mod ignition modules, dont know wether it made a difference or not as i basically got it for free.
If your definate on that clutch kit i can see if i can source one for you. PM me if your keen :wink:

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

good to see another tough little windsor coming along 8-) get ready for that clutch to lunch its self. are you gona have a run on a dyno when it gets built? if so do as XH5LWEPN said and do back to back runs with the two maf housings, plenty of people have got lucky and had no probs with the larger housing and stock electronics. keep us posted on how the build goes.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Rang the shop about spark plugs and the adjustable cam gear. He already had that sorted. Hes using the Rollmaster adjustable cam gear. He mentioned something about double chain more reliability or something. Also he using platinum or iridium plugs for me too.
I'm really happy with this workshop. Knows his stuff and happy to explain it to you. Hi-tech Cylinder heads in Malaga.
I need my water pump replaced as its about to fail and he is also going to service the radiator. cause it has a bit of leak.
He keeps all the old parts to show you whats wrong. He said cause its going to make more power he doesn't want the cooling to fail. Get everything 100% reliable so there is no need to come back and get stuff done.
I'm happy with that attitude.

I sourced the flywheel from Kostecki Engine Centre today. Paid for it and it should be in tomorrow or Thursday. Just need the clutch kit now.
I'm getting all excited that I want to do the ignition straight away now.

I love my XR8.

EL XR8

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 347

Power: 232 rwkw

WA, Australia

I had work done to my old clevo @ hi tech... good mob those.

347 XR8 Build Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:45 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Good stuff, good to see you've found a workshop that seems to have their heads screwed on right too!
Sounds like it should be a pretty tidy little setup.
Apart from the EL GT headers, I'd be turfing them for aftermarket tri-y's.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well its all finished and I'll pick it up this afternoon.

My radiator is 10% blocked and my power steering is leaking only on startup. Get those things sorted and I should be right.

Can't wait to feel the power difference.

Only cost me $2522 for the work. I think is very reasonable.
So now I can get some new injectors and a better fuel pump to go with the ELGT MAF I scored.

What do you guys reckon it'll pull on a dyno? Its a manual.

EL XR8

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

oh nice, is it gonna be dynod? or down the strip?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Probably a bit of both when I get the other little minor things done.

EL XR8

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Got the car back. Man it sounds a bit tougher and the idle is bit more beefy. Definitely need the clutch done because I can't put power to ground.

Was able to use the standard ignition leads because the ELGT headers don't touch the leads. Didn't have to get a 90 degree lead.

Get clutch done then dyno it.
Feels like it should of left the factory like this instead of those E7s.
Man I love Fords.

EL XR8

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Mate thats great to hear. I bet she does sound alot tougher now. Your right about thats how they should have been coming from factory back in the e-series.

Glad to hear your happy with it already considering your still having clutch problems. Hopefully that clutch will be in mid next week so you can get onto it straight away. Then you can really feel how she goes, and i bet that smile will be even bigger.

Im very interested to see what she'll make on the dyno. Would have to be around the 175rwkw mark. Any ideas where your going to run it up on the dyno at?

STREETBUILT RACING

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next