Fordmods Logo

EL XR8 Manual 'vs' Nissan EXA Turbo 

 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

 
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 2215

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

alternatively you can upgrade your 3.23 to a 3.7 or 3.9 diff instead and get a HUGE difference on your take off to help you out a bit..

call Joe @ crescent motors if your in syd, he can do them fairly cheap..

bang for your buck :P
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 617

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

fuzion wrote:
alternatively you can upgrade your 3.23 to a 3.7 or 3.9 diff instead and get a HUGE difference on your take off to help you out a bit..

call Joe @ crescent motors if your in syd, he can do them fairly cheap..

bang for your buck :P


Cheers mate, i might take you up on that offer!
Ill give him a call when i get a chance.. With a higher ratio diff though, like maybe a 3.7, do you lose any top end power? Or power any else?
Cheers.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 596

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

Location: NEWCASTLE
NSW, Australia

I have found my EL XR8 to be an embarrasment off the line even with the few mods I have and a 3.45lsd ,I find the thing accelerates quicker if I dont use full throttle off the mark & using the box manually.
hold the brake with left foot, watch the other direction of lights (knowing you're turn is next otherwise it can be embarrasing) have you're RPM (right foot of course) at around 1100, now its you're turn hit the throttle to about 3/4 and let the brake off when RPM hits around 2500, at 3000 fully open the throttle and shift into second, keeping throttle full, then into D (try this in both power & economy settings as I find econ to give me the best change, but mine is an ex cop so the shift is much higher than factory, 5100 in econ & 5500 in power which is into the dropoff too much
I believe the trickflow stage 1 cam is the best for the 5.0l that doesn't have too many mods.
I have seen it produce 208kw (280hp) at the treads with AFR 165's ,trickflow street intake and a 75mm throttle body, with 19LB injectors. but not without a set of pacemakers of course!
but even the easy way out by stroking it the heads need work as 310hp is about the limit .

 

_________________

Image
IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 503

Joined: 10th Nov 2004

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NL 347, Landau

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

I find with my car - I need to get the back wheels to spin a little when launching just to get it into it effective rev range. The 3.27 diff doesn't help so I launch hard and blaze the tyres. It works pretty well as some more potent cars have found out (poor little 550000km Fairlane :twisted: )
Shane

 

_________________

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 617

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

MrLandau wrote:
I find with my car - I need to get the back wheels to spin a little when launching just to get it into it effective rev range. The 3.27 diff doesn't help so I launch hard and blaze the tyres. It works pretty well as some more potent cars have found out (poor little 550000km Fairlane :twisted: )
Shane


What diff ratio would u recommend for my car with a manual box?
I think mine currently has a 3.45 ratio, am i right?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 596

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

Location: NEWCASTLE
NSW, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
MrLandau wrote:
I find with my car - I need to get the back wheels to spin a little when launching just to get it into it effective rev range. The 3.27 diff doesn't help so I launch hard and blaze the tyres. It works pretty well as some more potent cars have found out (poor little 550000km Fairlane :twisted: )
Shane


What diff ratio would u recommend for my car with a manual box?
I think mine currently has a 3.45 ratio, am i right?

3.45 -4.11 are pretty good for the town ,even the occasional highway but it depends on the camshaft you plan on installing, you realy want to be cruising within the cam ''sweet spot'' by around 500rpm otherwise it will be boggy down low, & have s**t fuel consumption, nothing makes a good car feel s**t!

 

_________________

Image
IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Sluggish Fords
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 652

Joined: 31st Aug 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Yeah a lot of those nissans are little rockets. My tickford 6 is a slug off the line too, i know how you feel its embarrasing getting your a*** kicked and foot flat and they still pull away.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:07 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names