Fordmods Logo

EL XR8 won't start. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EL XR8 won't start.
Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

before anyone has a whinge at this topic already covered I am on 12 hours shifts working nights and don't have a lot of time to search. Only once been whinged at though.
Anyway; Question time. Does anyone have the starter wiring diagram for my car or know if these have a neutral/park switch or is this done by the range switch?
Was driving the other day, stopped and then went to start and it wouldn't. Moved the t-ar and it started. attery is new and not dragging the volts down when trying to start. Need help, car has been stuck at the pub for the last couple of days and don't want it peed on too many times.

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

Hey there frog! Sorry mate I can't help you with a wiring diagram or anything. But I was just wondering if you have the blue XR8 with the full tickford kit, if so that looks like a nice car mate. Good to see another localish guy joining the site and with an EL XR8 as well! Good luck with your problem mate.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

From your statement that it started when you pushed the T bar, I would guess it is the inhibitor switch attached to the gearbox is playing up, does wiggling the shifter backwards and forwards from the neutral position allow it to start?

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

My EL XR8 is blue but it does not have the full Tickford kit. It is the one with key scratches all the way down the right hand side. Wiggling the shifter to neutral does not allow the car to start.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Can anyone tell me which is the relay for the starter motor in the relay box next to the battery.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Can anyone tell me which is the relay for the starter motor in the relay box next to the battery.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Yes, it does have a start inhibit switch.

The start inhibit switch and the position sensor is in the same package on your gearbox, near the lever connection.

It is common for the gear position sensors to go on these cars, and they are cheap to replace. I haven't heared of the inhibit switch often failing but being that they are the same package, if you replace one you replace them both.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

I think the starter relay is the rear most one near the battery.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

The rear most relay toward the shock tower clicks in and out no matter where the gear selector is so I don't think it is the one.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]