Fordmods Logo

Electrical problems - power flucutation? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Electrical problems - power flucutation?
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont Ghia EB2 V8

New Zealand

I've got a problem with the electrical system in my EB2 Fairmont Ghia V8. The voltage gauge, interior and exterior lights pulsate quite badly.

It is worse when the car is idling and kinda seems to tie in with the engine speed. Could something in the ignition be spiking the power?

I've measured it with my digital multimetre and also a higher quality digital multimetre and they both suggest a voltage fluctuation of only 0.05 volts which hardly seems like a big deal and doesn't really explain the severity of the symptoms. I've measured it at the battery, alternator and interior light socket. The voltmeter in the car jumps around +/- 1 to 2 volts. Is it possible for something other than voltage to cause these symptoms?

So far I've replaced:
- Spark plugs
- Serpentine belt, tensioner and pulleys (they were all well overdue)
- Alternator

I've cleaned:
- MAF
- IACV
- EGR

I've also added another ground lead from the engine to the battery which made no difference.

I'm prepared now to just drop it off at an auto electricians and tell them to call me when it's fixed.

Anyone got any bright ideas before I do that?

Post subject: Re: Electrical problems - power flucutation?
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

I can only think of some sort of bad earth connection.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

x 2 bad earth connection.

My dash / climate control / radio backlights dim on and off in time with the indicator or brake pedal. I'm not too sure how to rectify it myself though.

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

ACT, Australia

tried replacing the charging cable from the alty to the + batt
and check the earthing to the alty too

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

My volt gauge on my eb v8 ticks left and right when the indicators are on :D lucky thats is the only issue it causes.
Sounds like a common theme.

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

There is an earth point for the interior loom which sits underneath the windscreen demister shroud. Undo the two screws and then slide the shroud back and you will see a black lead bolted into the centre of the body. Have a look there too.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
There is an earth point for the interior loom which sits underneath the windscreen demister shroud. Undo the two screws and then slide the shroud back and you will see a black lead bolted into the centre of the body. Have a look there too.

Any idea if the same would apply for a AU?

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ebxr8

VIC, Australia

my eb xr8 does this also, ive takin every earth off and made sure they have good contact. I also put a extra earth from the motor to the body on the passanger side and it still flucurates. id like to know how to fixs this also

347, crane cam, Pro topline 180 heads, Edelbrock victor efi intake, 80mm C&L maf, 75mm tb, 30lb injectors and 1/4 horse

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Well the auto electricians had a look. They told me they've seen this plenty of times on these sorts of cars and that there is no point throwing money away on it. The voltage drop is only very small at every point they measured, same as what I got, a 0.05 volt variance. They had it for a while and ran some other tests but nothing much came up apparently.

Good thing is they didn't charge me anything, as they perform these checks for free :D

Anyway I won't give up but I'm no longer going to put a high priority on it. I'll update this thread if I ever figure it out.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford ba

NSW, Australia

check the earth points
check frm negative battery post to the block with you multi meter should be no more than 300mv if this is ok then check other earth points back to the battery again no more than 300mv i try to get mine to be less than 300mv with the car running and full electrical load like lights wipers etc
more than likely you will have to replace the main earth straps and usually run aseconf earth strap
also the main eath wiring for the ecu if you check it will have 4 wires 2mm each connected together onto one 2mm earth wire cuts this and use 8 or 10mm wire and solderthen to tis then earth it out usually way to much resistance same on the 6 cylinders have seen on the ef eratic idle and eratic misfire caused by these factory earth points once replaced anf a second battery earth has been run usually notice more stable voltage reading and also oil pressure guage will read highre have had on odd occasions oil warning come on when vehicle idling at operating temp check and found nothing wrong with oil pressure just bad eaths
also get the alternator doides checked possible excessive diode ripple causing interference

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

scoprion68 wrote:
check the earth points
check frm negative battery post to the block with you multi meter should be no more than 300mv if this is ok then check other earth points back to the battery again no more than 300mv i try to get mine to be less than 300mv with the car running and full electrical load like lights wipers etc
more than likely you will have to replace the main earth straps and usually run aseconf earth strap
also the main eath wiring for the ecu if you check it will have 4 wires 2mm each connected together onto one 2mm earth wire cuts this and use 8 or 10mm wire and solderthen to tis then earth it out usually way to much resistance same on the 6 cylinders have seen on the ef eratic idle and eratic misfire caused by these factory earth points once replaced anf a second battery earth has been run usually notice more stable voltage reading and also oil pressure guage will read highre have had on odd occasions oil warning come on when vehicle idling at operating temp check and found nothing wrong with oil pressure just bad eaths
also get the alternator doides checked possible excessive diode ripple causing interference

Great ideas, I planned on upgrading the main cables and running another earth to the body (something I do for any car I actually care about). This is the second time I've heard someone mention the ECU earth points, so I'll be sure to try what you have suggested. Should I check for the same sort of thing around the body control module and the transmission control unit?

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:21 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

I got a ED ghia v8 with EL thermo conversion and had simmilar problems. My fans kept on melting my fuses and couldnt understand why (electrition fitted them correctly) Took it back after a while to fix and he said it needs circuit breakers instead of plastic fuses. Since putting them on I have more voltage on my Volts gauge and my car runs smoother and my lights are stronger. The dial doesnt move with my indicators on except if I have Hazards on.

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:49 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB

New Zealand

+ another one. Have this same problem on my EB V8...

1989 EA Falcon column shift - SOLD
1990 EAII, BBM, EL ECU, T5, LSD - SOLD
1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia V8 - SOLD
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

I think I've fixed the problem, I did the following:

- New battery terminals, the kind used for car audio (no lugs required).
- Used contact cleaner to clean the connections in the fusible links.
- Disconnected main earth strap, used sand paper and metal brush to clean up all contact points.

Before I did this, my voltage gauge and lights were noticably unstable all the time, especially when idling. Since I did this work 2 days ago it's been working perfectly the whole time.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ebxr8

VIC, Australia

BorgWarner wrote:
I think I've fixed the problem, I did the following:

- New battery terminals, the kind used for car audio (no lugs required).
- Used contact cleaner to clean the connections in the fusible links.
- Disconnected main earth strap, used sand paper and metal brush to clean up all contact points.

Before I did this, my voltage gauge and lights were noticably unstable all the time, especially when idling. Since I did this work 2 days ago it's been working perfectly the whole time.

fusible links is all the fuses inside under the steering wheel??

347, crane cam, Pro topline 180 heads, Edelbrock victor efi intake, 80mm C&L maf, 75mm tb, 30lb injectors and 1/4 horse

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next