Fordmods Logo

engine rebuild ef v8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: engine rebuild ef v8
Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hi guy's,

I'm new to Fordmods.com, came across the site by googling ford engine rebuilds.

I have a EF Fairmont V8, I bought the car aound 3 years ago at 116,000 on the clock and now has 180,000. Since I've had it it has been a great car and not much spent on repairs just regular sevices also some wheels lowered and all that stuff.

The issue is that recently the oil gauge has showen low oil when theres plenty in the engine and it seems to be using water at a slow pace also has a miss fire and loss of power, with my very little knowledge of engines I have worked out that probably is the head gasket! I have talk to two mechanics both told me this sounds like the case. First guy told me $1500 to fix casket and clean injecters and look at rebuilding heads possibly at an extra cost. second guy seemd like he knew more about fords and said it could be the gasket but also some other things to check first and could be a whole engine out job and would look at rebuilding bottom up !

To get to the point I want to know some ideas and rough expected prices if I get the whole engine rebuilt bottom up and add some extra HP at the same time?

I'm taking it to the second guy this week so he can tell me exactly what he thinks I can do and cost.

I just want to go see him and have a fair idea of what to ask for and expect, If I could get some replys on What are my best options to get max power at the same time as rebuilding the engine for around $5000 it would be a great help.

Some people have said get rid of it, I just can't let the fairmont go it's too good of a ride and the rest of the car is clean.

Sorry for such a long post.........................

I will also update on the out come as I will be getting this done over the next few weeks.

I'll also mention that I have only owned FORD's and that will never change.

Cheers,

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Welcome ..
V8's rarely have head gasket issues..
Check plugs leads and cap..
Check for leaks on all hoses including heater tap..
The small hoses around water pump also..
If no coolant has been in system ?
The front timing cover can corrode through behind water pump..
Check dip stick ? If milky it has water / coolant in it..
Check radiator cap..
Also check EGR , that alloy piece behind throttle body...Sometimes they corrode and coolant leaks into engine..Check those small coolant hoses also..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED EF and AU V8s

WA, Australia

All of them things sound like a good posibility! Have seen welsh plugs corrode out before on these 5.0.

With the oil pressure though you said it has normal pressure when cold then drops to red when normal temp, i had the same prob on my EF fairmont 8 and ended up being the big-end bearings, can you hear a knocking sound, and are the tappets noisey?

Do a compression test first to rule out the head gasket leak!

If ya cant fix the prob with the motor without pulling it apart, would probly suggest tryin to find an AU V8, alot better project to start with, thats what i put in mine!

Too many cars atm

ED sprint
EF Fairmont V8
AU ghia V8

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks EBXR8,

That will give me a few things to check on the weekend!

I'll tell the guy when he looks at it during the week to suss all that out first. I stll was wanting to get a bit more power at the same time so maybe you could suggest some mods if they were not going to open her up ? ( I will put Extractors and exhaust )

I'll should also mention that Water Pump was replaced about a year ago (at fords)and recently had a water pipe split while on the highway and got hot. I have replaced all leads plugs, rotor button and cap, coil, made not much differance. It also has a popping sound out the exhaust when at lights ect. I also remenber Fords told me the engine mount might need some attention one day(that was over a year ago).

Cheers

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:14 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Nicskitz,

The oil drops straight away to red ! beeps at me pretty much as soon as it starts.

whole engine is noisy ! more than I remember when I got it.The power does somtimes pick up late in the gear.

Starting with a AU v8 sounds the goods, how much $$$ do you think this guy could do that for? and could I trade my engine on one?

This is great, So many things I hadn't thought of.

Cheers guy's.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]