Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

fuzion wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:
The cop cars also have a steel tailshaft, to go with no speed limiter...
Quote:

Um incorrect !! Cop cars that I know of had alloy drive shafts..They are 30% stronger!!! Due to alloy being lighter it has less whipple effect...Commercial cars had allloy shafts too..Utes anyway...
It's nothing new my EB l has alloy and is NOT speed limited as std...
I can assure you I have gone faster than the plod in his 220 kw Auto....

Actually, EF Pursuit wether its gli/futura/xr6/xr8 had steel tailshafts.. EL XR's had the alloy tailshafts.

funny, mines alloy...

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
EL XR8 wrote:
Just my opinion, but why would you want to buy a car thats been started up cold and flogged to the s**t hundred of times!
Thats probably the worst thing you could do to a car.
Just my opinion.

Dave

good thing it only your opinion, I have a few mates with normal 8s, be they falcons, fairmonts whatever that they've had from new and treated "with respect" and they have had no end of trouble, my "flogged" ex chaser has never given me a tap of trouble (touch wood) and just keeps on powering (where's that wood again), dunno what your on about start up cold either, I start mine and back out the garge and drive off, no warm up time, that's for old time donks with old time oil.

are engines given a run in after build up these days??

anyway that's not the point, the flogging I reckon your talking about is the one done by some young hoon, that's usually valve bouncing down the street with one wheel smoking thinking he's cool, an ex chaser or fleet car wouldn't even get that type of punishment.

My olds have had a few falcons in the time, from ea-el ... folks always drive there cars like old people do, slow, gentle and with repect .

I had a AU2 brand new of the line, did 150,000 in 3 years, never missed a beat ... Did not give it so much of a RUNNING IN period. give it a boot, not full throttle but rev it a bit ...

I think i've come to the conculsion that if you baby a car from new, you will end up with problems down the track and it will always need babying.... when giving it a bit, Not heaps though, when its new, can create a beast .

just my thoughs on why you can have to stock EF/EL's etc, totally the same weight, both stock, and one will be quicker down the 1/4 or 0-100 time .

Thats just from what I've had ... and I've rebuilt enough motors to know about the runing in period

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Yea I guess that happens ...F*ck man I'm watching the road...

We did the stretch of road alot, I think I did 11 runs, so by that time I was becoming complacent with the speed, and concentrating on trying to get the thing to go quicker. I am amazed at how the car moves on trailing throttle on your way down though, and them brakes....well, needless to say, I have a trophy set of front calipers that are warped, and gave me a wedge shaped brake pad after a days playing....

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
fuzion wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:
The cop cars also have a steel tailshaft, to go with no speed limiter...
Quote:

Um incorrect !! Cop cars that I know of had alloy drive shafts..They are 30% stronger!!! Due to alloy being lighter it has less whipple effect...Commercial cars had allloy shafts too..Utes anyway...
It's nothing new my EB l has alloy and is NOT speed limited as std...
I can assure you I have gone faster than the plod in his 220 kw Auto....

Actually, EF Pursuit wether its gli/futura/xr6/xr8 had steel tailshafts.. EL XR's had the alloy tailshafts.

funny, mines alloy...

Yes I wander if they where fitted to manuals?? As there speed limiter is higher ???On them...???

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

au2low wrote:
znipa-x wrote:
...are engines given a run in after build up these days??...

....just my thoughs on why you can have to stock EF/EL's etc, totally the same weight, both stock, and one will be quicker down the 1/4 or 0-100 time.

I understand that parts used to assemble engines (in volume manufacture) are checked, measured and batched. That way the tollerances for any batch of parts (e.g. conrods, pistons, bearings) can be much better than what the manufacture of the parts can produce (for the required price). The end result is an assembled engine that is as good as it can be for the cost of production and in reality much better than what any low volume engine builders can ever hope to achieve.
This may explain the differances between identical engines, in that any two may be from either end of the high volume engine build spectrum.. This also explains why new engines don't need to be run in anymore although they may be fired up on the production line to ensure they are functioning within required parameters. Also explains why you should run in rebuilt engines :)

Cheers.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2