Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Exhaust for EL XR8
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Righto I've got my heads done so I'm running GT40Ps with 1.7 roller rockers and AU 220kw cam with the Explorer manifold everything port matched.
I'm keeping my EL GT headers on.
What cat back exhaust system would suit me?
I'm after a nice grumbly windsor note, and to get rid of my 3" single system that there is on at the moment.
Would a couple of magnaflow cats with a twin 2 1/4" all the way give me a nice note and a "bit" more power than the single 3"?
I want twin pipes at the back. I have a twin tip now coming from the rear muffler.
Or would the single 3" thats on here at the moment be what I'm after?

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

I've got a single 3" on mine and everyone whose been behind me has commented on how tough it sounds. It's a Lukey Super-something... I think :)

What size are the primaries on the GT headers, just out of curiosity?

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

As for a peak power figure, i'd say the single 3" would give more HP at the top.
However i reccomend i decent twin 2 1/4" system. Full mandrel bent with decent mufflers would be the go. I think this would give the best results all over the rev range, would definately be more torquey with your set-up than the 3". I have this system on my ute, i think i maybe should have went for 2 1/2" pipes but i wanted to stay 2 1/4" to get maximum torque.

At the end of the day you just gotta think what you'd be better off throwing your money at. If you dont really want/need a new exhaust, maybe you'd be better spending the cash on a tune or something :wink:

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

if it were my car id be going the twin 2 1/4inch over the 3inch but since you already have the 3inch (if its in good nic) i prob look at loosing the elgt extractors first and getting a set of pacies. i had elgt extractors, single 2.5 inch mandrel bent with high flow cats and a lukey race series muffler and i had no idea how much the headers were holding me back until i threw a set of ceramic coated pacies on, doesnt feel like it being choked down low anymore. but as XH5LWEPN said, if your exhaust is in good nic you would see better gains from some new injectors and a tune to match your new engine combo but thats just my opinion.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I didn't think the EL GT headers were that bad?
Can you feel a "seat of your pants" difference when you changed to Pacies fromt he EL GT headers?

Which model should I go for so I don't have to change spark plug leads? Mine are not at 90° because they clear the EL GT headers.
I've got GT40Ps too not E7s. TriY is the go too isn't it not 4-1.

EL XR8

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

Timmeh wrote:
I didn't think the EL GT headers were that bad?
Can you feel a "seat of your pants" difference when you changed to Pacies fromt he EL GT headers?

Which model should I go for so I don't have to change spark plug leads? Mine are not at 90° because they clear the EL GT headers.
I've got GT40Ps too not E7s. TriY is the go too isn't it not 4-1.

i didnt think they were that bad either until i changed them. pacies gave me heaps more responce down low and yeah i could feel a huge improvment but that could be due to my engine combo, its built to make its power down low and i think the pacies just complemented that. s**t i didnt think about plug clearance, i have gutted gt40 heads on mine, same plug angle as e7s. as for what model, didnt pacemaker drop the comp series headers so there is only the ph4000 left? but your right that would mean a change in plug boots aswell. tri y is good for low down power and 4-1 (gt style) is better for high reving engines, the pacie ph4000's are a tri y setup.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XB ute, ED mont

WA, Australia

Ive got Advance Headers on mine cleared everything fine, ive got 45dg plug boots though.

ED Fairmont, XR lights, AU tickford 200kw, GT-P 18's, TwEEcer, 230kw, KAAZ LSD.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Yep i believe the Advance headers are the best fit for GT40P headed e-series vehicles.

I went from the EL GT headers to Pacemaker PH4000's and personally i dont think i noticed much of a difference. My mate also went from the PH4000's to EL GT headers and said his actually felt a bit better :? . I honestly think you'd be better spending the cash elsewhere for now and leave the exhaust till last. Afterall its not holding you back any.

But if you really want to spend up on the exhaust i'd go Pacemaker or Advance headers, twin Metal X-Force cats, and a twin 2 1/4" mandrel bent system with x-pipe. Then sell me your ELGT headers :wink:

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

XH5LWEPN wrote:
Yep i believe the Advance headers are the best fit for GT40P headed e-series vehicles.

I went from the EL GT headers to Pacemaker PH4000's and personally i dont think i noticed much of a difference. My mate also went from the PH4000's to EL GT headers and said his actually felt a bit better :? . I honestly think you'd be better spending the cash elsewhere for now and leave the exhaust till last. Afterall its not holding you back any.

But if you really want to spend up on the exhaust i'd go Pacemaker or Advance headers, twin Metal X-Force cats, and a twin 2 1/4" mandrel bent system with x-pipe. Then sell me your ELGT headers :wink:

Send me a PM if you want a set of the ELGT headers and I might be convinced to sell them to you as they are just sitting here as I have just sold my XR8.

Anyway I went with the ceramic coated pacies PH4000s and a twin 2 1/4 inch mandrel bent stainless system with magnaflow cats, x pipe and mufflers and I noticed a heap of difference especially with torque than with a single 3 inch with the EL GTs.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Alright maybe I'll leave it alone and use the money elsewhere.
I am after an MSD ignition.

Consider this thread closed.

EL XR8

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]