Fordmods Logo

Exhaust Upgrade Time!! Update!! Pics and Video Added Page 3. 

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

brad351v8 wrote:
I don't run a balance pipe, had one when i first put it on but i didn't like the sound.(just a personal thing i guess) when i took the balance pipe of, it just seems to have a chrisper sound,i didn't notice any performance or economy diffrence between the two set ups. i run a set of 2.5 inch ofset in and ofset out lucky mufflers they are a straight through set. i have the same set up on my XR8 but the wagon sounds better because the pipes come out the back on diffrent sides. like i said sounds like a 70's v8

Thanks brad, I'm after the sound you describe on your wagon.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:11 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EB xr8,EB faimont wag. v8

QLD, Australia

Let us know when you have this done. you will injoy the noise

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

BuNtEr wrote:
there is a guy on ebay thats doing 3inch sport systems mandrule bent from behind the cat back for $500
been doing a bit of searching on ebay for this system since it's a s**t day. Found a couple of 3" mandrel bent systems, one is a redback so I think I will avoid that one, but I asked the sellers about the fitment of the falcon kit into a lane and he replied that they don't fit and you can't buy bolt on cat back systems for fairlanes :x So it doesn't look like I can save a few dollars by fitting a bolt on myself :cry: Oh well back to getting quotes for a custom setup I suppose :roll:

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ahhhh Bugger that is the draw back on the lanes stuff like that people dont make off the shelf sport systems that you can bolt on yourself.

BANNED

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Update!! I have the cash and now I just have to make my final decision on the set up. I am now leaning towards a lukey setup. I have also since discovered that I have EL GT extractors fitted, so that is a nice bonus.
My current thought is to go with a single 3 inch via lukey hi flow with a hotdog resonator at the rear.
Basically, as the lane is no longer a daily driver, i want this thing to really be a ground thumper, I always get a chill up my spine when a nice 8 goes buy and you can feel the thing through the ground :D
Oh! and did I mention it has to be loud, well, as loud as legally possible anyway :lol:

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Which brings back an old question I never bothered researching - what is the legal db limit for exhaust sound?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I only paid $280 for mine on the EF Ghia 5.0 !

(flexifit exhausts- Hoppers Crossing- great bloke.

Redback system from the Y back, centre straight through muffler, Hot dog at rear...2.5 piping
Sounds pretty good, no droning- and barks when u drop it to the floor.

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

twin 2 1/4 ftw.

2X 2.5 = overkill. good for top end horsepower, loose low end grunt.

size the zorst for where you want the power.

2X 2 1/4 see's good results both top and bottom.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:57 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII V8S Ute

NT, Australia

I believe its in the range of 89-92dB but feel free to correct me. You can buy butterfly valves with holes drilled in them and have them fitted to your exhaust pipe. When closed its quiet and legal...open the valve and it makes a big difference. A good idea if you want a really free flowing exhaust thats quite loud but want it to be legal. European V8's are starting to come out with these factory fitted now and activate when a "sport" button or similar is pressed.

Pacies & single 2.5'. New manifold to come soon...

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

question: how much power does the catback restrict? even aftermarket hi-flow catbacks?

i know its illigal not to have one, but i was just wandering what sort of power it ristricts and how much difference can a good one make into freeing it up..

a dodgey holden scumbag wog at my school is saying hes gonna remove his when he gets his car.. typical...

thats all, thanks

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

actaully from some reading ive been doing a performance cat can on a already full zorst+ stractors increases like 2rwkw on a AU straight 6

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

XHII V8S wrote:
I believe its in the range of 89-92dB but feel free to correct me. You can buy butterfly valves with holes drilled in them and have them fitted to your exhaust pipe. When closed its quiet and legal...open the valve and it makes a big difference. A good idea if you want a really free flowing exhaust thats quite loud but want it to be legal. European V8's are starting to come out with these factory fitted now and activate when a "sport" button or similar is pressed.

I've heard that some Euro manufacturers have that type of muffler that has the spring / valve ( bifurcated metal? ) built inside and when the flow increases to a certain designated rpm, the valve is forced open and the flow takes a different path and the sound output goes nasty. That's opposed to fitting a mechanical valve that you need to manually open.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU S2 XR8

WA, Australia

the new XR8's and Gt's have them, if i remember correctly it comes open at 3500rpm? havent heard them yet but am interested to see wat the change in note would be like....

mmmmmmmmmmm 220 manual goodness!

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

NCIILANE wrote:
i want this thing to really be a ground thumper, I always get a chill up my spine when a nice 8 goes buy and you can feel the thing through the ground :D
Oh! and did I mention it has to be loud, well, as loud as legally possible anyway :lol:

U want it loud and scare every 1 to think u got a V8 Supercar get a 3" pipe off ur y piece straight over the diff then put a 3" off set chambered muffler where ur factory resonator goes, it will just fit in there tight and stick out a little bit from the bottom (most new cars now look at them and u can see the rear muffler protruding down slightly) then make a short length tail pipe out the rear.

U basically have a 3" dumped exhaust out the rear with no dumping of pipes and every knows how dumped exhaust are> heavy and deep sounding.

We tried this on a mates car (EF) at the exhaust shop and f**k me for a stocker with exractors this thing sounded like a full time drag car.

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for all your input and suggestions fella's. I have finally made my decision after spending about 1/2 hr with the installer this arvo. Discussed many options and he took a lot of time to show me actual parts to help in the decision.
Dropping it off tomorrow to be done and should get a much nicer sounding V8 back in a couple of days.
Will be going a twin 2 1/2 setup similar to castlegreyskulls NL :D
Hey! now I can post in the V8 soundfile thread :lol:
Cheers,
Mick

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next