Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: explorer motor hard to get parts
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:40 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Get a dart block with 4.125" bores and a set of pistons which you will know the ring groove sizes on?

:lol:

Nearly, but you've missed something.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i know the ring groove sizes, i posted the ford specs up a couple of posts back.
Ive since found out that the oil pumps are the same back to the xr windsor, i know you guys were right :D but the rings are different.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well that bloody motor got the better of me and i ripped off a main cap and a pulled a piston out.
No real story to tell apart from there is pitting on the crank from coolant sitting in the bearing shell, which had torn the shell apart just from me turning the motor over by hand(kind of expected it) hopefully i can get away with a grind.
Another interesting fact is that there was no gasket on the oil pump(thanks ford, real clever) no wonder windsors rattle when you start them. I have previously read in an article in a ford mag about the no oil pump gasket on injected windsors but had to see it with my own eyes :shock:
Least i wont have any probs getting an oil pump 8-) and a gasket.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

You posted the ring groove WIDTHS above, but it is the varying ring groove DEPTHS that is the tricky issue. If you don't get the right DEPTH rings they will protrude beyond the piston ring lands and you won't be able to fit the pistons into the block. Then you won't be able to take the rings back because you've opened the box and fitted them.

I have never opened an injected 5.0 motor that wasn't fitted with an oil pump gasket, and I've opened lots of injected 5.0's. Engines assembled from 1986 through to 2001. They all had the gasket fitted. That's not to say that one didn't get missed first thing on a Monday morning from time to time, but there is no truth to the "no gasket" rumor.

If there is coolant through your oiling system you need to find the source. To get coolant in there requires a LOT of water to go into your sump while the engine is running (and pumping oil). If you don't find the source you may be wasting your money on rings and bearings. It could be something as simple as a gasket leak, but I've also found corrosion pin holes in timing covers (from not running inhibitor) and cracks in blocks and cylinder heads from overheating.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i have the ford spec page in my hand and it doesnt mention ring groove depth.
It gives you side clearance,gap and width of rings.
What are the measurements for the ring groove depths on a genuine ford au piston?

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Found out that depth yet? It would help me alot but the fact that ford dont have the spec for it makes me wonder why they wouldnt list it. im going to try and get the specs page up.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

have a look at the ford spec sheet

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/gillandshan/AUSpecs.jpg

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I am going to my workshop today and have some pistons from an EB (trw pistons) and a 1999/2000 explorer engine. I think I also have some EF pistons somewhere, but may not be able to find them since I did that engine a while ago. I will measure them and post the results later tonight.

I think that it's most likely the ring groove depths aren't listed in the Ford literature because it's not a parameter that wears (like side clearance, end gap etc does). And it is also assumed that Ford replacement parts would be used that would be the correct ones for the job.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Here are the ring groove depth measurements I took. 1991 assembled EB 5.0 V8 and 1999/2000 assembled Explorer 5.0 V8. Measurements are in mm.

Top Middle Oil
EB TRW 4.72 4.72 3.32
Explorer 4.44 4.85 3.40

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Are these details available when you purchase a ring set, as part of the specs?
Or are the rings just different and the manufacturers dont say that.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

If you provide the details to the shop where you buy the rings, it is up to them to supply the correct rings. The ring manufacturers do generally provide this information in the catalogs that the speed shops have. But the EF-AU windsors are a bit of an old-ball situation since the "performance motor" in USA was the MOD motor from 1994 onwards. Ford Australia used a truck motor and tweaked it up. So the US aftermarket is a lot less interested in making parts for a truck engine. Then Ford Australia made internal changes mid-model to make it even more difficult to correctly cross-reference back to the original US engine specs.

I suggest you ring ACL and discuss your project. Give them the VIN from the vehicle and they should be able to confirm (or deny) suitability of the Mahle rings I suggested earlier.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Of course there's an easy way to fix all this....
Now what is it? anyone anyone?

Can anyone say stroker :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:54 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
Of course there's an easy way to fix all this....
Now what is it? anyone anyone?

Can anyone say stroker :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brett

YES a 351 based stroker!

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

I remember having trouble buying rings to suit std AU pistons, and XA Falcon is spot on. The issue is the depth of the ring (the oil ring pack?), not the thickness.

I have a feeling I may have used oil ring pack from one set and compression rings from another set...?

I bought them from Wollongong Auto Supplies, just searched as many catalogues as I could with the measurements id taken. The guys there where helpful.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
If you provide the details to the shop where you buy the rings, it is up to them to supply the correct rings. The ring manufacturers do generally provide this information in the catalogs that the speed shops have. But the EF-AU windsors are a bit of an old-ball situation since the "performance motor" in USA was the MOD motor from 1994 onwards. Ford Australia used a truck motor and tweaked it up. So the US aftermarket is a lot less interested in making parts for a truck engine. Then Ford Australia made internal changes mid-model to make it even more difficult to correctly cross-reference back to the original US engine specs.

I suggest you ring ACL and discuss your project. Give them the VIN from the vehicle and they should be able to confirm (or deny) suitability of the Mahle rings I suggested earlier.

Cheers. dont have the vin, its a wreckers motor. Just the engine number.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next