Fordmods Logo

Extractors - Convince me to get them?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Extractors - Convince me to get them??
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I have a stock NC Fairlane 5.0 in immaculate condition. (138,000km)

Im thinking extractors and exhaust..... BUT here is my case against them...

Ive had the injected 302W motor before. I fitted extractors and full exhaust system (3 inch) including duel cats. I drove out of the exhaust shop and to be honest there wasnt a massive improvement in power despite the exhaust guy claiming he has seen 20rwkw gains on the same car.. Yeah the sound was much better...

I chucked it on the dyno and it ran 160rwhp. That is with stock motor and full exhaust system including extractors.. I reckon it would have done 145-150rwhp stock as a rock..

Also I recently had a LS1 SS commodore.. Stock with mafless tune it saw 202rwkw. I added extractors and twin 2.5 inch exhaust and on the same dyno it ran 214rwkw. So 12 rwkw on a higher output motor...

A full system would cost $1200 with extractors so bang for buck it doesnt look good.. Especially on a car thats worth $4000-5000

What is your rebuttal??

I hope you can rebutt me as I want to get them even if it is just a few horsepower.

Gone to a better place

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:32 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Do it just for the sound initially, knowing that any mods you later give the engine will deliver results exponentially compared to the stock system. I dont reckon there are many mods that you could do to a 5.0 that a good exhaust wouldn't make better. :)

'97 V8 EL Ghia Webasto 400 sunroof, Tint, Parnell VSI LPG, UPC 330mm brake upgrade (drilled), Pacemaker twin system, T5 conversion (Billet Products shifter)

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:31 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Without knowing what headers you had before a 3" single would lose too much torque on a stock engine and remember peak power figures are not worth talking about....it's everywhere else that's important. 20kw at the peak is useless if you lose 20lb/ft off idle...especially in a fairlane.
I'd get 1 5/8" primary pacemakers but I'd stay with a 2 1/2" single and stock cats.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

saying an exhaust wil give you x kw is a bit deceptive. On a stock car I doubt an a generalisation you would see more than 10.

If it's already modified and the exhaust is restricting it then maybe more.

I would go for headers with relatively narrow and long primaries to get better bottom end torque and stick with the 2.5in system as was said above.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

A set of pacemakers are worlds ahead of the pre apprentice effort of the factory manifolds. Made a difference with my LWB Ford when combined with a single 2.5" system.

Don't compare these motors with a LS1. Even though the chevy has more poke, their cast iron manifolds have pretty good flow rates and aren't a bottleneck until you reach about 270kW at the fly.

I guess you have to ask yourself why you bought a V8 Fairlane in the first place. A comfortable cruiser or a street bruiser?

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Personally I bought my EF xr8 purely for the sound. It already had pacemakers extractors in into dual exhaust. Sounds a treat and worth every penny.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB GT fakey

QLD, Australia

extractors and a good exhaust can also help your fuel economy as the gasses flow a lot easier. Sounds heaps better too.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Good things cost money.

All seriousness, thats the price of them. They are worth the money when you look at the materials, r+d to make them then fitting.

It just depends on how much you like your car, whether you want a bit more power and whether you think its worthwhil spending 20% of the cars value on a modification that will give you another 5% power that is freed up.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nope! Can't have another NC out there better than mine :P
Not that i'm saying mines the best before you asswipes start flaming me :twisted: Just responding to the posted question! :D

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Get them or I'll chop your balls off

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Have a look at your factory headers and you'll soon make your mind up, you'll be dialling the exhaust shops number while still wiping the vomit off your mouth.

Im with XR9UTE, Pacemaker PH4000's (1 5/8" primaries, 4-2-1's), stock cats and single 2.5" with one muffler. Great budget system, exact same worked wonders on my mates full stok EL XR8.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

just get the exhaust bloke to cut a couple mufflers out.... probably charge you $50

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XH5LWEPN wrote:
Have a look at your factory headers and you'll soon make your mind up, you'll be dialling the exhaust shops number while still wiping the vomit off your mouth.

Im with XR9UTE, Pacemaker PH4000's (1 5/8" primaries, 4-2-1's), stock cats and single 2.5" with one muffler. Great budget system, exact same worked wonders on my mates full stok EL XR8.

What a crack up....i don't usually laugh at text!! I can just picture a comical image of this guy under the Bonnet of an NC checking out the poor excuse for extractors- vomiting with a phone in the other hand....bloody hilarious!

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

One Drone wrote:
Get them or I'll chop your balls off

thats reason enough... im sold

Seriously though, I have gone through this exercise, yes the stock headers do make you vomit when you compare them to a proper set of extractors (so does the MAF)..

But the difference apart from sound just doesnt really shake your booty..

Assuming the stock trip computers are pretty accurate, the extractors and exhaust on a previous car made about 1 litre per 100km diffeence to fuel economy..

Im definately leaning toward getting them... You go through a process... Ill say 100 times No it doesnt need them but the question keeps coming back into my head and before i know it they will be in

Gone to a better place

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

i think the biggest question is do you intend to do anything else engine wise? If no then is there really any point in making a small increase in power from doing one part alone?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next